Pizza dough

Options
OMG i never thought i would have so much trouble finding a low cal pizza dough recipe.

I promised my daughter that we would make pizza for tea one night and she choose tonight, the topping i have no problem with its the dough!!!

I need a recipe for a low cal dough that i can make quickly please help!!

Replies

• ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    I dont make my own dough when i do my homemade pizzas, i use a pita . Then its like a personal pizza size. They are 150 calories for 1 pita. ( Toufayan Oat Pita)
  • Allyice
    Allyice Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try making a Cauliflower Crust Base? I haven't tried it yet, but I want to. It looks really good:

http://www.recipegirl.com/2012/01/16/cauliflower-crust-hawaiian-pizza/
  • AEB_WV
    AEB_WV Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I use flatout brand flat bread. 90 cals
  • eatrainsmile
    eatrainsmile Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    http://www.kitchenminions.com/2011/09/buckwheat-pizza-dough.html

I am planning on making this sometime soon.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    If you can just go for a really thin base, a normal dough shouldn't be too bad?
  • Drussander
    Drussander Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    You can use a high fiber tortilla (use Tumaro's at 60 cals) if you are worried about the calories and carbs, but a thin rolled "cracker crust" isn't too hard to make and you can use whole wheat. Otherwise, is a little bread really gonna kill you? It's the cheese that is calorie dense.

I personally go very light on the cheese or no cheese at all. Cheeseless pizza can be great if you pile on the mushrooms and spinach. I compromise - I sprinkle or grate some parm on my "cheeseless pizza" and use a whole wheat crust.

St. Louis style pizza is known for its cracker crust. You should be able to find a recipe online. Here's an example:

http://www.food.com/recipe/thin-cracker-crust-pizza-177821
  • OmegaGator
    OmegaGator Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I dont make my own dough when i do my homemade pizzas, i use a pita . Then its like a personal pizza size. They are 150 calories for 1 pita. ( Toufayan Oat Pita)

^ this is my favourite way of doing it!
  • Lambchoplollypop
    Options
    I make a normal dough but using wholemeal flour and divide into mini pizzas to reduce calories. Healthier but not going without and not something you'd have every day! I'd top with a sensible amount of fresh mozzarella, homemade tomato sauce and as many veggies as I can fit on!
  • amortize20
    amortize20 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/tv-show-recipes/the-fabulous-baker-brothers-recipes/pizza-dough-recipe

i use the recipe above and split the dough into 100g pieces; that makes 16 pizza bases around the 150 calorie mark and they are a pretty good 8 inch in size. you can freeze the remainder for another day(s), the only down side is the time that it takes to make the batch.
  • Astraea1976
    Astraea1976 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for some really top ideas.

When i have more time i will try that cauliflower one without prior knowledge given to my daughter may well be a way to get veggies in her!!!

I am going to opt for a normal pizza dough but replacing some of the white flour for wholemeal and making it as thin as possible

I have made pizza before with a tortilla wrap and it came out lovely but she wants a proper pizza base this time!!

Like most say in moderation is good and loaded with yummy veggie toppings mostly
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options

I have made pizza before with a tortilla wrap and it came out lovely but she wants a proper pizza base this time!!

The only thing proper-anything is good handwashing while working with food, maintaining a clean kitchen while working with food, proper temperatures for cooking, kitchen safety with sharp tools.

There's no such thing as a proper crust.

There are multiple choices available from country to country on crust options. From the old-school cracker crust pizza of chicago, to the deep dish of New England, The Sicilian, the pita dough of Greece, two styles of Okonomyaki of Japan, or the hardy grains made of semolina durham wheat in Italy... they are all proper in their own 'home'.

Any reason you cant have your daughter experience pizza from different cultures? You can easily make it into not just a cooking lesson, but an educational experience of the country to which said-pizza might represent. So much to learn and embrace.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    System issues - deleted duplicate
  • CheekyRunner
    CheekyRunner Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I like to use flat bread. Kids love to put on their own topping on their very own pizza. =)