Pregnancy 2010 - Week 6

Options
2»

Replies

• shellster80
    Options
    Hello Ladies, I'd like to join you if I can. I'll give you a little background on myself.....................

My boyfriend and I have been TTC for 2 years now, since Feb 2008. I was diagnosed with PCOS and Insulin Resistance 6 months in. This makes it difficult for me to a) conceive and b)lose weight. It also means my blood sugar and insulin levels are all screwy so I was given medication to help with this.
    I finally got caught pregnant after 1 year, which was Feb 2009. The baby died at 15-16 weeks in May 09. :brokenheart:
    The post mortem stated that this was because the cord was wrapped very tightly round his neck, the doc said he must have been especially active for this to have happened at that stage. Now, when we had the 12 week scan he was bouncing around all over the place, she couldn't even get a clear pic as it was blurred. I have since wondered if my screwy blood sugar levels attributed to his activity being so high. :frown:
    Soooooooo we are TTC still but I really want to get my weight down as this will make it easier to conceive, put me at a lower risk of miscarriage or other problems whilst pregnant and also make my blood sugar/insulin much more stable. I am aiming for 1-2 ibs a week and I want to lose 90 ibs in total.................so I'm here for the foreseeable future!!!!!! :ohwell:

Sorry if that seemed a bit long winded ladies, just wanted to introduce myself, I'm hoping to be a long term member.
    So far I have lost 4 ibs in 2 weeks so I'm on track. I have upped my activity levels by approx 95%!!!!! Before I did NO exercise, now I go to a 45 min cardio class Monday, 45 mins swimming Tuesday, 45 mins cardio/tomimg class Weds and 45 mins Aqua Aerobics Thursday. So far I am LOVING it and feel so much better. My clothes are already looser and my skin and nails are better.

Anyway, that's enough babbling, you'll be sick of me before I've even joined you :laugh:

Good luck to all you ladies. FX for us all. :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • 00Angela00
    00Angela00 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Welcome Shellster! Quite the story, glad you're hear with us!!
  • Hopeful4757
    Options
    Welcome shellster80. I'm glad your appointment went well, Angela. I did awful over the weekend too, Jalara.

There was SO much chocolate and junk at work. I went to a friend's for dinner Friday, was out all day Saturday and went to Greek town - yikes! and we were bad yesterday. So, I am off to the gym to work hard. When I logged in what I ate yesterday, and saw thE "IF EVERYDAY WERE LIKE TODAY..." I wanted to cry. So, here's to better choices. I just planned the week's menu with two new recipes.
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    Hopeful - I'm right there with you! I weighed in on Friday and I was so happy! Then VDay weekend hit and....I wasn't so happy this morning on the scale. So here's to clean eating, water and workouts!

I'm also working on my weekly workout schedule. So far, so good! I'll start it tomorrow and see how it goes! It's a2 week rotation with 3 pre-work workouts. Yay!
  • mnegretti
    Options
    Jumping in: I'm 14 weeks pregnant and trying to keep the weight gain healthy (hoping to see my pre-pregnancy body again someday). I'm also using this tool as a way to make sure I'm getting the protein, iron, calcium... that I need.
  • KimberlyKurtz
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the welcome. Sorry I didn't check this post sooner. I hope everyone had a wonderful valentines day!
    Today I think I over did the work outs. Did a 45 min walk away the pounds DVD, Learn and Burn Turbo jam and 30 mins on the elipitical. I was trying to burn off some extra calories from yesterdays dinner!
    I hope everyone has a great week!
    SW:266
    CW:244
    GW: under 200
  • jalara
    Options
    Kim - I love the shorter introductoring Turbo Jams - I do them in the mornings on occassion!
  • IUChelle423
    Options
    Mind if I join? My husband and I want to start TTC around June of this year. My goal is to be as healthy as possible before that happens. I'm not really looking to lose a whole lot, the scale doesn't matter as much as how I feel/look. I've started taking folic acid (in additional to a multi, fish oil and calcium) and plan to start pre-natal vitamins when we actually start trying.

I have a few struggles: rheumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia and hypothyroid. Does anyone have experience with any of these? This will be our first time TTC and admittedly, I'm a little scared.

My goals/progress:
    1. Cut out soda entirely - DONE! :)
    2. Cut out simple carbs and refined sugar (as much as possible) - A daily struggle! I LOVE sweets & chocolate!
    3. Workout (cardio) 4 - 5 times/week - Work in progress
    4. Start strength training 2 - 3 times/week - Started last night! (And I have the sore muscles to prove it! I thought I was in better shape than that!!)
  • 00Angela00
    00Angela00 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all the new comers, IUChelle423 I've never personally had those conditions, but used to work in Rheumatology. Are there risks that are associated with them and pregnancy? just curious.

