Aerobic vs. Anaerobic

Options
I was very recently told that I may be exercising too much or too hard and need to tone down my intensity level. SERIOUSLY?!?! Has anybody actually had this problem?

Background info:
24 y/o Female 5'5"
7 months post ACL reconstruction
Former Soccer/Softball/Roller Derby Player - this means that there was a time where I was playing indoor soccer 2 nights per week and softball 1 night per week. I gave both of those up to play derby where I was on skates for over 9 (yes, NINE) hours per week hitting people and skating real fast. I then joined a Boot Camp, and did that 2 nights a week in addition to the 3 nights a week of skating. Basically, I exercised A LOT and was in really great shape. I have an athletic build, I always have, so I'm not in search of unattainable goals.

Currently:
March - 176.6 lbs (post-surgery)
CW - 165 (ish)
I'm in week 4 of C25K - I run 3 days per week, and alternate my running days so that I have a day inbetween.
I try to go to group classes 2X per week as well. I do an Interval class, Pilates/Yoga, or a Zumba-type dance cardio class (it's not Zumba, but its similar).
I eat 1380 cals per day, but I wear a FitBit, so I'm always allowed exercise calories which I do eat, and sometimes its all of them, other times its only some.

Why in the world have I only lost 6 pounds in the last 2.5 months? Is it honestly that I am exercising too hard? Am I not eating enough? I could use some insight from others who have been successful in losing weight. My food diary is open (I think...) so feel free to critique that, and before you say it....I know that I'm not the HEALTHIEST eater, but I'm a full time college student and I work 2 part time jobs, so try to understand where I'm coming from :) Thanks in advance!

Replies

• bighorsecreek
    Options
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    hi there, your food diary is not open, but that happens to me when I exercise too much and too hard (often unavoidable bc of my jobs as dance and spin instructor), my weight loss just stalls.
  • Britt_Duffy
    Britt_Duffy Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    hi there, your food diary is not open, but that happens to me when I exercise too much and too hard (often unavoidable bc of my jobs as dance and spin instructor), my weight loss just stalls.

Food Diary is now viewable with a key. If you're reading this, the key is 19 (as in the number nineteen).

Thanks!
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Your exercise doesn't sound excessive, especially since you are an athlete and used to it -- between the C25K and the 2 classes, that's like 30-60 minutes of cardio 5 times a week.
    If anything I'd skip the extra cardio classes and add some weight training.

6 pounds in 2.5 months is pretty good. I would say you're basically on the right track, and just be a little patient.
  • Britt_Duffy
    Options
    Your exercise doesn't sound excessive, especially since you are an athlete and used to it -- between the C25K and the 2 classes, that's like 30-60 minutes of cardio 5 times a week.
    If anything I'd skip the extra cardio classes and add some weight training.

6 pounds in 2.5 months is pretty good. I would say you're basically on the right track, and just be a little patient.

The cardio class also incorporate some really great resistance/light weight training. EX: in RIPPED (the interval class) the R stands for Resistance, and I used 4 lb handweights and we did 5 solid minutes of arm exercises, with no breaks. So does S&S Dance class, we use weighted bars, handweights, and resistance bands. More than that?
  • ixap
    Options
    Food Diary is now viewable with a key.
    Nutritionally your diet is lacking -- seems like there are many days each week with zero vegetables.
    But your overall calories are within reason.
  • ixap
    Options
    The cardio class also incorporate some really great resistance/light weight training. EX: in RIPPED (the interval class) the R stands for Resistance, and I used 4 lb handweights and we did 5 solid minutes of arm exercises, with no breaks. So does S&S Dance class, we use weighted bars, handweights, and resistance bands. More than that?
    Yeah, I've gotten much much much better results with heavier weights than with the little hand weights.
    Those classes sound great as cardio actually, but since you've got that angle covered with your C25K, I'd use that time for compound lifts instead, with heavier dumbbells or barbells - sets of 5-10, heavy enough that you really can't do one more without a rest after the last one. (After you learn the moves properly of course.) Squats, lunges, deadlifts, presses.
  • Britt_Duffy
    Options
    Food Diary is now viewable with a key.
    Nutritionally your diet is lacking -- seems like there are many days each week with zero vegetables.
    But your overall calories are within reason.

I appreciate the feedback....and I'm willing to admit that veggies are really difficult for me, because I'm a picky eater and don't really like many veggies. I was eating a LOT of salads, and get so incredibly bored with them that I've stopped eating them for awhile until I can love them again. I suppose I'll have to work some more veggie snacks into my diet!
  • ixap
    Options
    That does make it harder. I'm lucky that I actually like them.
  • crazyvermont
    crazyvermont Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Your diary really doesn't look bad, so doubt diet is issue. There is different zones for training depending on results t\you;re trying to achieve. When playing football in college, my workouts were intense, yet my weight varied less then 2-3 pounds all year. My workouts are much less strenuous now and I'm losing on weekly basis.
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    i think you are underestimating your cals. or overestimating your work.

Some items on your diary - eg teriayaki stir with two rice - only 300? seems very low to me.

Anyway - 6lbs in 10weeks or so isnt bad. Just keep going.