a little venting.

Options
Ok. 1st off. I really can not get motivated!!! I can not bring myself to go to the gym. I'm just plain lazy and I know it. I want to loose like 10 pounds by March 17th...but I haven't really been doing anything to make that happen! I'm getting frustrated because 2nd off- I am always effin hungry. And people are like well drink water because your probably just thirsty. NOOO thats bull because I drink alottttt of water and and does nothing! NOTHING! And then people say well have a handfull of almonds or nuts..that doesnt do anything either!!!! Im getting so frustrated with myself! Maybe part of the problem is that because Im trying not to eat badly and not to eat alot...all im thinking about is food now. And the bad foods that I want!

UGHHH lol just needed to vent.

Replies

• marissa4354
    Options
    I am with you. Water, protein and fiber do not seem to fill me when I'm hungry. I do not think I eat too badly, but I am always hungry and overcoming surgery so I cannot really exercise.. it sucks! All I want to do is eat!
  • egust01
    Options
    What you are feeling is TOTALLY understandable. The hard thing is, if this is how you feel, you may not be mentally ready to lose weight. As much work as this is physically, it's ten times more mentally challenging and demanding. I think you need to ask yourself if this is really something you can commit to and if this is really something you want to do right now. The mental is just as important as the physical, and you need both to keep on the journey.

That being said, just because you are on a diet doesn't mean you need to starve yourself. Of course drink water and whatnot, but you need to continuously eat throughout the day. Snack on 100 calorie packs, fruit, raw veggies, pita chips, whole wheat english muffins with peanut butter, etc. Keep eating healthy throughout the day and sooner than later you will start to not crave so much food all the time.

Good luck on your journey, and remember you family at MFP is always here for you!
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    are you hungry or are you bored?

for example right now i feel hungry but i know that I am not... I am bored and want to eat.

Be honest with yourself.

You say that you can't get motivated and that you are lazy. How are you going to fix that? Make it REALISTIC. Maybe switch to loose 1/2 lb a week that way you get to eat a little more.
  • melissa19792
    Options
    I know what you mean, I have found that if I eat what I want and just cut it in half then I do not crave the foods. I have lost 35lbs in 2 mo. Try that it may work for you!!
  • justann
    justann Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I hear you! I feel like I'm always starving too! Water doesn't help and if I eat nuts or foods with fiber seems my sodium goes through the roof too. Argh!!!!!
  • sssrip
    sssrip Posts: 72
    Options
    Smaller goals may make you more successful and allow you to see progress. Once you reach your small goal just continue to increase.
  • ericaquin
    ericaquin Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    First off, congrats on spelling your name RIGHT!!! And I know what you mean; up until about 2 weeks ago I was hungry ALL the time. I think of food all day long, it rules my life. However, try to get it out of your mind that you are on a diet. I eat the same foods as I always do I just now measure out the proper portions. My husband and I love Pei Wei and I order the kids portion. In the beginning eating proper portion size still left me starving so I then would pig out on a ton of lettuce with 2 tbs of my fav. dressing. I no longer need that extra salad but I still munch on carrots and celery dipped in 2 tbs of my fav dressing as an afternoon snack when I become ravenous. You can do it, baby steps. And if you love tv like me, march in place while you watch it. That is how I got started then I advanced to the elliptical once the modivation to workout finally set in.
  • gym_rat
    Options
    Water does nothing for me either. But what does work is distracting myself. I have set times when I eat during the day so if I'm feeling hungry an hour or so before I am going to eat, then I'll take my dog for a walk or pick up a book, clean the bathroom, etc. Anything to get my mind off the nagging feeling of feeling hungry.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Instead of scheduling your meals 3x a day, 6 hours apart, try scheduling 6 smaller meals, 2-3 hours apart. Break up your food servings and have them at different times during the day. Ie: That way you only go a couple of hours between eating.

