ab exercises!

Options
*I did already search on MFP about this, I just didn't find what I needed!*

I have an issue with my lower back (it feels like my spine is cracking--almost like cracking your knuckles) that makes crunches and leg lifts painful. I am adding planks tomorrow to the routine, but I doubt I can hold it for very long...

what are some other ab exercises that are low stress on the lower back?

TIA!

Replies

• clairecandoit11
    clairecandoit11 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Planks are a GREAT idea :)
    They are great not only for your abs but for your legs, back, arms and shoulders!!
    It is really hard at first, I agree... but if you start at 15 seconds... and just move up you can eventually build your endurance! All you have to do is push yourself a little bit at a time :)
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    *I did already search on MFP about this, I just didn't find what I needed!*

I have an issue with my lower back (it feels like my spine is cracking--almost like cracking your knuckles) that makes crunches and leg lifts painful. I am adding planks tomorrow to the routine, but I doubt I can hold it for very long...

what are some other ab exercises that are low stress on the lower back?

TIA!

If you are experiencing pain when your back cracks you should see a doctor
  • jvdx
    jvdx Posts: 57
    Options
    www.randomabs.com

you're welcome
  • TexasTroy
    TexasTroy Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    how are you doing your crunches? you might try placing your feet with your knees bent at a 90 degree angle against the wall- kinda like your sitting down with your lower back on the floor and feet on the wall.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    I found I like medicine ball suitcase crunches. Bring my knees up and my should blades off the mat. I'm up to a 15# ball now. 3 sets of 20. This helped me starting getting my core back in shape. I can't do planks because I can't bend my toes much and my left shoulder doesn't like pressure in that direction.
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    www.randomabs.com

you're welcome

i get bored doing the same abs dvds, this is perfect. thanks
  • Itsallbs15
    Itsallbs15 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I have a lower back injury also and it took a long time to find what would work. I do crunches mostly, but leg lifts and flutter kicks work well also. There are several forms of crunches you can do. You can keep your feet on the floor at a 90 degree angle or straight out or up in the air. You can also sit on a ball which supports your back.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Planks and side planks are great. But I would suggest doing exercises that strengthen the lower back so you can solve the underlying issue.

Deadlifts
    Good Mornings
    Back Extensions
    Prone Cobra
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Planks, side planks, anti rotation static holds. Work on the plank with time you will be able to hold it for longer.
  • been285
    been285 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Please,,, do not ignore your back pain/problems in the quest for improving the looks of your tummy. You are cruising for a SETBACK .
    If you approach this from a " I need to build a better back so I can exercise more " angle you will get to the point that you can torture your abs like you were a teenager again.
    Stomach and back are co-dependents. Its frustrating ,,, its not what you dream of , but you gotta build a foundation before the house.
    Look for "stabilizing the lower back" , pelvic tilt, and isometrics,,, and Yes you are gonna have to do a TON of stretches before you get close to doing standard exercises.
    You are in charge... evaluate everything under the "will this help or harm my back" light.
    remember to ice,,, before its a bigger problem
    Later ...... bye.
    BEST OPTION:.... Doctor eval,,,, physical therapist exercise and treatment. PT will coach you in the exercises !
  • GaiaGirl1992
    GaiaGirl1992 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    thanks for your answers!! I think a doctor's visit is in the future, just to be sure there's nothing permanent wrong ^^
  • tapbill
    tapbill Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Planks are the best for strengthening your core. Start slow and before you know it, you willl be able to hold it longer. Also try crunches laying on a ball. just lift your shoulders up enough to feel your abs tighten, not all the way up. I have low back issues and so far that seems to be the best for me.