Skinny Fat ... is that my problem?

Options
Could I be headed for "skinny fat" (aka Skinny Obese)? Skinny fat is being thin, but with high body fat ( instead of genuinely lean and fit). What a horrible thought - that losing weight is not enough. That you can be thin, but actually less healthy than an overweight "fit and active" person.

I might have to rethink my last 10 pounds. I want to lose them because at 130 lbs (5'6'") I am still just too .... jiggly. But maybe the problem is NOT that I weigh "too much". Maybe the problem is I am headed for "skinny fat". I might be better served to concentrate on "reshaping" my pounds, rather than losing more.

This is something for me to consider!! [If you are interested in the "skinny fat" concept, google it .... there are many references online.]

Oh My Gosh. Skinny Obese me. :sad:

Replies

• dolce7vita
    Options
    First, I seriously doubt that you are skinny fat at 5'6'' and 130lbs! Are you exercising? What is your routine? Because I am 5'4'', and I weigh 8lbs more than you... and am in no way'skinny fat,' but I work out (cardio and strength training) daily. Try some strength training, but remember that this may cause you to gain muscle and thus weight.
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    DeeDee,

I think as we age it becomes really hard to gain muscle. It doesn't just happen by popping in a DVD, we need to make it happen. Incorporating strength training into your routine would be great!

As for the jiggly...I am not sure about your childbirth status...but even if you have no children, age can make our skin do things that seem unimaginable prior to 35! Could it just be your skin that isn't as tight and firm as it once was. I am not sure where it is but there was a great post about skin. Someone here suggested drybrushing every day and lots of lotion and drinking water to help our skin regain some tone. She also said that the older that we are the longer it takes.

So, try adding some weights and take care of your skin and see if that helps. Let me know!

DD
  • deedeehawaii
    deedeehawaii Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    age can make our skin do things that seem unimaginable prior to 35! Could it just be your skin that isn't as tight and firm as it once was.
    Oh man is that the truth! I"m 57, and would never have dreamed that the body could morph so much with age. It almost makes me afraid of what the next decade will bring. :noway:
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    I definitely have to agree on the strength training front ... I've always been a horseback rider (and thus do a lot more farm work than the average girl), and so while I'm fat fat, I have a great musculature underneath. There are 1,000 ways to do it, but for your health, to stave off osteoporosis, etc., I hope you can get to a Target or a ****'s or whatever to grab some weights for strength training!

Good luck! :flowerforyou: And the jigglies will go away!
  • arasm
    arasm Posts: 65
    Options
    Dr Oz just had a show about this. it is a problem for many woman but it seems to affect woman who are naturally thin, (born that way) and don't watch what they eat or workout @ all, because they don't think they have to. They seem to never have had any problems with their weight. it doesn't sound like that is your problem from what you have said. Stay focused on eating well & a good combo of Cardio & Weights. The weights will be what firms you up. Good luck!
  • lose2cruise
    Options
    age can make our skin do things that seem unimaginable prior to 35! Could it just be your skin that isn't as tight and firm as it once was.
    Oh man is that the truth! I"m 57, and would never have dreamed that the body could morph so much with age. It almost makes me afraid of what the next decade will bring. :noway:

I'm 55, turning 56 this year. I know exactly what you are saying. I have an friend, who is in her 70's. She said that as we age, we shrink and that extra skin kinda settles in the middle, no place for it to go. I just keep plugging away. I know my body will never look like it did prior to 50, but I'm proud of what I've accomplished so far!
  • ccounts
    Options

I'm 55, turning 56 this year. I know exactly what you are saying. I have an friend, who is in her 70's. She said that as we age, we shrink and that extra skin kinda settles in the middle, no place for it to go. I just keep plugging away. I know my body will never look like it did prior to 50, but I'm proud of what I've accomplished so far!

I'm 56, just 2 months away from 57, and I definitely jiggle more than ever! I think the shrinkage concept is accurate, as I'm already nearly two inches shorter than I used to be. Now I'm taking calcium and vitamin D and laying off the diet sodas, not more than one a week. I can attest to strength training, though, because that really makes a difference. Ultimately when I lose all my excess weight, I may opt for a tummy tuck, because my abdomen never bounced back after childbirth, no matter what I've done to trim in that area, no matter how little I've weighed.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    ok deedee,

I'm glad you brought this up. It's definitely a problem for many people (on here). I see skinny fat and potentially future skinny fat people (ususally the younger ones who don't exercise or do nothing but some cardio training) all over this website.

