Pregnancy Diet

Options
Has anyone else used MFP as a guide for nutrition during pregnancy? What are some tips for using this sight as a guide? I'm about 14 weeks now and I'm wanting to make sure I have a healthy diet especially during this time. Also to make sure I gain the appropriate amount of weight.

Replies

• michellelhartwig
    michellelhartwig Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I have not used MFP as a guide during pregnancy....I would talk with your doctor. :flowerforyou:

BTW...Congrats!!! :happy: :happy:
  • mummy_gerdes
    mummy_gerdes Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    i'm 10 weeks behind you - Congratulations BTW!! :flowerforyou: I was also wondering the same thing. seeing my doctor this afternoon so hopefully she will give me some answers.
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I am currently. All I'm trying to do, though, it make sure my weekly average is close to what I need to take in. Some days are easier than others. Some days, I just don't want to eat. I watch my main macros and try to get those as close as I can as well. I use it to get a snapshot of what I'm eating. I'm in "maintenance" mode, honestly. Not trying to lose, nor gain. Because we will gain regardless. I'm 25 weeks now. Once I hit the 3rd Trimester, I will up my calories again. This is when she will do her most growing, anyways. So far, I'm on track for what I should've gained.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I think once your doctor gives you your nutritional guidelines you can change your settings and manually input the ones from the doctor...you will probably have to change them at every trimester and post-partum, particularly if you are nursing...it might be possible to print the settings page so you can take it to your doctor and make sure all the elements you are concerned about get covered in your discussion.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!
  • Jesiena
    Jesiena Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

Belinda- That was a lot of help. Thank you!
  • lovelyrose11
    lovelyrose11 Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I have been using MFP the whole time during my pregnancy. I am currently 27 weeks pregnant and have gained 12 lbs (not too shabby). LOL I have my settings set to maintain my weight..I know some other women that have it set to gain and have been succesful as well. I have trouble eating all my calories everyday but try my best too. In the begining I exercised by had to stop due to some complications.
  • Jesiena
    Jesiena Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I recently got married and gained a few pounds during that process because of stress. I definitely don't want to gain a lot of weight. My midwife wants me to gain between 25-30 lbs during the whole pregnancy. And she gave me a guide of the foods to eat. So I feel like I have a good idea of what to eat and trying not to gain much until the third trimester since I've heard that's when you gave the majority of your weight.
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

Belinda- That was a lot of help. Thank you!

I manually changed my settings after talking with my Doctor. I actually lost weight my First Trimester, so I have no clue how much I've really gained. I know I've gained about 10 pounds since I found out I was pregnant. Believe it or not, I had no clue until I was about 16 weeks or so along.
  • jenneal89
    Options
    Talk to your dr obviously but mine told me to set my calories at maintence and stick to that. You don't need to eat extra food except maybe 200-300 more calories in the third trimester :)
  • busymomto5PA
    Options
    I am 14 weeks today as well. I have been using it the whole time because I used it before. I used this site to help me figure out what to set my calories to. http://www.freedieting.com/tools/pregnancy_calorie_calculator.htm I had it set to maintain for my whole first trimester and just bumped it up according to the calculator on that site. My doctor okay-ed it. As long I was eating nutritiously. Hope that helps! 80) I gained a total of 6 lbs my first trimester and my doc said that was just right.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    *Raises hand!*

I am on maintenance for first trimester, +1/2 lb for second, and +1 for third. It's working really well for my ability to track my calcium and iron levels also.
  • zeebruhgirl
    zeebruhgirl Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    So jelly. Congrats!

Love most of these answers as well.

Can't wait to get preggo!
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Check out the group "Fit, Fabulous, and Pregnant" here on MFP - we are all working our way through pregnancy as healthily as possible :)
  • Annieloujackson
    Annieloujackson Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Been using it since the 2nd tri. I've gained 30 lbs so far (35 weeks). I set it to not gain or lose after I had already gained 19lbs, and I've still gained just fine. It has helped me not go crazy on days when there was cake, but has also helped me know I needed to eat more on days when I just didn't feel like eating (baby's so big now, there's not much room to put food in so I'm doing small snacks throughout the day). And to record and look at my food has kept me eating lots of healthy stuff-- fruits, salads, etc.

This is my 4th baby, by the way, so I kinda know the drill by now. :-)

Very excited to use while I'm nursing, too. I'll probably keep it the same-- not to gain or lose, at least till baby gets on solids, which may be 6-9 months. We'll see.

So glad to know there are other preggy mamas on here!!
  • pumpkinkitty2222
    Options
    This is exactly what I'm using this site for. I gained 70 pounds with my first pregnancy (eek!) because I went into it with the "I'm pregnant and can eat whatever I want!" mentality. It took me 21 months, but I eventually lost all of the weight. With this one I'm planning what I'm eating, not inhaling half a pint of Ben and Jerry's on most nights :laugh: Since then I haven't been eating as much (but that's because I learned to eat better instead of empty calories), so right now I'm having to make sure I get enough calories.
  • clowdusc
    Options
    I am by no means an expert, but I've read an article that says that your intake should only increase by a couple/few hundred calories. So basically, just an extra meal. But I've never been pregnant, so I don't know. I think this is a sensitive topic and should be talked about with your doctor, to be honest.
    Congrats! :)
  • 1sisrat
    1sisrat Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I just gave birth and used the MFP to maintain weight during the fist 2 trimesters and then used it to gain 1 lbs a week during the last. Unfortunatly I developed pre-eclampsia during the final trimester and gained a ton of weight due to the severe edema and water weight that was related. Had to be induced, which led to an emergency c-section. BUT, I digress. Maintain for the begining and then gain at the end.
  • deejaycee114
    deejaycee114 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    just the help i was looking for!! i just found out a couple of days ago that i'm prego and since i've already been using mfp since february for weight loss, i still plan to use it to help me gain the appropriate amount of weight. i'm 8 weeks along with my 2nd. according to my weight and BMI, i am only supposed to gain 10-15 pounds. the same as with my first, though with him, i gained 35 pounds. :(
  • KristenStone
    KristenStone Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Bump for later!

4 weeks for me!
  • Noz7
    Noz7 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys :)

I'm 19 weeks pregnant and my BMI is ~32 (169cm, 94kg). I've been told by the Birth Centre that I desperately want to use that I won't be accepted unless I'm under BMI 35 as at week 37. This means that I can't put on more than around 5kg.
    Would you say that this is easy or hard?
    btw I know that my basal metabolic rate is good (I have 119% of the ideal active tissue mass) and I haven't had any morning sickness. I've put on around 6kg so far and am feeling really quite healthy :)