For example, you could have cereal, nuts, and an egg for breakfast. So eat the cereal at home, take a hardboiled egg and nuts with you to work and eat them two hours later. Lunch is planned to be a sandwich and a piece of fruit. So have the sandwich and then, two hours later, eat the fruit. Etc. It really helps a lot to keep your stomach busy digesting food.

Another thing, I've read that one of the hormones that has to do with hunger is satiated by stretching the stomach (which is one reason why people recommend drinking a glass of water when you feel hungry). So try making your snacks filling ones, like a bowl of raw veggies and some dip, or a salad with extra lettuce. Protein helps you feel less hungry also, so add a bit of protein to your snacks (instead of just carbs). The more processed the food is, the quicker you'll begin to feel hungry after you eat it, as well. If you eat whole wheat toast, you'll feel full longer than with white bread, for example. It takes more work for your body to break it down.

Good luck!
  • pattitricia85
    Options
    I feel ya, I find eating bigger meals helps me, yeah I have a couple snack each day but I want a MEAL!!!! Water doesn't make me miraculously full either. But one little thing that does help me sometimes is a packet of sugar free hot cocoa after dinner. It makes my stomach full and really helps. Good luck, we all feel you pain.
  • MirandaJayne
    MirandaJayne Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Are you hungry or are you obessing about foods you are craving? I find that I often will go on a meal or a day or two days worth of a binge where I am not eating the way I need to be eating to reach my goals. It is because I just want something so bad (slice of pizza, giant bowl of pasta). Its not that I'mhungry you're right its just that youa re always thinking about food come meal times. I find I can get like that too. What I find helpful is that sometimes it only takes on 'bad' meal to get me back on track. Friday for example I had a Jr. Chicken burger from McD's and I felt absolutely terrible, gassy, bloated, greasy feeling inside. And I was doing ok Friday, its just that I wanted it, not that I was hungry or anything cuz I wasn't I just wanted it.
    Do you feel that this could be the situation with you?
    Could you be self-sabbotaging?
    Are you feeling like you are restricting yourself from foods to lose the weight you want to lose?
    If you are restricting, I would recomend you take a new view to losting the weight and look at fueling your body with better choices for 90-95% of the time and then allow yourself that 5-10% cheat/treat.

I don't know how else to help. Sorry, and Good Luck!
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I went through your food diary some and it looks like you eat out a lot. Most of those foods are high in sodium. Especially things like subway. Try tracking your sodium and cutting that down. A trick I learned was after I finished my measured portion, I take a piece of gum and chew it. It lets me body catch up to the feeling full since I tend to be a fast eater. Also try eating more salads as a large portion of lunch or dinners and less meat. It might help.

Good Luck.
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    Thank You everyone. I just keep telling myself that yah this is going to be hard work and if it wasnt...then everyone would be skinny and perfect lol. And once i get to my goal weight...I know i'll be able to cut some slack on what im eating and ill just have to maintain. Im not saying im going to go out and get taco bell everyday but i wont have to stress so so much. And I was thinking about maybe a couple times a week if i am craving something bad..to just get it but only eat half instead of the whole thing. It is deff a mental challenge
  • dragonflyjill
    dragonflyjill Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    So, this is probably not what you want to hear...

I looked at your profile picture and you look great. You weigh 133 pounds to start off with, which I am guessing 99% of the people on this site would LOVE to weigh. You want to lose 10 pounds. Perhaps you are already at your body's perfect recommended weight and that is why you are finding it so hard to lose. We live in a dieting culture that teaches us to hate our bodies. What is your BMI? Do you have health risks associated with your weight?

Maybe it would work better for you to focus on eating healthy and finding an exercise that you really enjoy. And practice loving yourself and improving your self esteem in a way that is not dependent on the scale.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    If you are truly hungry - your body may need more fat and protein. Fat and protein make the body satiated and satisfied. Eating lots of veggies along with fat and protein will keep your belly full and your brain happy............along with still drinking a lot of water.
  • mariena
    mariena Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I think it might be a combination of things:
    1. Too much sodium in your diet- you are mistaking thirst for hunger (even if you drink a ton of water, having a high sodium diet you are going to need to drink 2x as much)
    2. Obsessing over food. Obsessing over what you want to eat and thinking too much about avoiding it. You have to stop thinking about food so much.

