I'm at a PLATEAU!! UGH!

Options
Needing some tricks, advice, encouragement, etc. on how to get out of the no weight loss zone!!! I've lost 23 lbs since May 13th and things "were" moving right along. I've stuck to my diet and have excercised 3 times a week faithfully. Do I need to get gazelle like and kick it into high gear?! Any suggestions welcome?

Replies

• SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    If your profile page is correct then I'm not seeing a plateau? It looks like you are steadily losing and are doing a great job! Keep it up:) I know we all want the scale to move faster but as long as you are seeing that downward trend then in my book that's a win!
  • par57
    par57 Posts: 74
    Options
    Looking at your profile, my plateau hit about the same time that your plateau hit. SO frustrating!! I was advised to switch my workout routine, and do things to "shock" my body's metabolism back up. So instead of pretty much just doing the treadmill and ellipticals, I have added some aerobic type classes and interval training. Plus I switched what I was eating; staying healthy and calorie counting but selecting different things other than my usuals, and really forcing the water. Seems to be helping. At least I am feeling better now. Good luck!!
  • katesand10
    katesand10 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies! Just seems to me that I haven't moved since 9/20. I am not a fan of water and generally have to force it. Could be all the salt making me bloat, therefore not changing my weight. I seem to be all over the place with my weight. Some mornings when I weigh I'm 3 lbs heavier, then weigh the following morning and be 5 lbs lighter?? I'll just keep pluggin along. Thanks again for the advice!
  • awolf2011
    awolf2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Agreed that you should switch things up a bit and do stuff that your body is not used too. I found this out the hard way too when I hit my first plateau. I am at one right now again, but with my boys in so many sports, I haven't been able to do any new workouts. I have to fit in what I can in a short amount of time. Good job on your weightloss so far!!
  • Sarge516
    Sarge516 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Looking at your profile, my plateau hit about the same time that your plateau hit. SO frustrating!! I was advised to switch my workout routine, and do things to "shock" my body's metabolism back up. So instead of pretty much just doing the treadmill and ellipticals, I have added some aerobic type classes and interval training. Plus I switched what I was eating; staying healthy and calorie counting but selecting different things other than my usuals, and really forcing the water. Seems to be helping. At least I am feeling better now. Good luck!!
    Exactly what I was going to advise. ^^
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies! Just seems to me that I haven't moved since 9/20. I am not a fan of water and generally have to force it. Could be all the salt making me bloat, therefore not changing my weight. I seem to be all over the place with my weight. Some mornings when I weigh I'm 3 lbs heavier, then weigh the following morning and be 5 lbs lighter?? I'll just keep pluggin along. Thanks again for the advice!

9/20 to now is only 12 days. I lose at a steady pace of about 3 lbs a month, but they could come off .5 lb to 2 lbs at a time. If by this time in November you're still at the same spot, and your clothes size and measurements have not changed at all, then I would venture to call it a plateau. Remember, the closer to goal you get the slower the scale number changes. To avoid going completely batty, I'd weigh less often, and rely on the measuring tape, progress pictures and fitness milestones for measuring progress a lot more!

Good luck!
  • CincinnatiDEIFan
    CincinnatiDEIFan Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I started losing (from 188) when we sold our house in Ohio and moved to Florida May 25th. I am down to 160 but have been stuck there for what seems like FOREVER (probably really two weeks MAX).

I walk at least 1.6 miles (on the beach not solid ground so it depends on how the tide has affect the sand Im walking on) per day and try to swim at least 30 minutes 3x week.

I need ideas too so thanks for posting this!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • shierrarobin
    Options
    I've hit several plateaus since I started. Every time I did, I would switch workout videos. I started out with Gilad: Total Body Sculpt. Then I switched to Crunch: Boot Camp Training. Now I'm currently using the Jillian Michaels 30-Day Shred (which I highly recommend, by the way). Sometimes shaking it up is all your body needs. :)
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    step
    it
    up
  • katesand10
    Options
    I am doing Jillian Michaels 30 day shred as well. Love her! I still get winded with level one, but my endurance is much better. My husband and I tried level 2 and it just about killed me...lol...guess I need to dig deep and get over myself and push through it. Thanks for the advice!
  • katesand10
    Options
    If your profile page is correct then I'm not seeing a plateau? It looks like you are steadily losing and are doing a great job! Keep it up:) I know we all want the scale to move faster but as long as you are seeing that downward trend then in my book that's a win!

Lost a pound today...your right...no plateau...just impatient. Slow weight loss is always better. I just need to remind myself of that. Some mornings I just want to see the scale change so I don't get discouraged. Thanks for the advice :)
  • Prettylittlelotus
    Prettylittlelotus Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I just broke through my plateau this morning!

I increased my calories, changed my macros, increased my exercise routine and lost three pounds, after months of struggling. I think it just takes experimentation; figure out what "formula" works best for you.

Good Luck!
  • SamanthaC1
    Options
    I was at a plateau for EVER! I finally added fiber to my diet and it is FINALLY coming off. just a though. Good Luck
  • OfficiallySexyVal
    OfficiallySexyVal Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Try adding an extra day of workouts, try 4 days instead of 3! Add some strength training at least twice a week and it should melt right off!
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    You lost 8lbs in one month!! That is far from a plateau!! Okay so August wasn't a good month, but we all go through those! But Sept was a phenomenal month!! That totally made up for August and then some.

If you feel you're in a plateau - change things up. Vary your calories and change up your workout routine. If you're body gets used to a routine the weight loss will be much slower.

Congrats on your success!!
  • SusanLovesToEat
    SusanLovesToEat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Your weightloss history seems almost to mirror my own.

I plateaued at about the same point you did and it ended being just a slower weightloss.

I had to bump up the exercise from three to 5 days for 1 hour (doesn't have to be aerobic) and I'm really watching the salt.

Good luck!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    12 days unchanged =/= plateau.
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Have patience... it is not an overnight process...
  • katesand10
    Options
    You lost 8lbs in one month!! That is far from a plateau!! Okay so August wasn't a good month, but we all go through those! But Sept was a phenomenal month!! That totally made up for August and then some.

If you feel you're in a plateau - change things up. Vary your calories and change up your workout routine. If you're body gets used to a routine the weight loss will be much slower.

Congrats on your success!!

Thanks SeaChele! This whole lifestyle change is hardwork...lol. And yes now looking at the big picture things are moving along as they should. This has been a great post for me. P.S. I want your abs!