This morning sickness (more like afternoon/evening sickness) really has me down. I'm in school fulltime and working full time so my evenings are when I do homework and get stuff done ... IT'S SO HARD TO DO HOMEWORK WHEN YOU'RE CHOKING BACK VOMIT! not to mention I'm hungry but don't eat very much in the evening because there's not much I can tolerate by that point. I think after having the stomach flu, my patience with morning sickness has gone WAAAAAAAAYYYYY done. :-(
  • jalara
    Options
    Hey all!

So Lent starts tomorrow and FI and I decided to give something up, even though we aren't religous. We talked about it last ngith and decided to give up chips (which means potato chips and corn chips). So there you have it!

Although tonight I'm bound to eat some, just because. I guess I better save those calories!

Anyone else giving something up?

Also, I was thinking of moving my weigh in day to Friday. Right now I seem to treat the day of weigh in, and then the weekend hits and it's more treats. I figured I'd do it all at once instead. Thoughts?
  • IUChelle423
    Options
    Welcome to all the new comers, IUChelle423 I've never personally had those conditions, but used to work in Rheumatology. Are there risks that are associated with them and pregnancy? just curious.

My doctor has told me that they will have to monitor my thyroid closely because if your thyroid is off during pregnancy it can be a real problem. With the RA, they say that for most it actually goes away or gets better during pregnancy - yah! :happy: But I'm told after the baby is born and your hormones are back to normal, it gets worse than ever before going back to the norm. With fibro, my doctor says that it could get better, stay the same or get worse (1/3 chance of each). Gee, thanks doc, really helpful :laugh:

The big risks come from the medicines to control them so I've been working to eliminate as many as possible. I'm down to thyroid plus a mild pain killer as needed (along with other non-medicine things like stretching, massage, hot tub).

I'm a little disappointed in my OBGYN. When I saw her last and told her we were thinking about trying, all she told me was congrats and have fun. She didn't say anything about folic acid, prenatal vitamins or anything. I specifically asked about diet and she said to eat as healthy as I can. I asked her about my medicines and she basically said we would discuss after I'm pregnant :noway:

Anyone who has tips about what to do to before starting and while TTC, I'd love the input!
  • elysant
    elysant Posts: 139
    Options
    I would like to jump in here too! :o) My husband and I have been talking about TTC later this year. Our son will be 2 next month and I would like to have around 3 yrs between him and his little brother/sister. I gained about 50 lbs when I was pregnant with him and have only lost about 20 of that over the last 2 years. I know that's a good bit but I'm not sure I'm too proud of it. I really didn't do much to lose it. I want to get myself down to a healthy weight before we start trying for number 2 :o) I'm at 231 right now. :o)
  • Hopeful4757
    Options
    Hello! Hope everybody has been doing good.

Jalara-I am not giving something up for Lent - I am going to make myself do something instead. I am making myself go to the gym at least 4 times a week during this Lent season. I am hoping to make this a habit by the end of the 40 days. I also weigh in on Fridays. I weigh sometimes on Wednesday just to know where I'm at, but typically have a treat or calorie-filled dinner over the weekend, so I find it much better to get on the scale after being good all week.

IUChelle423-I am currently reading, "What to Expect Before You're Expecting," and there are a TON of great tips in there. There is so much information, you can almost scan chapters for what you need, or pick it up here and there. Just a suggestion since you asked what you should be doing. I have found it helpful.
  • Mikiec
    Options

I had a question for Mikiec, was it your doc that had recommended you lose weight? How tall are you? According to your chart your goal weight is 120lbs, which seems pretty low. I know that being underweight can cause conception problems so I just wanted to double check that 120 is the ideal weight for your height.

Hi

My doctor didn't recommend that I lose weight but felt that I had to. Only for myself and knowing that I have done everything possible to ensure that my body is able. I'm only 5ft 2" and 120lbs takes me into the middle of my healthy BMI range but I'm really looking to be comfortable in myself. I have a 13 year old daughter and when I was pregnant with her full term I was still only 133lbs!!! So I'm heavier now than I have ever been in my life!! That said, I was very thin (probably too thin) back then as I was only 105lbs when I became pregnant.

I've had a bad week this week too! I've not lost anything this week and haven't checked in my weight! It doesn't help that my other half is a chef and keeps making yummy cheesecakes!

Hows everyone else doing?
  • jalara
    Options
    New week is up! See you there!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/82036-pregnancy-2010-week-7

Mikiec, maybe you could re-post your last post on the new week so it doesn't get left behind??