Emotional Cravings

Options
It's finally hit me. I'm 75+ days into my journey and have lost 25 pounds so far. I've been reading other dieters posting about issues with cravings and hunger and been wondering, why aren't I having these issues? I've been obese for ... well, forever. I've always been an emotional eater. But I've been doing so well on my new determination to change my life. Until today.

I'm hosting a meeting in my school library tomorrow of all the county High School librarians. I've got a budget from my principal to provide refreshments. So, I put in my order today for a sandwich ring, and made up my shopping list for tomorrow: ice, caesar salad kit, fresh fruit bowl, sun chips, iced tea, cookies from the bakery. And it just snuck up me: I couldn't take the leftover cookies home and eat all of them in one sitting, like I had always done in the past. And, I was sad.

Heck, no. I was mourning.

Even though, I knew that one cookie was allowed and would satisfy my sweet tooth, it still wouldn't satisfy that emotional craving. I wanted the whole thing! And I had even seen the cookies yet. I just wanted the idea of eating the whole plate of cookies.

Where the heck did that come from? Suddenly, the thought of never again being able to down about 2,000 calories in cookies in one sitting seems like a loss. Deprivation. End of a way of life that, in some respects, I really liked --- I just hated the side effects.

Lord, help me get over this feeling.

Replies

• Pamelaniamh
    Pamelaniamh Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    The new you will give the cookies to someone else to bring home and enjoy, and you will be happy for them.

You have worked too hard to let a few cookies get in your way.

Anyway they don't taste as good as you imagine. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Try thinking of it as a gain instead? Seriously, you have literally gained 2000 calories for that day because you aren't taking home all this extra crap to eat. It's not deprivation, it's preservation. By not eating the cookies, you are gaining years to your life.

I felt the same way with Dr Pepper. I've drank it for years, and hated to give it up as it's my only real vice. I don't smoke or drink, it was my only bad habit and I wanted to keep it. But one day, I sat down at actually added up the calorie content. On my worst day, between the Dr Pepper and the Loca Mocha Monster Java Energy Drinks, I was consuming 1200 calories. I drank no less than a 2 litre of Dr Pepper a day, as well as 2 of the Loca Mochas. It was horrible. I was horrible. I've stopped drinking the Loca Mochas, and honestly don't miss them. The Dr Pepper, I haven't given up completely. But I did switch to Dr Pepper 10. I still feel sad about it, sometimes. But at the same time, I feel alot better as well. If I can end up completely giving up Dr Pepper, that will be a feat!
  • stepheatscake
    stepheatscake Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Think about how amazing you're going to look once you're weight is off, and love yourself! If you love yourself, those cravings will vanish. Go have a nice comforting bubble bath, or go get a pedi/mani. You'll feel so much better after ;) Enjoy a piece of dark chocolate instead or get a skinny latte!
  • ggsmamma
    ggsmamma Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have emotional eating issues too. I've been trying to get to the bottom of the emotional eating --- I want to know the root of it so I can stop. There are about a zillion reasons but here are my top few --

1. I feel stressed & out of control in other areas of life so I focus on food
    Answer -- I'm working on stress management now. The best book I've read is Dave Allen's Gettting things Done: the art of stress-free productivity
    2. I work soooo much that one of the only pleasures left in life is food (to the point that eating an egg over salad for breakfast gave me a near nervous breakdown one day!!)
    Answer -- I found a job with a better work-life balance & I've been there 2 months! Now, I'm trying to integrate other fun/beauty into my day: a quick walk, coffee with a friend, building a snowman with my kid (yes, it flipping snowed here last weekend!!)
    3. It's a comfort thing...I want to feel cozy with warm chai & bread pudding, etc
    Answer -- I am looking for other ways to feel comfort. Examples are a cup of tea, a massage from my husband, a bath, reading under my electric blanket (or answering your post on my iPad under the cozy electric blanket!)

In the last couple of months, I've lost 7#. Now, I'm working on integrating movement into my still super busy (but not as stressful) days.

