1200 calories going to make me gain weight?

Options
When i was eating a lot everyone was like 'OMG you're going to gain weight' and now i've restricted my intake to 1200 calories a day and im getting the same response whats everyone problem?! I dont feel as if my bodys going into starvation mode at all! I;m always feeling full and drinking 8 glasses of water a day dosent make me hungry i only eat when i really feel like i need to and still restrict my portion size my sister lost weight with just eating one meal a day? :/ can somebody just tell me what i have to do? fitness pal wouldnt reccomend 1200 calories a day if it want healthy.

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    How long have you been trying at 1200? How near your taregt are you? What height are you? Is it working?
  • pinballmachine
    pinballmachine Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Have you measured your BMR? Eating just one meal a day, IMO isn't the way to lose weight. Eating small meals throughout the day is the way to go for me. You go into starvation mode (even though it may not feel like it) and your body saves all those calories. It takes about a month to get there but you should stay about 20% above your BMR. The slow weight loss, however frustrating for those who want to see results fast, is the best way to go!

melaniecheeks has some good questions too!
  • AnnaMC1977
    Options
    Check with other sites, but if MFP is correct in their calculations. I'm 5'2, small framed, with light - moderate activity. So, 1200 calories is right for me. People here are very quick to judge, and are highly critical towards those of us who have been assigned that intake. It can be very frustrating when someone tells you that you "have anorexic behavior" or "you need to talk to someone". My GUESS is that the person(s) saying this are at least 5'6 and thus need more calories than those of us who are shorter.
  • hafsahkh
    hafsahkh Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Check with other sites, but if MFP is correct in their calculations. I'm 5'2, small framed, with light - moderate activity. So, 1200 calories is right for me. People here are very quick to judge, and are highly critical towards those of us who have been assigned that intake. It can be very frustrating when someone tells you that you "have anorexic behavior" or "you need to talk to someone". My GUESS is that the person(s) saying this are at least 5'6 and thus need more calories than those of us who are shorter.

OMG YES! My friends all think im showing anorexic behaviour when im really not im probably 5'1 or so and always been short and stumpy and im pretty sick of it now and eating 1200 calories makes me feel better not cos its a small amount cos i actually have more energy to do things now
  • hafsahkh
    hafsahkh Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    How long have you been trying at 1200? How near your taregt are you? What height are you? Is it working?

im about 5'2 so a short girl been on the 1200 calorie diet for about 2 weeks and lost about 3lb :/
  • BluthLover
    BluthLover Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I'm a short girl. 5'3. I tried eating 1200 and it sucked. Made me gain. I'm now at 1800 and much happier.
  • kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1 too about 133 right now and my BMR is 1365. But MFP gave me 1200 calories. i don't think it's doing large amounts of damage but I'm of the camp that thinks you really shouldn't make your goal well under your BMR. I set mine at 1300, b/c I figure I make up those 65 in underestimation here and there. I only had 10 pounds to lose and I've lost 5 in the first 45 days. I was eating 1200 before and nothing happened. For us short girls the weightloss can be slower but sometimes going ultra low isn't the best option.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    well you're SUPPOSED TO ADD EXERCISE and eat those calories in addition to the 1200 allotted when you set your goals.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    At that height, and if you're losing, it's probably OK. Just make sure that with such a small target you get plenty of good healthy real food in there!
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    well you're SUPPOSED TO ADD EXERCISE and eat those calories in addition to the 1200 allotted when you set your goals.

YEESSSS!!
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I'm short and eat 1200 calories and it's been fine. Just eat more if you get hungry, aren't getting enough nutrition, or feel like you don't have enough energy. I don't eat back all of my exercise calories but do eat them if I want or need them. I do feel that when eating 1200 calories, we need to put more work and attention into our nutrition.
  • kimberliiw
    kimberliiw Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I think it's the case of finding what's right for you. I'm 5'2" and have lost 6 lbs in 6 weeks doing 1350 cals a day.
  • geonbaeLeilee
    geonbaeLeilee Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1 and on a 1200 calorie diet (MFP recommended). I don't feel deprived at all, and I've been losing weight. :) A lot of times I struggle to reach 1200 although I probably should. The point is this, though: You need to do what is best for YOU only. If 1200 works for you, stick with it. If not, bump it up a bit if necessary. It's your body, not theirs. :)
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I think it's the case of finding what's right for you. I'm 5'2" and have lost 6 lbs in 6 weeks doing 1350 cals a day.

I am also 5'2" and I have found this to be the golden ratio.
  • LelliAmi
    LelliAmi Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    1200 a day is fine. Don't listen to anyone. The most important thing, though, is to balance what your'e eating. Avoid saturated fats and replace them (when possible) with healthy omega fats, like olive oil. Limit carbs and keep the ones you do eat healthy (no white bread, whole grains and ancient grains). Make sure you're eating TONS of fruits and vegetables. They keep you full at very few calories per serving. Keep drinking lots of water and tea, and try to stay away from resorting to milk or juice as your go-to drink because they have unnecessary calories. Do try to take in at least 2 or 3 servings of low fat dairy a day, though. They have protein (which is good for creating lean muscle), and vitamin D and calcium (which are good for your mood and bone health).

I will tell you, however, that at my healthiest I was eating about 2000 calories a day. But I was dancing ,and doing at least an hour at the gym in addition to that, every day. So it's mostly about what type of foods you eat and how you balance your calorie intake with your energy output.
  • missmacsays
    missmacsays Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I agree with your frustration! There's so many different ideas of how many calories and whatnot you should have. It's different for every person. I started with 1200 cals (MFP recommended as well because I have a lot to lose) and it worked fine the first few weeks, but then I was having a harder time and gaining, so I read into it more and bumped it up slowly. I just started doing 1300-1400 and in my first week lost 2.2lbs. I don't think there's a set amount for anyone, but eating BELOW 1200 is unhealthy. In every article I've read it says you cannot get the proper nutrition, which is also important. It shouldn't just be about weight loss, but about getting healthier too. Good luck to you!! Do what works best for you and make sure your body gets what it needs. Beyond that, who cares what everyone else's opinion is!
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    how many lb did you tell MFP you wanted to lose per week?
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options

I'm not so sure. I'm 5'2, small framed, 118lbs and MFP sets me to 1200 yet I eat 1600-2000 a day and lose fine. I know plenty of small women on MFP who eat much more than 1200.
  • Kaiukas
    Kaiukas Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I think a big confusion seems to be in whether a person is able to lose weight temporarily or whether the plan works long-term and is beneficial for one's health. I am sure a lot of people would be able to lose weight on just one meal a day or starving completely, but is this what you want to do for the rest of your life? If yes, you will end up with a serious eating disorder. If no, you will put back the pounds once you start to eat normally.

In order to lose a healthy 1 lb a week, the best and, by far, the easiest way to set your calorie goal is to calculate your TDEE without exercise and subtract 500 kcal AND on top of that keep track of all your exercise calories and eat them back.

Many people include their routine exercise already in their TDEE and there is nothing wrong with that. The reason why I personally like to take TDEE without exercise is that it gives me more flexibility; it doesn't assume that my exercise is constant and I feel more in control of my calories in and out.

In my experience, if you do that you cannot go wrong.