First weigh in since beginning...

Options
I'm not one to weigh myself regularly as in the past I have used the scales as an excuse to give up if I hadn't lost any weight.

This time round I decided to get weighed at my doctors at the start of my 'healthy eating lifestyle change' and again every 6 weeks to give myself chance to see a difference.

Well today was my first 6 weekly weigh in and I've lost 27 pounds.

Of course I'm absolutely delighted. My only concern is that I've lost too much too quickly and may revise my goals a little.

I'm looking at this as a lifelong change in my eating and don't want to pile it all back on again because I set the wrong targets.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Replies

• thingeringer
    thingeringer Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the loss. What a great start.
  • Sozzy23
    Sozzy23 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, that is wonderful! Keep up the ambition.
  • arkwright617
    Options
    Thanks Guys....

72 more to go...
  • mcpjan
    mcpjan Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, great start...what did you doctor say about the amount of weight you lost? If he was not concerned then I would not worry about it. Most people lost the most in the beginning.
  • springb513
    springb513 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I think that's awesome!! I"m sure the next 6 weeks won't be as easy, so I wouldn't worry about your losing to fast!

And way to have will power over the scale!! I tell myself not to stress about it, but I end up peaking everyday! :ohwell:
  • TheCats_Meow
    TheCats_Meow Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss!! That's a huge accomplishment. Whether or not it is a "fast pace" is for you & your dr. to decide.

The "recommended" amount is (I believe) 0.5 - 2 lb/week, but again, that's "recommended" based on a median.

This rate may be pefectly acceptable dependent upon your current standings & your goal.

I'm tentatively back on the wagon for the umpteeth time and aside from weighing in this AM to find out what my "starting" weight is, I'm done with the scale.

I based my past success/failure off what the scale told me every week. I was one of those compulsive ppl that checked my weight at least every other day, somtimes every day and that was just too much. I got burnt-out VERY quickly!

Good luck to you!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Dawnymaries
    Options
    Congrats on the loss! When you have a lot of weight to lose, it will come off quickly at first. But it doesn't stay that way. I will lose 5 lbs per week for a few weeks when I start out, but then it slows to 1 or 2, even 0. Be thankful you're as far as you are! As long as you're getting ENOUGH calories and nutrients, you'll be fine... it should slow down.
  • caterpillardreams
    caterpillardreams Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Good job, I understand the scale dilemma. I also have that issue and have recently admitted it to myself, so I put that thing away.
    You are doing great.
  • arkwright617
    Options
    The scales issue really has made a big difference to me. Not owning a set of scales and making fixed appointments at my doctors every six weeks for the next year is probably going to be the biggest single factor in my continuing success.

There is no better excuse to fall off the wagon than weighing yourself every week only to find one week you haven't lost any weight despite your best efforts.

Of course my plan will be in shatters if I haven't lost anything after 6 weeks... lol
  • tiffanympm
    Options
    This is my 5th week and today I'm at 25lbs down. I'm not going to complain. I'm following dietary goals safely. If I stall I'll rearrange things. CONGRATS!
  • arkwright617
    Options
    Congratulations, great start...what did you doctor say about the amount of weight you lost? If he was not concerned then I would not worry about it. Most people lost the most in the beginning.

My doctor was more than happy, though I did ask specifically if he thought my calorie intake was too low for the long term weight loss.

He suggested I should stick to what I'm doing and if the next 6 week check in isn't what we might expect, then maybe look at increasing my calories slightly.

He felt that my calorie intake would need a lot of adjusting and experimenting in the future to get the optimum benefit.
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't necessarily worry at this point. It may not be 27 fat pounds of real weight loss. The difference between fully clothed (at the doctor's office) and naked (if you're like me) at home is worth a couple of pounds, scales are rarely well calibrated to other scales, and if you're like me a lot of the early weight loss is just dumping water. I've "lost" 5.8 lbs in 7 days. But I'm waking up an average of 2x a night with a very full bladder - and dumping far more fluid than I consume in a day. That loss rate won't continue - but over a 6 week period if I average in one week of 6 lbs with 5 weeks of 1.5 lbs a week it changes what the rate of loss looks like pretty dramatically. (ETA: I was composing this before your last comment was posted that the 6 week weigh-in was at the doctor's office - I'll leave it because it might be useful for anyone else thinking about speed of weight loss.)

I also lose weight considerably faster in the earlier weeks than the later weeks. It takes more calories per day to sustain my fat weight than it does my skinny weight. So I start with a much larger calorie deficit - and as my weight drops the daily calorie deficit also decreases so the weight loss is slower. For me this is an easier transition to the post-loss phase since I just get to keep eating about the same amount as maintenance that I have been eating all along to lose.

You might try (for a couple of weeks) weighing yourself weekly and seeing what your current rate of loss is. In the early stages of weight loss I often lose 2-3 lbs a week and near the end (eating roughly the same diet) it may take me 2-3 weeks to lose a single pound.
  • namluv
    namluv Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Don't know where you started weight-wise but a bit less than 5 a week should be fin, especially if your DR agrees.
  • arkwright617
    Options
    I've decided to stick to my present regime for the next 6 weeks and decide if I need to make any changes after the next weigh in...
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!