Apple cider vinegar?

Options
I have been having some digestive problems (just since changing my eating habits), and a friend said that apple cider vinegar will help. I am wondering if anyone out there has benefited from this and is it worth a try?

thanks...

Replies

• PinkHurricane88
    PinkHurricane88 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    My mother in law and my grandparents have said the same thing, that it helps with digestion issues and other problems. I have not tried it myself but my MIL gave me a huge bottle of it. My grandfather said it's good to mix honey with it, I'm thinking about giving it a shot. Sorry I couldn't be more help!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    For a while, I've tried a tablespoon or so, diluted in water. I can't recommend drinking it straight. As far as feeling healthier, either it works.. or you want it to work as a reward from drinking vinegar.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I use it on my steaks before I cook them, to make salad dressing, and dip for meat. I love it on my tomatoes with a little sea salt....I hear it's good for you but, hard on your teeth straight.
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I have never tried that but have heard it has MANY health benefits but you have to buy the RAW apple cider vinegar. I tried to start drinking some every day but it is SOOO gross!!! :/
  • Countryboy_
    Options
    I use Braggs unfiltered organic apple cider vinegar (with the mother) for joint pain, and it seems to help. I also have heard that it is good for digestion, and for getting toxins out of your body. I sometimes mix 2 TBS with a little honey...or sometimes just take as a shot and chase with water. Its horrible, but I do feel like it helps.
  • Will210
    Will210 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I drink it every morning. Just a tablespoon with a cup of water and another cup to chanse and rinse my mouth out. it tastes terrible but I always followup with a protien shake so really have no aftertaste.

I cant speak to digestive problems before but my weight loss seems to be going strong and I noticed that my face seems clearer for what its worth.
  • Middangeard
    Middangeard Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Try ginger for digestive issues. A cup of pure ginger tea sure beats drinking vinegar!
  • bella24xo
    bella24xo Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    i drink it every day..just like a shot of it but it burns for the first few times...i suggest either buying the pills they have the at GNC and it has zero taste and then same benefits or putting it on food so it isent as harsh :)
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I never tried it. I had digestive issues too and I think an elimination diet would be more beneficial. Either you have SIBO or you have an overload of yeast. For SIBO you just need to go get an anti-biotic or take foods with anti-biotic properties (garlic, grapefruit, onion, etc) and for yeast overgrowth you just need to limit your alcohol, sugar, and carb intake. Also, you could have any of the following disorders so you should really see a doctor: Lactose Intolerance (common), Crohn's Disease, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Celiac Disease, Ulcers, Pancreatis, or e.coli. I'd say you should see a doctor and get their advice before you try to self cure through homeopathic methods; it could be serious.
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    It is good. But you must get the real apple cider vinegar. Itscalled Braggs. you can pick it up at GNC or some Giant grocery stores or on the web. The other stuff you get at the store is just the regular kind with coloring. google the many uses for ACV... its amazing. I fill up a big ole water bottle and put 2 tablespoons in and sip all day.
  • Wonderwoman2677
    Wonderwoman2677 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    What about tablets? Do you think they work as well?
  • tunezter
    Options
    You could always try using it in a new recipe...I recommend doing an ingredient search for "apple cider vinegar" at some place like allrecipes.com and see what looks interesting. I use it to make 'half sour pickles'. They serve them as appetizers at Ted's Montana Grill and they're DELICIOUS!! My recipe doesn't taste exactly like theirs but they're still pretty tasty...

6 tsp Kosher coarse salt (or sea salt)
    2 English cucumbers (enough to fill a quart container)
    1 med onion, sliced
    2 tsp garlic powder (or use real garlic, I'm lazy and the powder is easier)
    3/4 c apple cider vinegar
    2 c water

In 1 qt container mix salt, vinegar, garlic and water. Slice cukes and onion put them in. Top off container with water if needed, cover and refrigerate for 1 week before using.

I have no idea how much vinegar you would be getting but the 'pickles' are tasty with a turkey sandwich and salad at lunch.
  • DavidYates79
    DavidYates79 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I see improvement with digestive issues when I use it. I also had some issues due to changing diet. I take the Bragg ACV. I also notice improvement with other issues when taken regularly, but digestive issues can be improved with intermittent doses. The very best thing I have found for digestive issues though is Swedish Bitters. I keep some around for just about any digestive issue, and it is completely natural.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    snip...for yeast overgrowth you just need to limit your alcohol...snip
    Why would you limit your alcohol? Alcohol is toxic to yeast. It's why things stop fermenting at a given specific gravity.
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Digestive issues can mean a lot of different things. Sometimes they require medical attention. Raw ACV is good in general but depending upon your particular issue you may want to try other things. Ex1; are you getting enough fiber? Ex2; Should you take some probiotics? On the probiotic vein making your own sauerkraut or buying raw (not pasterized) sauerkraut is much more effective than ACV.

These issues come up when we transition quickly from a traditional western diet full of bad fats, sugars, starches and processed foods to a more healthy diet. Our body will adjust and eventually reward us greatly for the change but for a while it can freak out our GI system.
  • parketus
    Options
    No one has ever explained to me the digestion process the way Dr.Whting did it, now i understand much better.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayFg7Q3eTjA&feature=plcp

This is my first post, sorry if im not allowed to post links from youtube. (there is no advertising only pure very understandable informations about digestion)
  • tinkteri
    Options
    I am pretty sure that my body is having a very hard time adjusting to clean whole food eating plus no wine with dinner anymore, from fatty food with too much refined sugar. I just wanted to see if there was any substance to the cider vinegar theory, before trying something. If this feeling persists past a couple of weeks i will visit my dooctor for sure.

What is ACV? It is mentioned in 2 posts?

Thank you for the you tube link...not sure if it is allowed, but thank you for giving me your first post :-).

Teri
  • parketus
    Options
    Not a problem.
    ACV is shortcut for Apple Cider Vinegar
  • tinkteri
    Options
    Oh...I should have known that...thanks :-). I watched the video on you tube. I think ACV is worth a try.
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    snip...for yeast overgrowth you just need to limit your alcohol...snip
    Why would you limit your alcohol? Alcohol is toxic to yeast. It's why things stop fermenting at a given specific gravity.

Just something I read. Probably has to do with he fact that most alcohol is made with wheat, rye, or barley; grains (sugar/carbs) feed yeast. It also puts unnecessary strain on the pancreas and liver which is supposed to help your digestive tract through various hormones they produce and would result in your digestive system not getting better.