Going through a hard time .....

Options
I'm going through a rough patch right now in my life and I can't seem to eat anything. I know this is bad for me, but the thought of food is making me feel ill. Any suggestions? How bad is it to not eat for a day or two?

Replies

• Alr080389
    Alr080389 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Is it that you have no motivation to eat or you can't keep food down? I am not an expert but if I was in your situation then I would try protein shakes or something.
  • NJSunshine13
    Options
    Is it that you have no motivation to eat or you can't keep food down? I am not an expert but if I was in your situation then I would try protein shakes or something.
    The thought of food makes we want to heave. My stomach is in one big knot. I haven't even finished my coffee from this morning and that was over 4 hours ago.
  • FierceFox81
    Options
    I'm no Doc but I know it's not good to go without eating. Same as if you don't water a plant..what happens to that plant. Maybe try a protein shake with some fruit or something. Just to make sure you get some sort of nutrition. Slowly sip on that. Better then nothing.
  • alschultz33
    alschultz33 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    For a day or two, you would probably be fine but you have to be careful about not eating. I've been in situations (break-ups in particular) that really killed my appetite and I wouldn't have any desire to eat. Not good. Your body needs certain nutrients every day and if it's not getting them, it will start to fight back and retain whatever's already in your body (which is why people who starve themselves gain weight back so quickly). Also, if you're in a bad mood or you're feeling down, certain foods can actually improve your mood and make you feel better. It's kind of random that I happen to be reading this article right before I came across your post http://www.livestrong.com/slideshow/557976-foods-that-can-improve-your-mood/. I don't know if there's any credence to it, but it might help. Hope things start getting better for you! Good luck :)
  • NewAngel35
    NewAngel35 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Oh hun.It will pass. Try to stay positive.Really not eating for a few days is not good. If you eat anything try and make it high calorie just so you get something.Even a milk shake or hot choccy.I always luv a hot choc when I feel down. I hope you feel better soon.x
  • NatashaRuz
    Options
    A day or two not eating won't hurt you physically...but not drinking enough will. Make sure you stay hydrated. Being in an emotional upheaval can really wreak havoc with your body.....I hope things improve for you. If you're still not eating in a day or so though, I'd seek help....
  • NJSunshine13
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I will try to stay hydrated and thanks for the mood food list. I'll see what I can manage to do. I'm thinking people who get the flu don't eat for a few days, so this may not be much different. I know I'll lose alot, but will expect to gain it all back once I start eating again, which is fine with me since I know the loss was not real weight loss but just fluids so it won't knock me off my weight loss goal.