ZOMG TOXINS!!

Options
My manager just came back from lunch saying that she's starting a major detox tomorrow and wants one (or more) of us to join her in "getting rid of the toxins" in our bodies so we can lose weight easier together.

Whenever I hear the word "toxins" I generally smile and nod and think to myself "ZOMG TOXINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" because that just seems like a trigger word these days. Am I crazy? This "you've got toxins making you fat!" thing is bulls*it, right?

Do you just smile and nod when people tell you about their crazy fad diet/detox things?

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I'm more like "ZOMG Low Carb!!" A lot of family members think that loading up on bacon and steak is the only way to lose weight! Of course, one of those said persons just ended up with a stent in his heart........

What can you say? People only want to listen when they are ready!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    My manager just came back from lunch saying that she's starting a major detox tomorrow and wants one (or more) of us to join her in "getting rid of the toxins" in our bodies so we can lose weight easier together.

Whenever I hear the word "toxins" I generally smile and nod and think to myself "ZOMG TOXINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" because that just seems like a trigger word these days. Am I crazy? This "you've got toxins making you fat!" thing is bulls*it, right?

Do you just smile and nod when people tell you about their crazy fad diet/detox things?

It depends on how well I know them and how ridiculous their assertions are.

Example:

"I'm going to go on a low carb diet"

^ I wouldn't say anything. I don't do this approach myself, and I think it's a very misunderstood approach, but it can be effective.

"I'm going to shove coffee up my *kitten*"

^ I'd probably speak up here.

I agree with your premise on detoxes/toxins.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I forsee a bunch of people with low blood sugar and withdrawal punching each other at your workplace.

I keep my mouth shut about people's diets because they don't want to hear it. But if they're on here, I'll tell them it's stupid.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Example:

^ I wouldn't say anything. I don't do this approach myself, and I think it's a very misunderstood approach, but it can be effective.

But, but, but....oh damn...there go my weekend plans!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

Example:

But, but, but....oh damn...there go my weekend plans!

teehee
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I have fully functioning liver and kidneys. They do my detoxing for me.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options

not if you eat mcdonalds it makes your liver tired and your blood fills with toxins
  • RubyWare
    RubyWare Posts: 51 Member
    Options

People do that?!?! I'm curious now - just dry coffee grounds or brewed?
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I forsee a bunch of people with low blood sugar and withdrawal punching each other at your workplace.

I keep my mouth shut about people's diets because they don't want to hear it. But if they're on here, I'll tell them it's stupid.

Lol this would be me. Though, I would probably punch a customer before I punch one of my coworkers.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

It's all pseudoscience; just voodoo mumbo jumbo made up by unscrupulous product manufacturers to sell people gloried laxatives. Sadly, I'm not tactful enough to smile and nod, I'd probably respond with something along the lines of "Are you out of your mind?" making it a good thing that I'm self-employed.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options

You need to use the whole beans. Its called Cafenima and I highly recommend it once a week. If you have a porcine toilet I suggest replacing it with a stainless steel one or go outside.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Instant......:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Seriously though......yes, people do that. :huh:
  • myriahj84
    Options
    Cleansing your body of toxins is good for your system. You can do a juice cleanse or take milk thistle, etc as an aid for your current diet. I do cleanse and I find it helps. I compare it to changing the oil in your car. Cleansing helps get rid of the junk that has accumulated in your body. Some people love it, some hate it.
  • myriahj84
    Options

HAHAHAHA...when I saw this comment I knew it was you that would say that lol. I do detox cleanses but even I wouldn't do the coffee cleanse, but some people swear by it. YUCK
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options

I always wonder just what, specifically, they mean by "toxins". People who say it rarely have anything specific in mind, as far as I can tell. To me, a toxin is a specific chemical that is causing actual physical harm to your body - like shigella toxin. But do they have diarrhea and stomach cramps? No - so what are they talking about then? What "toxins" do they have that their liver and kidney can't get rid of by themselves?

But yeah - I usually keep quiet.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Cleansing your body of toxins is good for your system. You can do a juice cleanse or take milk thistle, etc as an aid for your current diet. I do cleanse and I find it helps. I compare it to changing the oil in your car. Cleansing helps get rid of the junk that has accumulated in your body. Some people love it, some hate it.

I just let my liver, kidneys, and intestines do that. That's what I pay them for anyway......
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

not if you eat mcdonalds it makes your liver tired and your blood fills with toxins
    Do you have a reference for that?
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

I always wonder just what, specifically, they mean by "toxins". People who say it rarely have anything specific in mind, as far as I can tell. To me, a toxin is a specific chemical that is causing actual physical harm to your body - like shigella toxin. But do they have diarrhea and stomach cramps? No - so what are they talking about then? What "toxins" do they have that their liver and kidney can't get rid of by themselves?

It's like the monster in your closet.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options

Do you have a reference for that?

google it
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options

exactly.
    Everytime I hear someone say the word "toxins" it just tells me they're totally uneducated on the subject and have no idea what they were talking about.

Now if someone were to come up to me and say they were doing X to take care of a buildup of Y... and have them be specific compounds or whatever.. then they may have my attention....

but toxins is a keyword for "I am an uneducated fool, and am probably about to do something foolish".