Recipes for savory oatmeal?

Options
Rachelito
Rachelito Posts: 119 Member
Anyone have any good savory oatmeal recipes? Looking for something new in the mornings!

Replies

• Rachelito
    Options
    Thanks!
  • alisonrose01
    Options
    Wow I never would have thought "savory oatmeal" would look so good. Thanks for sharing!
  • Leafy12
    Leafy12 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Saute onions and garlic. Then add and sauté steel cut oats. Finish cooking the oats in low cal veggie broth. I usually add various veggies in the lat 5-8 mins of cooking.. Voila! Healthy risotto knock-off!
  • pocketmole
    pocketmole Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    7795981666_72eefac6a9_z.jpg

Savory Oatmeal

I set 1 cup of low sodium stock + 1/2 cup of skim milk (I actually used buttermilk just because I had some sitting around that I needed to use up - normally I'd use regular milk or almonds milk) to boil, reduced to a simmer and added in 1/4 cup of steel cut oats. At this time I also put in a pat of butter, some salt and pepper to taste, garlic powder, onion powder, and cayenne pepper. Steel cut oats need to cook for about half an hour, but you could use rolled oats if you're low on time. Stir occasionally, add more liquid if you don't want them as thick, then at the end stir in your chopped, cooked breakfast sausage (two vegetarian sausage patties in my case :)), about a half a cup of frozen spinach (the heat from the oatmeal will cook it), about a tablespoon of chopped fresh thyme (or other fresh herbs of choice), and a small amount of grated smoked cheddar. I'm not sure on the amount of cheese I used, but it was a pretty pungent cheese so I think I used about an ounce. Put a lid over the pan to let the steam melt the cheese and cook the spinach. It will just take a few minutes. The fixings you put in your oatmeal can easily be changed to suit your tastes, but in this case the addition of the cheese makes it remarkably similar to risotto. It's great and incredibly filling from the density of the oats and added protein from the sausage and cheese.

This is about 300 calories, 14g of fat, 24 carbs (4g fiber), and 21g of protein for half of what is prepared here.

Removing the butter and swapping to a reduced fat smoked cheese changes the figures to around 240 calories, 6g of fat, 24 carbs (4g fiber), and 20g of protein.
  • jencooks
    jencooks Posts: 62 Member
    Options

This is about 300 calories, 14g of fat, 24 carbs (4g fiber), and 21g of protein for half of what is prepared here.

That seems like a lot- 600 for what's on the plate?
  • pocketmole
    pocketmole Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    No, it's 300 for what's on the plate. I served out half of what I made.
  • jencooks
    jencooks Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    No, it's 300 for what's on the plate. I served out half of what I made.

Oh!! lol... that sounds better. I think I might try this. Thanks for posting.
  • Rachelito
    Options
    Looks great, thanks!
  • citizencrp
    citizencrp Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I've been experimenting a little this week, but I keep my oatmeal easy.
    Oats, a drizzle of good olive oil, .5-1 oz of hard cheese like parmigiano reggiano or asiago. It's perfect.
    Twice I added a little chopped bacon--even better.

Next week I plan to try some different cheeses and maybe a chicken sausage?
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    For mine I beat an egg with a little water and parsley then fry it, chop it up into strips/bits. Then I cook the oatmeal in chicken stock, don't overcook it and make it to thick, thats personal preference though I guess, then add in the egg, cooked chopped bacon and spring onions, stir through and top with parmesan and sriracha. I had this last night, yummy.
  • lOvInLiFeLaTiNa
    Options
    bump
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Savory oatmeal? That certainly sounds different!

But we don't have the steel-cut oats--will the recipes work with other oatmeal?
  • herrashley
    Options
    Try this blog full of savory oatmeal recipes....nutsoveroats.com