knee pain - massage tips?

Options
Just below my left knee (about 2 inches maybe), on the outside, I am experiencing pain. It hurts most going up and down stairs. I suspect it's due to an increase in jogging that I'm doing.

Anyone got any good massage tips? I'm rice-ing it as much as I can and I don't want to take too many painkillers.

Replies

• Poss25
    Poss25 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I don't know about massage tips, but an anti-inflammatory topical products such as Difflam Gel is quite beneficial.
  • Krissie_Triaxis
    Options
    Go see a physio, as you might have what i had which is runner's knee or IT Band Syndrome. Usually the pain is like a fire on the top of the tibia on the outside just below the knee. Mine kicks in at around 4km when I'm running and the pain just comes on all of a sudden.

See a physio as you could have leg chain issues wher the glutes aren't doing their job, and the quads have taken over (which is what caused mine) or you may be over pronating, or you might have slight misalighnment in the knee.

Otherwise in the interim, ice it, and foam roller the IT Band, and do some pilate based exercises that focus on the glutes (the medius gluteus to be precise).

Hope that helps lovely, and hope to see you soon - we're in Scruffy's later this month xxx
  • missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I went out for a walk at lunch time and whilst it's not like fire, it's definitely uncomfortable, and radiating around the back into my calf now. I'm going to get my dance instructor to look at it tonight, as she's a qualified masseuse too, and I'll make enquiries into a physio.

Krissie - we'll be there. Won't be able to stay late, as we're flying off to Rome the next day, but we'll deffo see you there!
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a tight IT band, very common in runners, especailly new.

Google some stretches for it and get yourself a foam roller. Nothing works as good as a foam roller on tight IT bands. You often have no idea of how sore your IT band is until you get on a roller.
  • missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I have a foam roller but I think I've been using it inefficiently. I'll google for some ideas on how to use it. THank you!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I have a foam roller but I think I've been using it inefficiently. I'll google for some ideas on how to use it. THank you!

When you're using your foam roller (if you're doing it right) you'll actually hit painful spots - you want to focus on those. My massage therapist got me using my foam roller after every run (I missed 6 weeks of running last year due to ITBS).

BTW - you don't want a masseuse, you want to see either a physiotherapist or massage therapist (preferably one that specializes in sports rehab). A masseuse will give you a nice relaxing massage (which is a very pleasant experience) a sports trained massage therapist will probably make you cry but you will thank him or her later.
  • stljam
    stljam Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    When you're using your foam roller (if you're doing it right) you'll actually hit painful spots - you want to focus on those.

a sports trained massage therapist will probably make you cry but you will thank him or her later.

This is extremely true. If you are doing it right and have issues, the foam rollers and massage sticks hurt like a SOB but nothing helps you heal faster.

You might also consider investing in a massage stick as well (like The Stick or the gold's gym version at wal-mart). It's function is somewhat like a foam roller but is easier to use on certain parts of the body for certain people. I use mine mostly on quads and calf. I'm not sure how it would be for the IT band. Anyone know?

Also, do you wear a patella/it band when running? I wonder if that would help.

Having been through a shoulder labrum repair, i completely concur that the physio/physical therapist will definitely try to make you cry but the pain will be part of the process that heals you. I don't think they are generally sadists, lol.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    figure out what is causing the pain. it could definitely be a tight IT band, or a problem in the hips even.
    pain in one area isn't always caused by a direct problem in that area.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Go see a doctor or PT. Massage isn't going to help the issue much, I'm afraid. Some simple stretches and exercises very well might though.