Reducing Sugar in your diet

Options
I would like to cut sugar down to a minimum in my diet. I think it somewhat unrealistic to take it out completely, though I know some have. I am not a fan of artificial sweeteners at all, so for me that is not an option. My question is for those who have reduced or eliminated sugar out of their diets. A) Was sugar an issue for you to begin with? B) How did you do it? C) How long did it take for you to feel good again after reducing/eliminating sugar from your diet?

Thanks!

Replies

• goddess2go
    goddess2go Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi there. Sugar was a big issue for me. I reduced it. I turned to it for energy and sometimes to make life sweeter. When I first cut it out I turned to coffee for first time in life. Not too bad. Kept it to a small cup of black. However that didnt feel good and actually made me more tired. Then turned to diet coke which was worse. Learned to recognize and plan ahead. During stressful times (work or period) and/or when I'm out socializing a lot I know I'll be tired. Started juicing greens drinks which help a great deal. If I have coconut water dilute glass with 1/2 glass of water. Also learned to slow down a bit in life. Took me 3-6 months to get the habits right and deal with any emotional triggers involved. Feel a lot clearer. Best wishes for success!
  • Isaanne
    Isaanne Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have not eliminated it but reduced it a lot - no refined sugar in my regular diet. That said I eat whole fruit (not juice) and don't limit it as long as it fits in my calories. I also have never taken sugar in my coffee or drank sugar sodas so that is no problem. I happen to like stevia so I drink mint and fruit herbal teas and put some stevia in. Not a lot of folks like how it tastes but I like it and it is natural.

The easiest thing would be to avoid packaged foods which have sugar when you don't expect. Make your own salad dressings, sweeten oatmeal with fruit (applesauce) - stuff like that. For a while anyway.

If you want to reduce sugar it is probably best to avoid sweeteners anyway to get used to how things taste without it.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    It depends what you are classifying as "sugars". There are different kinds of sugars- processed and natural. I am over my sugar everyday because I include 2-3 servings of fruit each day, each containing at least 10g of sugar each. My "goal" is 24g/day, but I use that number to track the added sugars that are in my diet, not the natural ones. I know there are people out there who say that natural and added sugars affect your body the same, but I'm not concerned with the naturals- I've lost 27 lbs eating fruit and cutting added sugars.

If you're referring to cutting the added sugars, avoid juices, sodas, dried fruits, processed snacks (even the "diet" snacks that are low calorie contain added sugars to make up for flavor), many yogurts contain a lot of added sugar (your best bet with yogurt is to get plain and add your own fruit/mix-ins), white breads and pastas. You didn't really mention where your problem is with the sugars, so these "foods to avoid" can be a starting point.
  • rescueisnotamyth
    rescueisnotamyth Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Over the summer I cut all sweets (dessert, sweetened breakfast stuff) from my diet. Yes, it is really really hard. But I realized that I don't really like most "dessert" food. So I've become more of a "purist". If I am going to have something like that, it's going to be the good stuff.
    But what I would say it to start out by cutting obvious forms of sugar. (So sweets, etc.)
    You are always going to have sugar in your diet. Unless you make all your own food and use sugar free versions of everything (which may actually have some sugar and/or artificial sweeteners) sugar is going to sneak in.

Personally, sugar was an issue for me. I could pack it away. (Now I eat it and realize I don't even like it that much... yet I still eat it because others are like "oh my gooooddddddd, this is soooo good!")
    I immediately felt better after cutting my dependence on sugar. If you are extremely dependent (I once saw a Supersize vs. Superskinny where a guy would eat candy instead of meals. He had a rough time dropping it.) it may take a couple weeks or a month to start feeling "better".
    I'm going off sugar again this month. I just feel so much better when I don't eat it. I'm cutting out obvious forms. Cookies, cake, sweet/refined breakfast cereals (which I don't eat anyway), candy bars, etc. However, I am a college student on the school's meal plan so I can't cut it all out of my diet.
    Good luck!
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Sugar was a HUGE issue for me. I used to love sweet stuff..cake, cookies, candy bars, you name it. I gave up sugar at the same time as I switched to a plant based, whole foods diet, on March 11th of this year. I can honestly say that after the first couple of weeks, I did not miss it at all. I don't have cravings for it, and if other people are eating junk around me, it does not bother me. I have teenagers that frequently bring cookies or other stuff into the house, and it does not bother me. On the few occasions that I have had some of the junk, it did not taste nearly as good as I remembered, and I was able to walk away.

This is not at all a small accomplishment for me. I have struggled with weight and food addiction my whole life. I don't know why it has been so different this time. As far as feeling better, I felt like a new person less than two weeks into the change. But I completely changed my diet and quit drinking caffeine also, so I don't know how much any part of that change contributed to how I feel.