Best of luck to you!! I hope that you get to the heart of this issue & tackle it head on!!!
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Awareness is a great start. It sucks when you think you are being deprived. My family has an outing every week and always get ice creams. It's just a habit and I struggled with not caving into the temptation but after a while it got easier and now it doesn't bother me at all. My issue was with 'how come everyone but me is getting something, I deserve something!' But it's my choice and I choose to eat when I'm hungry. I had an ice cream a few days ago while on our weekly jaunt and I seriously thought well that wasn't worth it at all. I know I'm not missing out. You won't be either. Grieve then let go of it and choose what's best for your health. It's all part of a learning curve and we are allowed to make mistakes.
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    This is a tough thing to deal with and it can pop up any time I refused to stop drinking for years because I couldnt deal with the sense of NEVER
    never having a social drink again never having that great wine with the wonderful dinner all the nevers never unwinding EVERY day with drink after drink till one day the nevers were killing me my BP was through the roof my weight was sky high I realized the nevers didnt mean a thing my life was more important and I coped 4 years later I have had champagne one news year and some great wine on vacation in Aruba and realized I couldnt care less my healthy life was better so I can now drink if I choose but have no interest
    the thing is this is a life style change and sometimes you can eat the cookies most times you wont normal not heavy people splurge have cookies or drinks or whatever the big difference is what they do after they go back to normal eating Turkey day all kinds of fit people pig out but the following day its back an extra walk or run etc. they dont feel like depriving themselves its a one time event
    You have handled all challenges till now so dont obsess if you eat 2 or 3 cookies so be it then back to the great exercise gym rat you are becoming
  • Fr3dd13
    Fr3dd13 Posts: 20
    Options
    I know how you feel, believe me. I have exactly the same problem, but to stop me, I usually just try to remember that as sad as I feel now before eating them, I will feel a lot worse after I ate them.

Stay strong. We are the masters of our own bodies.
  • iFeelBrandNew
    iFeelBrandNew Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    FINALLY! someone has put together into words that make sense about what goes on with food in my mind. thank you so much. i experience the very same thing (i literally snapped when my boyfriend took away a bag of crazy bread from little ceasers the other night) and dont really know what to do about it. i just love food. laying on the couch watching a movie eating an entire box of pizza, with an entire carton of ice cream, and cookies is one of my favorite past times.

sick, isnt it?
  • rettadiehl
    Options
    I know how you feel. I just want to eat all the time and just for something to do. Try to remember that we can do this one step at a time and this is the first step or second.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    Someone else said AWARENESS of this is a BIG VICTORY.

I am STILL an emotional eater, and I suppose as long as I'm STILL breathing, I will face this obstacle the rest of my life.

HOWEVER, the stronger I've become, the more victories under my belt, the greater I realize I ALWAYS have a choice to
    allow or not allow my EMOTIONS/FEELINGS to override my resolve to a healthier lifestyle.

Not sure if this will help you, but early on in this journey, a friend lovingly told me to
    NOT *REWARD* myself with FOOD-
    either *treating* myself for doing something "good"
    or punishing myself for not making a goal I set

This was a lightbulb going off- A HA MOMENT for me...
    realizing how I DO use food as an emotional crutch.
    I binge when I'm angry @ myself
    and I withhold food when I'm loathing my lack of self-control- punishing myself for not having any self control....
    vicious cycle.

SO, if it helps, remember this phrase:

You're NOT a dog, don't *reward* yourself w/ a treat.

And BEST WISHES to you, you're on the road to a healthier you and you're doing GREAT~
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Oh, the mental struggle! I totally understand. It's a daily thing for me. More often than not, I give in. It's so hard not to.

