But you have such a pretty face.......

Options

Replies

• jennajocummings
    Options
    Growing up chunky, and having a thin sister I used to get that all the time... even from my mother who loved me with all her heart. I don't think (generally speaking) people mean it as an insult. if you come back with a rude comment it just makes you sound bitter. Be thankful you have a pretty face... I can lose weight, but I can't change my face. =)
  • mvatrail
    Options
    Look them straight in the eyes and say " Did you just say use my can of mace" ?
  • jennajocummings
    Options
    But... you do have really pretty face... I don't get it.

EXACTLY.

And just because someone says that doesn't necessarily mean that the rest of you isn't pretty. I've been complimented on my eyes. Does that mean that the rest of me isn't pretty? NO. I've been complimented on my hair. No one ever seems to take offense to those kind of compliments. I think it's our own insecurities that make us take offense to the "pretty face" comment. I'm all about some compliments, whatever kind I can get, I say bring it!

This! ^^^^
  • JAMProphet
    JAMProphet Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I would say, and bless your heart, you have such an ugly soul.

BURN!!!
  • coffeemommaof4
    coffeemommaof4 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Growing up chunky, and having a thin sister I used to get that all the time... even from my mother who loved me with all her heart. I don't think (generally speaking) people mean it as an insult. if you come back with a rude comment it just makes you sound bitter. Be thankful you have a pretty face... I can lose weight, but I can't change my face. =)

very well said.....and that was my exact situation as a child. Thank you.
  • PapaDunx
    PapaDunx Posts: 243
    Options
    Lady Astor : Winston! You are drunk!
    Winston Churchill : Madam, you are ugly, but in the morning, I will be sober.

Take the compliment, for what it is. Better than them saying "Shame you are a lard-*kitten*"

BTW ... you DO have a pretty face.
  • coffeemommaof4
    Options
    Lady Astor : Winston! You are drunk!
    Winston Churchill : Madam, you are ugly, but in the morning, I will be sober.

Take the compliment, for what it is. Better than them saying "Shame you are a lard-*kitten*"

BTW ... you DO have a pretty face.

that one made me giggle......and thank you sir.
  • coffeemommaof4
    Options
    :laugh:
    Look them straight in the eyes and say " Did you just say use my can of mace" ?
  • Ronngie
    Ronngie Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I had an ex boyfriend tell me when we were together, that if I was thin I would be the most beautiful woman in the world. It hurt my feelings so badly, and I hid it from him.
  • Taimarra
    Options
    This one always gets me. Any ideas for a clever comeback, for the ever so dreadful, "you have such a pretty face" comment/insult?

"That makes one of us"? Maybe? (Or is it late, I'm PMSing, hate that "compliment," and am super grumpy? LOL)
  • Ronngie
    Ronngie Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    & you are very pretty :)
  • _JR_
    _JR_ Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Remember, that most people don't even get to hear those words. You are lucky enough to be one of those that do.:flowerforyou:
  • Jonesie86
    Jonesie86 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    "If you think my face is pretty, you should see my mind, heart and soul."
  • coffeemommaof4
    Options
    Remember, that most people don't even get to hear those words. You are lucky enough to be one of those that do.:flowerforyou:

y'all are so insightful this evening....that is a good point. thank you.:smile:
  • coffeemommaof4
    Options
    I had an ex boyfriend tell me when we were together, that if I was thin I would be the most beautiful woman in the world. It hurt my feelings so badly, and I hid it from him.

best part of this post...."ex boyfriend" :wink:
  • laurashapiro
    laurashapiro Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    This one always gets me. Any ideas for a clever comeback, for the ever so dreadful, "you have such a pretty face" comment/insult?

When I was 24 I was dating a man who said the same thing to me. Only, kind of worse. "You are so pretty; why would you let yourself get to this state?" It killed me. I still dont forgive him, but in the end (for me), he was right. I am in no way condoning what he said. It was terrible. Again, though, that was me. I had let my weight spiral out of control. I was 5'6" and about 180.

The funny thing is, at 135, almost 10 years later, I dont know how different I feel inside.

I wanted this post to have a moral to the story, but really... I think the only moral is that what other people say can and will affect you if you let it. If you are happy with your body- then just give those creeps the middle finger and move on. If not, smile, nod, say "how nice of you to voice your opinion," and move on towards the image YOU want to see. The thing is, life moves on. But you get to decide what kind of passenger youre going to be on this train.

And, you DO have a beautiful face. And HEART, for letting a bunch of like-minded strangers weigh in (pardon the pun) on what to do next in an always sticky situation.

XO-
    Laura
    PS: That same man- who knew "exactly" what he wanted- a young, fun wife and no more kids ended up marrying a woman with 3 kids from a previous marriage. The thing is- what we actually want and what we think we want arent always the same thing. You know?
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options

yep.. had my concerned friend.. that is 5'10" and like a buck 40! tell me.. after I hit my heighest wt.. "well no matter what you weigh you will always be really pretty".. kinda like "f the body thats crap on a platter" but hey neck up your gr8.. well boobs up really.. LOL
    oye vey.. I do think its our 'own' take on it tho.. twisint it (when they say you have such a pretty face)..
  • Fattymagooo
    Fattymagooo Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Water off a duck's back, my dear. If they're douchey enough to say that, it's their problem. There is no reason to sink to their level.
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    "If you think my face is pretty, you should see my mind, heart and soul."
    Thats amazing! Love it.
  • lulu9663
    lulu9663 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Someone said that to me once. Conversation went as follows:

Them: "But you have such a pretty face..."
    Me: "Well, at least that makes one of us!"

I don't believe I ever talked to that person again. Not a huge loss on my part though, that person tried to drag me down all the time.