First let's look at the concept of skinny fat and why it's bad.
    Skinny fat isn't necessarily a high percentage of body fat, it's more of a low percentage of lean tissue and a low bone density. This is bad, especially as we age. Bone density obviously keeps our bones from being brittle and breaking, but bones also serve as storage for calcium and potassium. So what the goal is ideally, is to have a low body fat % yes, but also to have a good lean tissue mass amount. I.E. being 5'3" and weighting 95 lbs isn't necessarilly a great thing for you(as an example), while yes, you will reduce the stress from fat on your cardiovascular and orthopedic systems, you can still have issues with your metabolic systems and blood chemical ratios (such as blood sugar, arterial plaque, cholesterol...et), and also having low muscle mass can affect you in other ways, such as lower back pain and leg pain, chronic fatigue, nagging bone injuries. Basically all things that lower your quality of life and increase stress levels.

So how do you fight this? Well, first make sure you eat a nutritionally sound diet, that's first and foremost. And by that I mean not only allowing your self the right kind of calories, vitamins, and minerals, but also HOW MUCH calories...etc.
    Second, do more than just cardio workouts, mix it up, ad some resistance training, or weight training, or functional training (like plyometrics, hiking, off road bike riding, things that incorporate multiple muscle groups and force the core to engage regularly), do these types of activities for at least 45 minutes a day 2 to 3 times a week. I can't emphasize how important your core muscles are, you can be as strong as an Ox in your legs and/or arms, but if your core is weak, you are weak, you can do serious harm to yourself by trying to use those muscles in functional ways, but not having the core muscles (used as sympathetic and co-contractor functions, which mean they HELP, but they don't do the main work).
  • deedeehawaii
    Options
    Thanks SHBoss. Your information is right along the lines of what I have been thinking about. I've always just lost the extra pounds before, if needed, and not worried about exercising so much. But now I'm starting to really rethink that attitude. At 57 years, 5'6" and 130 pounds, when I look at myself in the mirror (scans clothes), I cannot really see how being 10 pounds lighter will make a difference. I will just be a "skinnier" saggy woman. I think I need to refocus. I think that maybe the key for me is EXERCISE. Which is my hardest challenge to keep up on. :frown:

You mentioned core exercises. We have a Zumba class in town here. Do you know if that is core exercise, or only cardio (without core)? I'm just beginning my research on this, and your input is very welcomed. Thanks.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Thanks SHBoss. Your information is right along the lines of what I have been thinking about. I've always just lost the extra pounds before, if needed, and not worried about exercising so much. But now I'm starting to really rethink that attitude. At 57 years, 5'6" and 130 pounds, when I look at myself in the mirror (scans clothes), I cannot really see how being 10 pounds lighter will make a difference. I will just be a "skinnier" saggy woman. I think I need to refocus. I think that maybe the key for me is EXERCISE. Which is my hardest challenge to keep up on. :frown:

You mentioned core exercises. We have a Zumba class in town here. Do you know if that is core exercise, or only cardio (without core)? I'm just beginning my research on this, and your input is very welcomed. Thanks.

zumba is a good core workout, anything that forces you to maintain your balance is good, but zumba alone won't solve your Dilemma. You should do some research on core exercises. The good news is, you can do core routines in about 10 minutes, and because of the type of muscle they are you can work them to failure almost every day without much in the way of draw backs. Careful with core though, try to do too much too fast and you can wind up hurting your back, make sure you incorporate proper stretching before and after, and don't push it too much too fast.
  • deedeehawaii
    Options
    Thanks. I'll so some research, and try to find a starting point without hurting myself in the process. We are very limited where I live for any sort of workout options. I'll sort of have to piece this together on my own. The Zumba class is one of the few options that is nearby.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Thanks. I'll so some research, and try to find a starting point without hurting myself in the process. We are very limited where I live for any sort of workout options. I'll sort of have to piece this together on my own. The Zumba class is one of the few options that is nearby.

