Running Shoes, Training Shoes, what do i get?

Options
I'm confused as to which shoes i should be buying! First of all, i have to really be careful because i have foot problems right now, but i just started wearing custom orthotics about a week ago so hopefully it'll help.

Im just so confused as to which shoe is right for me. Im thinking training would be the way to go as i like to do weight training. But the problem is that i want to incorporate more cardio into my workouts on top of my usual weight training. So should i be looking for running shoes or will that affect negatively to lifting weights? Or if i choose training shoes, could it support my feet when i do cardio.
Hopefully someone can help clear this up for me!

Replies

• daveg119
    Options
    I've bought literally 25-30 different types of running/training shoes for different sports and what not. Nike Lunareclipse 2 is by far the best shoe I've ever worn for running and training. Obviously I've just worn the mens pairs but a friend of mine lives by the womans ones

http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/?l=shop,pdp,ctr-inline/cid-1/pid-438164/pgid-438161
  • Bossit
    Bossit Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    for running, there is a big debate between cushion and minimal. I've never done the bare foot style, and if anything my shoes are one of the more padded on the market. Realistically there's no substantial proof for either argument. I like feeling like I walk on air, and I'm on the heavy side, so a softer shoe sounded better in my mind. I love my Asics Gel Nimbus 11s. Just bought my third pair.
  • samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I wear custom orthotics too.

Take them with you to buy shoes. Make sure you try shoes that have removable insoles so you are not ripping out ones that are glued in.

If your orthotics don't fit, don't buy.
  • nickhuffman74
    nickhuffman74 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Get prepared to hear the debate on shoes.

How far are you planing on running? If its just a few miles then cross trainers should work. But since you already have a foot problem you might go to the people that created your custom shoes and ask them what they think.

Nice Ink BTW.
  • tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I would go to a running/training shoe store where they can scan your foot, look at your stride, and talk about your needs. They should be able to recommend what is best for you. I go to Roadrunner Sports in AZ where they have the "Shoe Dog" program. See if there is a place like this near you. http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/content/topic.jsp?contentId=content3937
  • Melolicious
    Melolicious Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have cushioned runners for running but for strength training, I have better balance in minimus shoes because it's a neutral stance and closest to barefoot. It's a lot of experimentation, go to a run/walk store if you have one in your area. In Canada, The Running Room chain has great staff trained to help you get the shoe that works best for you.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I'm confused as to which shoes i should be buying! First of all, i have to really be careful because i have foot problems right now, but i just started wearing custom orthotics about a week ago so hopefully it'll help.

Im just so confused as to which shoe is right for me. Im thinking training would be the way to go as i like to do weight training. But the problem is that i want to incorporate more cardio into my workouts on top of my usual weight training. So should i be looking for running shoes or will that affect negatively to lifting weights? Or if i choose training shoes, could it support my feet when i do cardio.

For lifting it's best to use flat shoes like converse. I have a really cheap pair of little girls shoes that are flat (I'm really tiny and so are my feet). I wear them when lifting and then switch to my running shoes when running.

For running you want to get a shoe best for your foot. Here is a good place to start for figuring that out --> http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-240-319-327-7727-0,00.html

Also if you go to a good running store they can help you find some brand/models that fit correctly for you, and you can walk around the store a bit and see how they feel.

Getting the right fit for running is super important. Many injuries are caused from not having properly fitted shoes.

Best of luck to you! Bobbie
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    This would really be a question for someone who can a.) see your orthotics b.) look at your existing shoes c.) is trained to do a proper gait assessment.

You will get 100 different answers of what shoes are best... but really it boils down to what shoes are best for YOU.

Go get fitted properly by someone who is trained to do a proper gait assessment. They will look at your current shoes, your orthotics, and the way which you run and walk. They will take into account the purpose of the shoe and then provide you some options which will be most comfortable for you.

Good Luck!
  • Timmyttt418
    Timmyttt418 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I think if your cardio is mostlr going to be running, get the running shoes. Likewise mostlr machines, than I would go with the training shoes. It all depends on what is comfortable for you. Or, you can buy one each!
  • CayleyRidgeRunner
    CayleyRidgeRunner Posts: 56 Member
    Options

A lot of this will depend on your foot, how it strikes the ground, whether you over or under pronate...or don't at all. Do you have high or low arches? Or normal? Many types of shoes address these issues. If you have a local store that specifically sells running shoes, etc then go see them and see if they can't fit your shoe to your walking/running style. You'll be glad you did, especially since you wear orthotics.
  • CayleyRidgeRunner
    CayleyRidgeRunner Posts: 56 Member
    Options

For lifting it's best to use flat shoes like converse. I have a really cheap pair of little girls shoes that are flat (I'm really tiny and so are my feet). I wear them when lifting and then switch to my running shoes when running.

For running you want to get a shoe best for your foot. Here is a good place to start for figuring that out --> http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-240-319-327-7727-0,00.html

Also if you go to a good running store they can help you find some brand/models that fit correctly for you, and you can walk around the store a bit and see how they feel.

Getting the right fit for running is super important. Many injuries are caused from not having properly fitted shoes.

Best of luck to you! Bobbie

Perfect response. The Runnersworld article is a great start!
  • ydeleon
    ydeleon Posts: 81
    Options
    I use different sneakers for different activies. (Nike Free for when I teach Turbo Kick, Nike Structure for running) It's all based on preference and comfort. However, I wouldn't skimp on the shoe you purchase because your feet are what support you. This is one thing I do not buy online. Go to a specialty store so that you can get fitted for the proper sneaker for your foot.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I went back and forth with this too and ended up buying two pairs, uggg. I don't run, but I walk a lot. I bought a pair of minimalist shoes for weight training and to my surprise they REALLY helped with my form and stability, they are Saucony (the only ones that fit my feet right, I have wide feet). Then I bought a pair of Brooks Ghost for walking, very comfy and just the right amount of cushion. Everyone is different, I fought getting two pairs, I thought it was frivolous, but in my case it worked out for the best. My only advice is go somewhere and have them fitted by someone who knows what they are doing, especially if you have orthodics and foot problems.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I wear custom orthotics too.

Take them with you to buy shoes. Make sure you try shoes that have removable insoles so you are not ripping out ones that are glued in.

If your orthotics don't fit, don't buy.

This ^^^^

And if you get running shoes to run, make sure you run in them for the person fitting you and doing a gate analysis. Forget just buying stuff by brand name. If you have foot issues, your podiatrist can probably steer you in the right direction.

I have orthotics for my shoes, and another pair for my running shoes. They are different!
  • renegadecupid
    Options
    I switch off between american made new balance running shoes, and the new balance minimus.
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I have heard a lot of weight lifters love minimalist shoes. Better balance and all that. I switched to minimalist shoes for running because of my shin splints. They are almost gone now and my pace has improved a lot! By at least a minute faster per mile. I use New Balance Minimums.

I love them!!
  • keepitcroosh
    keepitcroosh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I have saucony right now but it is SO padded that my feet become numb! I cant even drive with them, cant feel the pedal! haha. They are getting a little worn out anyway. These specific orthotics i have are great for what i need right now. Im on my feet all day at work, and they made them so i can even exercise in them! I just wish that i could have just one pair of shoes because my workout routine is that i start off with weights, then do a bit of cardio. I dont want to be bringing in 2 different pairs of shoes while im trying to stay focused in the gym, you know? Thank you everyone for your input & thank you so much for sharing links! I appreciate it :D