Arthritis & Biologic Drugs

Options
diddyk
diddyk Posts: 269 Member
I've had arthritis for a few years (I'm 24) and have exhausted basic pain management/control drugs that there are. I have sero-negative arthritis, it's genetic, and it is predominately in my hands, feet and ankles (it has been progressing to various joints over the last two years.) I have a couple of fingers that are permanently damaged, and I don't want the rest of my joints to continue down that path. My rheumatologist suggested I look into biologic drugs to treat it (Enbrel, Humira etc)

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with these? How severe was your arthritis? Was it helpful?

I'm really adverse to sticking myself with a needle all the time, but at this point I hurt so much I will do just about anything to ease the pain, slow progression and rely less on stomach damaging pain killers (I've had ulcers in the past as well.)

Sorry if this is under the wrong thread. I didn't know where to post it.

Replies

• diddyk
    Options
    Anyone??
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Not sure but have you looked up the arthritis diet? My 9 year old suffers terribly, has done since she was 2 and this was recommended but I felt too severe for a child.

From what I recall it cuts our acidic foods such as tomatoes and citrus fruits and cuts down drastically on dairy.

May be worth a look.
  • MsP90X
    MsP90X Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I have arthritis that renders me immobile when it is not controlled. Currently it is very well controlled with Methotraxate (max dose once a week) and Remicade (every 5 weeks). In addition to the regulars I use pain meds, if I experience a flare-up between treatments, I take regular extra-strength pain killers from over the counter. I also take prednisone from time to time but it has been over a year since the last time that I required it.

Private message me for more information.

You CAN live a full life with the proper control... I am proof. I workout at least 6 days a week for a minimum of 1 hour a day. I lift weights and Bring It everyday but it is all thanks to my rheumatologist and the treatments that I receive.

Good luck!
  • mickelnay
    Options
    I used Humira but had to quit do to really bad sinus infections that wouldn't go away until I took steroids. We moved recently so I need to find a good rheumatologist again and start on something. I have family members who use Enbrel and couldn't survive without it. I think it boils down to quality of life. The side effects can be pretty severe but so is not being able to move. I would find a great doctor and go over things with him/her. I feel there should be something out there to help you though. My brother has severe arthritis and this is really helping him a lot.

Oh, and the shots are really no big deal. I think the anticipation of it all is much worse than actually giving the shot :-). It's basically a pen and you push the button into your stomach.

Good luck!! Hope you find something and start feeling better soon!
  • diddyk
    Options
    I've tried the diet step - I'm a vegetarian and completely cut out all dairy for a while, no change. I've gone gluten/wheat free for a while, no change. I already avoid acidic foods as I've have problems with GERD and stomach ulcers.

I've taken Celebrex, Sulfasalazine, and Prednisone with no improvement, I've had cortisone injections and those did more harm than good. I currently survive off Vimovo (naoproxen/esomeprazole magnesium) but it's destroying my stomach.

I haven't heard of Methotrexate, just researching it now. Hopefully it'll be an option before moving to biologic drugs, however that's for my doc. to decide I guess.

Has anyone had any success by adding supplements such as Glucosamine or Chondroitin?

I still workout as much as possible, just some days it is almost excruciating. I refuse to allow my pain to be an excuse for laziness. I guess I'm lucky in a sense that it's mostly hands and feet, I can't imagine what my life will turn into if it spreads to hips/back/neck.
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    My daughter's on methotrexate too (and top ups of steroid joint injections when needed) and daily Feldene, she was on it for a while before and went into remission so came off it for a year but relapsed so is back on it now, hoping it works as well as last time.

She has it in her feet, ankles, knees, hips, elbows, wrists, eyes and fingers but manages to carry on with gymnastics and dance. She has a high pain threshold but you need to find the right drug combination for you.
  • karaks
    karaks Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how this compares to your situation, but my mom has severe RA. Before she was diagnosed, it got to where she almost couldn't move some days. She was constantly in pain and hardly ever left the house. She found a wonderful rheumatologist who put her on Enbrel. She is like a new person. She no longer has flare ups, can workout whenever she wants with no pain, and has had no side effects (that I know of). Every person is different, so her experience might not be your experience, but for her, Enbrel has literally been a life saver. Good luck!
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

Has anyone had any success by adding supplements such as Glucosamine or Chondroitin?

No greater efficacy than placebo...trying to find the paper...

http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/DSH/glucosamine.html
  • diddyk
    Options

No greater efficacy than placebo...trying to find the paper...

http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/DSH/glucosamine.html

Good to know, thanks.
  • BSully81
    BSully81 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have rheumatoid arthritis and have been on biologics for about 10 years now. WIthout them, I could barely get out of bed. I have taken Humira, Remicade, and am currently on Enbrel. I was also taking methotrexate in combination with the Enbrel but recently stopped since I may try to get pregnant soon. Enbrel has done wonders for my body and also greatly helps with my energy level. I currently work full time and work out 4-5 times per week. Exercise also helps manage my RA.

I am a wimp when it comes to sticking myself with needles, so I have recently switched to the pen and inject into my thigh. Although a little more painful than the regular syringe, it is much easier.

If you have any questions, feel free to send me a message.