Oh geez...

Options
What is my deal? Am I bipolar or what? Everyday I wake up feeling great, ready to start the day, excited about all my progress and then BAM at noon I'm a different person. After spending all morning with the baby, dogs, cleaning I just want to derail all progess, pig out on chips and take a nap. I feel like 3 different people during the day. First is the motivator, second is Ms. Negative, and third is my own cheerleader (after I workout of course). Any suggestions on how to get over the mid-day slump. It's exhausting trying to talk myself into working out and out of eating bad foods.

Replies

• EmilyStrick
    Options
    maybe you should take a nap...but, of course, skip the pigging out on chips part! ;)

i know how you feel and sometimes you're just tired and being tired makes you cranky and being cranky makes you want to eat. so nap...
  • BassBoneBabe
    BassBoneBabe Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I get that way in the afternoons, generally because my little refuses to take a nap. I don't want to pig out, but definitely get a bit irritated. I try to tell myself to calm down and move onto something else. Sometimes taking a hot shower or exercising (then showering) in the mid day helps me to get out of that funk. Good luck!
  • claire30
    claire30 Posts: 153
    Options
    Do you eat a breakfast that will leave you feeling full, and provide you with energy? Like porridge pats, with a small spoonful of PB, as it gives you energy and fills you up.
    Maybe have a small healthy snack when you get the slump in energy?
  • jenlhugg
    jenlhugg Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    When are you working out? That is exacly how I used to feel. Waking up I felt great, then after trying to deal with everyone, I ended up napping, eating crappy, and being generally displeased with myself. but, in the past month or so I have been working out in the morning, after eating a good breakfast, and I fink myself not wanting to take a nap around noon, and generally being more positive during the day. The only thing different is starting the day off with a decent breakfast, and working out early. And it really has made a BIG difference.
  • rene71
    rene71 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My slump is right around 3pm! So I totally get what you're saying! I have to plan my meals and make sure I have a good, healthy snack at that time. I have to train myself to remember that it will only last a little while and then I'll feel rotten for messing things up. I would rather battle it out than have to deal with those negative feelings. To both of our slumps.. ARGH!
  • melbhall
    melbhall Posts: 519
    Options
    I think the general consensus is that maybe my timing is off. I know a lot of people hit an afternoon slump so maybe I should get up a little earlier and work out first. Then there's no dreading working out all day. And I always make better food choices after I work out. I've always been afraid my little one would wake up and then start waking up early everyday. I've just got to try it to see what works. I just wish I loved exercising, I did in the past and I'm hoping as it gets easier I will love it again.
  • jodielopez
    Options
    My mom always told me that atleast a 30 minute nap will cure you of the late slump
    also at 7 months I would put my son in a bouncy swing hed see me bounce up and
    down and then he was out like lightning because if they see you bouncing up and down he will want to do what
    you are doing.Do you have alot of help from your husband when he comes home from work? Do you enjoy cooking ?
    or do you take out alot(thats one of my big poblems)I also bought a snuggie and put christian on my back that was one of the best
    investments I ever made. Good luck Keep me posted.
  • boniekatie
    Options
    Earlier exercise is a good thing to try, if that doesn't do the trick try a mid morning healthy snack. I know I always feel like pigging out and really negative when my blood sugar drops too low.
  • melbhall
    melbhall Posts: 519
    Options
    My mom always told me that atleast a 30 minute nap will cure you of the late slump
    also at 7 months I would put my son in a bouncy swing hed see me bounce up and
    down and then he was out like lightning because if they see you bouncing up and down he will want to do what
    you are doing.Do you have alot of help from your husband when he comes home from work? Do you enjoy cooking ?
    or do you take out alot(thats one of my big poblems)I also bought a snuggie and put christian on my back that was one of the best
    investments I ever made. Good luck Keep me posted.

A nap sounds great but I get plenty of sleep at night. I just feel guilty taking a nap with all of this housework and execising I need to be doing! I do get a little help from my husband when he gets home but not much. He is gone from 5:30am to 8:00pm and I usually feel guilty asking him to help me out. I sometimes have him feed the baby his nightly bottle and put him in bed but that's about it. I still seem to have housework after that so I feel like being a SAHM is a neverending job! Don't get me wrong, when hubby is off he is a HUGE help! But right now he's working 11 out of 12 days. Yikes. I do enjoy cooking I just don't know how to do alot. We hardly eat takeout but if we do it's chik fil a or sushi. I'm working to make cooking every day my priority so I can control what we eat and how much!
  • sweetbn
    sweetbn Posts: 318
    Options
    I know what you mean.. I get off work at 5PM and even though I sit at a desk all day ALL I want to do is lay down and eat.. so what I do is just NOT sit down - make sure as soon as I get home I change and get outside running! Because if I do sit and try to catch up on my TV/DVR... well, so long running...
  • TnTHawkins
    TnTHawkins Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean.. I get off work at 5PM and even though I sit at a desk all day ALL I want to do is lay down and eat.. so what I do is just NOT sit down - make sure as soon as I get home I change and get outside running! Because if I do sit and try to catch up on my TV/DVR... well, so long running...

That is what I do, but I get on the treadmill. If I could get myself out of bed at 5am, then I would do it first thing.

Melissa, try eating a good breakfeast, getting in a little exercise in the morning to see if you have more energy in the afternoon. I love to take my naps on the weekend because I feel so refreshed.

Good Luck.
  • suejonestx
    suejonestx Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Working out early in the day might help you not want to "ruin it" with chips and snacks later. My worst time for wanting to snack is before dinner. If you have lo-cal, healthy food on hand, it would be easy to grab that instead of chips...yogurt, fruit, low-cal bars, carrots. Also, drink lots of water. I read that most of the time when we think we are hungry, we are really just thirsty and misreading our body's cues!

Good luck.
    Sue
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    That's all you can do- talk yourself into doing the good stuff, and out of doing the bad stuff. This whole process involves a LOT Of self-talk. I talk to myself constantly. "You don't need that, Brenda!" "Get off the couch and workout, Brenda!"

I wake up motivated, and I'm fine until around dinner, then I have to fight with myself to do the right thing until bedtime. I'm starting to do my workouts before dinner because I get so hungry after working out. I've always done my workouts at night before bed, but I'm realizing that if I leave my workout until after all of my calories are gone, I workout and I'm starving, and I'll obviously want to eat.