Half marathon fueling?????

Options
Just wondering how many of my mfp peeps use any gel packs, food, or whatever to keep their energy up during a half marathon....or do you not use anything??? Running my first half in three weeks and just want to be prepared.

Replies

• bridies01
    bridies01 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I hate those gels, I have tried them but they are nasty. They work for a lot of people though. I usually just carry fruit snacks with me on long runs or races. I really like the Mott's fruit snacks from Costo! The only other thing that doesn't make me gag is Power Bar energy blasts, they are fruit snack - like in texture. Good luck!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Yep, 1 gel is good for me. A half takes me ~2 hours.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Mine is in 2 weeks and I've asked a similar question in the past. Tried the gels and I find them gross. I usually just eat a well balanced breakfast 3-4 hrs prior and a banana 30 mins before my long runs. The day before anything over 10 miles I increase my carbs to 60%. During my long runs I just pop a jolly rancher in my mouth and it helps with dry mouth and that little bit of sugar is all I need. But this is what works for me. If I were you I'd be testing out NOW on your LR what works. You don't want to try something new the day of the race!
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    You should have enough energy in your system to keep you going for a HM. However, a gel or sweets might just make you feel happier that you are not going to run out.

What you want to avoid is anything that will upset your stomach - so whatever you decide on, if anything, try it before hand.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    I hate those gels, I have tried them but they are nasty. They work for a lot of people though. I usually just carry fruit snacks with me on long runs or races. I really like the Mott's fruit snacks from Costo! The only other thing that doesn't make me gag is Power Bar energy blasts, they are fruit snack - like in texture. Good luck!

Try Clif Shot Blox... it's like candy.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    For those who don't like gels/chews... try a rice crispy treat. Good for a quick sugar high to get you through the last couple of miles, packs/stores well, and let's face it... no energy food is going to taste as good as a rice crispy treat!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    The friend with whom I'm doing my long runs in preparation for my first half has run a bunch of half and full marathons. His advice to me re: gels and stuff is to try them out to see how you react to them on a long training run. Then don't use them in training so your body doesn't get accustomed to having them. His experience has been that when you use them in the race after having not used them in training they give you a little pick-me-up and help you finish a little stronger - like a little shot of nitrous in your car.
  • draculaspointer
    draculaspointer Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I use dried fruits because the gels/beans/etc make me sick. Dried pineapple, cranberries, cherries, and raisins are usually in my mix. Just dont eat too much, especially of "fibrous" fruits (mangoes, appricots). I usually eat 4 or 5 pieces around mile 5 and another 4 or 5 around mile 10 if I need it. All in all, its between 2 and 3 tablespoons per run, depending on the fruit taken. And about 50 calories total. I think its more of a mental thing than anything for me at this point though because 50 calories isnt much!
  • mnstrpc
    mnstrpc Posts: 109
    Options
    I use honey stinger chews. Kinda taste like gummy bears.
  • Jenada79
    Jenada79 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am training for a full marathon at the minute and I am going to do a half in December. hope its all going well for you! I use vega and gu gels. I pop one after an hour in long training runs. I would suggest trying them out first in training to see if you need them or like them but I find they help.:smile:
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast beforehand (oatmeal) but don't need fuel or water during a half marathon. I ate a couple of Gu gels during my full.
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Be careful about doing untried things close to race, nothing could be worse than taking a untested gel and finding it disagrees with you. For a half, i personally wouldnt bother, your carb load should be sufficient, but this question can become complicated by your pace, If you're going to finish 2+ hours you may want a gel around half way