Wisconsin News Anchor Addresses Email about her weight

Options
OkieinMinny
OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
So a Wisconsin news anchor received an email to her personal email in regards to her weight from a viewer - she took the email and read it on air and her husband (the evening news anchor) posted the email on his FB page for viewers to see and commentate on - this morning on the radio they were discussing whether the email sent by the viewer should be considered bullying or not - what do you think?

I think it is - he attacked her personally and I like the way they handled it by calling him out BUT in some respects I think they bullied back a bit (4 minutes of airtime seems a bit excessive)

your thoughts??

http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-anchor-addresses-critic-weight,0,7432511.story

Replies

• Litlbeast
    Litlbeast Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I can't watch the video at work, but reading her words, it comes across to me as if her using the topic of bullying was the vehicle that enabled her to tell this guy to f off, professionally on the air. Which is understandable. I think this country is effing INSANE about weight - in one direction or the other. You have one camp looking for unreal ways to lose, and thus remaining obese (what foods will burn fat? etc) and the other camp thinking starving is fine and we should all be a size - 2.

Bullying is a timely topic, and weight issues is too. I understand why she responded to the guy this way, I just can see through the transparency of her method a bit.

edit - in case that was unclear, I don't think the guy was actually 'bullying' her. But it was probably the only way she could have discussed this on air without looking unprofessional.
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    I say the viewer opened the door when he sent the email, and that he deserves the public embarrassment.
  • oneIT
    oneIT Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Bullying.... they are adults. When I am forced to pay healthcare and at the rates they are at, I will get on to unhealthy people weather that is being overweight or something else. People need to learn to take care of themselves.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I don't think the email was 'rude' or 'bullying'. It was out of place, sure, but it's the same sort of thing I'd have expected to hear from my doctor two years ago, minus the role model part. It's not like he spent three lines calling her a whale.
  • TexasTroy
    TexasTroy Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Bullying.... they are adults. When I am forced to pay healthcare and at the rates they are at, I will get on to unhealthy people weather that is being overweight or something else. People need to learn to take care of themselves.

BTW...overweight ppl can be healthy! This news anchor could be doing workouts every day, eating healthy and still be overweight.
  • Pedalpush
    Pedalpush Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this! I have conflicting emotions about it. 1) is it better to force onesself to look a certain way for public consumption or to look professional and be confident in one's own skin? 2) what gives the email author the right to criticise another's appearance? I'd like to see what that person looks like and if he/she is fit to point fingers.

This reminds me of the "I hate fat people" thread regarding the family at the buffet...

As long as she looks professional, isn't distracting from the news and delivers her message concisely and clearly, who cares how much she weighs? Geesh, look at Oprah.
  • TexasTroy
    Options
    and yes, it was rude, crude and uncalled for. Im pretty sure most of the ppl on MFP would not ...NOT... wanna be called overweight or fat...am I correct? I think so! Like momma always said, if ya dont have anything nice to say, keep your trap shut!!
  • GTOgirl1969
    Options
    and yes, it was rude, crude and uncalled for. Im pretty sure most of the ppl on MFP would not ...NOT... wanna be called overweight or fat...am I correct? I think so! Like momma always said, if ya dont have anything nice to say, keep your trap shut!!

Unless this guy has the body of an Adonis and is perfect in every other aspect of his life, he has ZERO right to say anything.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Unless this guy has the body of an Adonis and is perfect in every other aspect of his life, he has ZERO right to say anything.

I think it was from a doctor.
  • OkieinMinny
    Options

Thats what I think and what bugs me so bad that he thought it was OK to send/say anything to her - is he in perfect condition? Is he a DR? (no) then why is it OK for him to call her out because she's a public figure - NO its not OK - its condescending and smug
  • TexasTroy
    Options

im gonna assume the " this guy " in your statement didnt refer to me. If so, what exactly did you find wrong with my statement?
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    As long as she looks professional, isn't distracting from the news and delivers her message concisely and clearly, who cares how much she weighs?
    This retaliation segment was highly unprofessional, had nothing to do with the local news, and was filled with personal bias. Apparently she cares how much she weighs, because anyone who didn't would have just shrugged it off.
  • OkieinMinny
    Options
    I think it was from a doctor.

In the story it said he wouldn't reveal his profession so I dont think he is a DR -
  • OkieinMinny
    Options
    This retaliation segment was highly unprofessional, had nothing to do with the local news, and was filled with personal bias. Apparently she cares how much she weighs, because anyone who didn't would have just shrugged it off.

see this is where I am torn - she spent so much time on the segment back at this email - she did talk about not letting other people rule your self-worth and was addressing young people, I just think the news story could have been packaged in a completely different way ....
  • Nettabee
    Nettabee Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Like she said, she's aware of her issues. She could be actively working on, he doesn't know her sitatution. But while I think it was rude, of him to send that to her, I think a 4-minute segment on "bullying" her was unreal. As someelse said, we are adults. If it didn't bother her, she (and her husband) wouldn't have gone through such lengths to pubilcize the topic.

If he/she is teaching their kids to act in the same manner, then it is a shame. But the fact is that people have been critical of the overweight/obese for a long time. Especially adults. There are better ways to handle that instead of a "he emailed me a mean letter so now lets get back at him". Kids rarely watch the news. How about going to your local community schools teaching kids about bullying and its affects and doing a segment about that.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    i am in the camp where i don't think either was in the right. The email shouldn't have been sent, and she shouldn't have taken that much time to address it in the manner that she did (especially when she added in how much she didn't care, when it was obvious that she did).

must have been a slow news day.
  • GTOgirl1969
    Options

im gonna assume the " this guy " in your statement didnt refer to me. If so, what exactly did you find wrong with my statement?
    [/quote]'

I was referring to the viewer that sent the email.
  • OkieinMinny
    Options
    must have been a slow news day.

La Crosse, WI....enough said