I can give you some directed exercises to start with if you like. core work usually requires little to no equipment. One thing I can say that is a huge benefit for core work is a medicine ball, Danskin makes lighter ones that would be good to start with. Something around 6 or 8 lbs would be good. You can do good supine (as long as you aren't pregnant, don't do supine work pregnant!) twisting oblique moves with a medicine ball. The medicine balls are also good for later when you want to use weight with your crunch type work. I would stay away from crunches at the start, if your core (lower back specifically) is weak, incorrect crunch technique, or any curling of the back while supine, can cause back injury. Good beginner core routines are planks (modified planks if regular planks are too hard at first), supine medicine ball twists, Russian twists, knee ups if you have a chin-up bar (chin-up bars another cheap, wonderful tool if you don't have a gym around you, for 20 bucks it's a great core and arm workout, even if you can only do 1, it's great for the upper back, chest, arms, shoulders...etc.)
    Ahh, lets see, what else. Reverse crunches are good, just remember to keep your neck and head stiff. Leg lifts are also good, as long as you remember to engage your abs and keep your back from arching while you do them (hands should go under the butt!).
    Again, the enemy of core is a curved neck and spine. On almost all of these you should first make sure you contract your ab muscles and keep them contracted throughout the exercise, and also make sure that your back and neck stay as straight as possible. If you can do this, then you can attempt crunches, it's vital to keep your back and neck straight during crunches, or you can hurt your neck.
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Thanks Banks! I always look forward to your replies. I happen to be one of your "stalkers" :laugh: and if anyone has a question I say, "I don't know, ask banks!" :drinker:

I have been working out regularly for just over a year now (strength training and aerobic mix) and although I am stronger than I have ever been I agree that my core is where I need the most help. My back and neck still hurt when I am doing crunches. The good news is that a year ago I couldn't even do this one type of ab excercise and now I can do 20....(funny story...I was lying on my back, knees bent, holding a light ball towards the ceiling and the trainer is telling me to lift and push the ball to the ceiling...he was very patient as he kept telling me "go ahead" "you can start now" etc until I started laughing and had to tell him it isn't that I am stupid...I just couldn't even do 1!!!) so vast improvement but I want more!!! I want to be stronger! and I want to get rid of these final pounds!

Am I correct that pilates are pretty much all core? I have the Maria Windsor DVD. And DeeDeeHawaii, you can find it online too. Youtube Maria Windsor and look at her 20 minute workout.

I am also moving into better eating. I am convinced that the body can tell the difference between 100 calories in an apple and 100 calories in a "snack pack" of chips! I might be "under" calories for the day but what is the point if you feel like garbage because I have been stuffing my face with low calorie non-foods! So, all of the "diet" stuff is gone! If it isn't real it isn't passing my lips. (BTW I do believe that Lindt 90% cocoa chocolate counts as real food.:laugh: . I need at least one vice.)

One last thought... drinking water is good for the skin or so I have heard!:wink:
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Thanks Banks! I always look forward to your replies. I happen to be one of your "stalkers" :laugh: and if anyone has a question I say, "I don't know, ask banks!" :drinker:

I have been working out regularly for just over a year now (strength training and aerobic mix) and although I am stronger than I have ever been I agree that my core is where I need the most help. My back and neck still hurt when I am doing crunches. The good news is that a year ago I couldn't even do this one type of ab excercise and now I can do 20....(funny story...I was lying on my back, knees bent, holding a light ball towards the ceiling and the trainer is telling me to lift and push the ball to the ceiling...he was very patient as he kept telling me "go ahead" "you can start now" etc until I started laughing and had to tell him it isn't that I am stupid...I just couldn't even do 1!!!) so vast improvement but I want more!!! I want to be stronger! and I want to get rid of these final pounds!

Am I correct that pilates are pretty much all core? I have the Maria Windsor DVD. And DeeDeeHawaii, you can find it online too. Youtube Maria Windsor and look at her 20 minute workout.

I am also moving into better eating. I am convinced that the body can tell the difference between 100 calories in an apple and 100 calories in a "snack pack" of chips! I might be "under" calories for the day but what is the point if you feel like garbage because I have been stuffing my face with low calorie non-foods! So, all of the "diet" stuff is gone! If it isn't real it isn't passing my lips. (BTW I do believe that Lindt 90% cocoa chocolate counts as real food.:laugh: . I need at least one vice.)

One last thought... drinking water is good for the skin or so I have heard!:wink:

pilates are a lot of core, and they are good, a lot of people don't like them because of how long the sessions are though. It's a personal choice, but if you do pilates, and haven't done them before, make sure you go with a beginner routine, or one that shows modified forms for newbies, or else you'll find yourself quitting like five minutes in because you can't do ANY of the forms.