I have problems with both of the above. For the sodium I drink one ounce of water per pound of body weight 4x a week, and when I'm dying for bad food, I eat it, I just make a sacrifice somewhere else. Sometimes to make up for ONE bad meal you are going to have to "make it up" by reducing intake over several days to break even.

The best advice I can give is, take notice of the times you are unnecessarily hungry, when you know your body shouldn't be hungry because you've recently eaten but you "feel" hungry, and start scheduling a work out or walk in those times. I work out every day before lunch and when I get home after work I walk at least one mile before going in and making dinner. A mile walk at 3.5 pace will only take 17-18 minutes so it really doesn't effect your family's schedule, but that little jump in your metabolism kills your hunger so you can think clearly and get your food obsession out of your mind and you can eat a good meal.
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options

I looked at your profile picture and you look great. You weigh 133 pounds to start off with, which I am guessing 99% of the people on this site would LOVE to weigh. You want to lose 10 pounds. Perhaps you are already at your body's perfect recommended weight and that is why you are finding it so hard to lose. We live in a dieting culture that teaches us to hate our bodies. What is your BMI? Do you have health risks associated with your weight?

Maybe it would work better for you to focus on eating healthy and finding an exercise that you really enjoy. And practice loving yourself and improving your self esteem in a way that is not dependent on the scale.

I checked it out and I am a little over than what Im supposed to be.
  • becabunny
    Options

I checked it out and I am a little over than what Im supposed to be.

You may be above by a small amount but the closer you are to a healthy weight the harder it is to lose. You describe being hungry all the time, but do not mention your diet. Are you eating naturally filling foods? I worked with a girl recently who was always hungry and her diet consisted of diet breakfast bars (processed) diet lunch products (processed) and diet drinks. Your body cannot operate on that kind of fuel. The easiest way to eat healthy is to eat simple. Try some grilled chicken with a homemade pesto and whole wheat pasta! Filling, rich, but still healthy calorie wise and good for your body. Start off one day at a time. One or two workouts a week. And ENJOY them. That is the key. Remember you want to better your body and your health and use that is a jumping point instead of taunting yourself with a number you want to lose. Someone mentioned you focusing on negatives and that is a big deal: self fufilling prophecy! If you focus on your feelings of defeat and hungry and disappointment, you won't get anywhere. I've been in that pickle!
  • MirandaJayne
    MirandaJayne Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I just thought I would add this in. You mentioend you are a little on the high end for your weight, well 10 lbs can be easy or it can be very hard to lose that last 10. Maybe as you are already pettie, you might want to focus on losing inches instead of the lbs you see on the scale?

Just a thought.
  • lilshorde56
    Options
    When i started my fitness pal i was strictly on a diet no exercise....i lost 5 puonds in 2 weeks but my body looked like ****....so i started going to the gym and working out...i go 5 times a week i get changed at work and dont even make that stop home bec then i wont go...now i am not on a diet anymore i work out and eat healthy and dont deprive myself of anything....if i want chocolate i have a peice if i want pasta i have some and if i want chips i will eat them...now im back at my starting wieght i was very frustrated bec i am working out like a dog and gained all my wieght back...and then i tried on my jeans now i havent really worn my jeans for a while bec i was afraid to put them on....they are really loose! seriosly working out is the key to eating healthy, feeling good, and loosing wieght...i feel lazy too but i just go just do it you will feel so much better about yourself...i have never joined a gym in my life until now and i have never felt better about myself..i used to cry when i went into a dressing room at a store and i went shopping today and i acually was jumping up and down the jeans looked so good!