Hang in there.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    How about dividing up the leftovers and offering them to other people? That way you'll get the feeling of doing something good for others and limit the amount of food you take home, but still get to enjoy a little bit.
  • lorib75
    lorib75 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    You know, for me it's the same... but I think it's much easier to just NOT have a cookie. If I don't eat the first one, I'm ok... Not sure why. If I actually eat one...that's it, I have NO will power. I can rationalize anything then. It's like an addict.... I can't even start or there I will be, licking the plate clean....
    YUP.
    Hi, I'm Lori and I'm a sugar addict.....

(crowd says...HI LORI in unison)
    :flowerforyou:
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Ah the road to self knowledge, rocky lil critter, isn't it? But so worth travelling.

I've always known I had emotional issues with eating but never really figured out what/why/how etc. Anyway this week I ran slap bang into one, in the same way you have. And it was startling.

I've torn a muscle in my back and am in quite a lot of pain. Would you believe that pain makes me want to eat? I was really shocked. It' so counter intuitive but there it was. My back went, I was prone in bed unable to get up and the first thing I did when I managed to get out of bed was to go to the kitchen and make myself some buttery white toast. And this is after a month where I've had no cravings, enjoyed eating well, it hasnt been a battle at all. Then yesterday on my way out of the doctor's surgery in a lot of pain I walked to the chemist (drugstore) to get my painkillers and had to stop myself from crossing over the road and going to Tesco and buying a pie or some chips or anything really. It was almost as if my body was going OWWWWW! and my brain was going There There, have some food to make it better.

A real lightbulb moment for me. Food won't make my pain go away, it won't make me 'better'.

As someone said if the question isn't that you're hungry then food is not the answer. So I think when you start figuring out what your questions are, what's triggering you then you can start to unravel all the crazy nonsense we put ourselves through.

Awareness is amazing - so mourn that plate of cookies then let it go, physically and emotionally.

Good luck :)
  • klthornton78
    klthornton78 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Weight was the hardest thing I ever had to loose. I don't think that I could have made it without this site. Hang in there it got much easier. I lost 35 pounds and it took one year. Giving up the sweets was horrible. I wish you the best of look and remember to keep your count and every extra calorie is an extra 20 minutes on the treadmill.
    (lost 35 now I'm pregnant and fighting cravings)
  • jordanreddick
    jordanreddick Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    The thing I have found that best helps me in those situations is to completely remove the temptation. My roommate brought home chocolate cupcakes the other day and said she wasn't going to eat them. They sat on the counter for 2 days and to avoid letting myself go I put them in the trash. I've always had a thing about throwing away food because I was raised and live in the south where you "clean your plate" and don't waste food. But I have found that rather than putting the "trash food" in my body I put it where it belongs, in the trash. It has become easier and easier as I have gone through my pantry, fridge, and freezer to literally rid myself of the temptation by throwing it away. That way I don't have the ability to lose myself in an emotion and head straight for the bad food that has been sitting in the back of my brain teasing me and waiting for that opportunity to have a bad day and I run to it for comfort. Replace your emotional eating with something else. When you have an emotional episode that triggers an emotional eating response, have an impromtu workout session or find something to do rather than run to put food in your mouth. You can do this and you can overcome it!
  • checkmatekingtwo
    checkmatekingtwo Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Wow! What wonderful responses everyone has made. Thank you, so much, for your comments, good thoughts, and suggestions.

The meeting went very well today. People actually stayed an hour past scheduled end because we were getting so much accomplished. Thank goodness there was enough food and beverage for the extra time. Besides the sandwich rings and chips (which I skipped), I also made a big Caesar salad and bowl of fresh fruit. Of course, there were chocolate chip cookies. I had one. And, naturally, there were about a dozen left over at the end of the meeting..

As people were helping me clean up I asked if anyone would like to take the cookies, since I wasn't going to be eating them. And one lady said that would make her a hero with her nephew.

I turned my back and couldn't watch as the objects of my temptation left the room. But, I let them go. I didn't even cry, though I still had regrets.

And, big accomplishment, I stayed within my calorie goals of the day.

But, still, I wonder where those chocolate chip cookies are now. Thank goodness they are not on my hips :)