ant hills in our yard

Options
leomom72
leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
we had 3 fairly large anthills pop up in the yard over night, and chemicals dont really seem to work. anyone have ideas on how to kill them ? they are little black ants, each pile has several larger flying ants, and many upon many eggs..does the cream of wheat exploding thing work ?

Replies

• Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    my grandmother always used a teakettle full of boiling water. dunno if it killed em, but i think she said it would
  • skyeliz525
    skyeliz525 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    WE've tried the cream of wheat thing, the grits thing, cornmeal...then we moved to the store bought granules and sprays. All it seems to do is encourage the ants to hide underground for a few days and then move the mound! Last week, I saw gas (maybe diesel) being poured onto mounds in a field near where I work...seems a little extreme to me!

I'd love to know if someone has a planet-safe way to rid the yard of them!
  • punkywoo
    punkywoo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Sounds more like termites than ants. You should call a pest control company.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Ants don't seem to like white vinegar.
  • skinnynerd
    Options
    Sounds like termites if they are flying.
  • keepitcroosh
    keepitcroosh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Better let pest control take care of it.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Hot soapy water or raid ant nest foam
  • skyeliz525
    skyeliz525 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    WE've tried the cream of wheat thing, the grits thing, cornmeal...then we moved to the store bought granules and sprays. All it seems to do is encourage the ants to hide underground for a few days and then move the mound! Last week, I saw gas (maybe diesel) being poured onto mounds in a field near where I work...seems a little extreme to me!

I'd love to know if someone has a planet-safe way to rid the yard of them!

I guess I should mention...ours are red fire ants! And they do not fly...they just bite, bite, bite!!!!
  • GermanicKnight
    Options
    I have used a mixture of cayenne pepper and garlic and dropped it down their holes. They never came back.
  • smtillman2
    smtillman2 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Cover the ant hills in used coffee grounds.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Ants are an important aspect of the ecosystem. If they are inside then yes, get them the hell out, but If they are outside, then why kill them?
  • kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Sprinkling Borax on them helps.
  • cutiepieinchi
    Options
    trust me flying ants exist! Chicago had an attack of them a few years ago. We eventually had to get professional help.
  • Angie_1991
    Angie_1991 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    ew.....call Orkin
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Splenda kills them dead-if they ARE ants.
  • deadlights
    Options
    Windex also kills them. Pour a gallon down there :)
  • been285
    been285 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, I live in Florida,,,, ANT HEAVEN

Hate to say it.... consider paying a PRO.

Bait poisons do work. like dieting thou ,, no instant gratification.

remember its you against 100,000 or so.

bye....... later
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Ants are an important aspect of the ecosystem. If they are inside then yes, get them the hell out, but If they are outside, then why kill them?

I usually don't bother with killing them, but the mound in my yard has grown lately... so I may have to issue the eviction notice.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Sounds more like termites than ants. You should call a pest control company.

This. Call a pest control company ASAP before they get into your house.