ZOMG TOXINS!!

Options

Replies

• siggakolla
    siggakolla Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    My mom is one of those people that whole heartily believe in detox and all that.. im not
    needless to say ive had to bite my tongue a few times and we have just decided o agree to disagree, she has done it a few times, and once actually going to a detox hotel for 3 weeks and she says she was much better for it, but i think its more of a placebo than anything.
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    My manager just came back from lunch saying that she's starting a major detox tomorrow and wants one (or more) of us to join her in "getting rid of the toxins" in our bodies so we can lose weight easier together.

Whenever I hear the word "toxins" I generally smile and nod and think to myself "ZOMG TOXINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" because that just seems like a trigger word these days. Am I crazy? This "you've got toxins making you fat!" thing is bulls*it, right?

Do you just smile and nod when people tell you about their crazy fad diet/detox things?

It depends on how well I know them and how ridiculous their assertions are.

Example:

"I'm going to go on a low carb diet"

^ I wouldn't say anything. I don't do this approach myself, and I think it's a very misunderstood approach, but it can be effective.

"I'm going to shove coffee up my *kitten*"

^ I'd probably speak up here.

I agree with your premise on detoxes/toxins.

:laugh:

While I do think de-toxing can be helpful - I don't think it should be used as weight loss solution. Some people take it way too extreme.

Depending on how long they want to "detox" - I forsee many grumpy people at your office in the near future!!!
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    I have fully functioning liver and kidneys. They do my detoxing for me.

not if you eat mcdonalds it makes your liver tired and your blood fills with toxins
    Do you have a reference for that?

google it

We will google it right after you repeat your statement without the personification of the liver.

Ok.. GO.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I have fully functioning liver and kidneys. They do my detoxing for me.

not if you eat mcdonalds it makes your liver tired and your blood fills with toxins
    Do you have a reference for that?

google it

You made the assertion, "google it" is a very unsatisfactory reply. What specifically is a tired liver?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Cleansing your body of toxins is good for your system. You can do a juice cleanse or take milk thistle, etc as an aid for your current diet. I do cleanse and I find it helps. I compare it to changing the oil in your car. Cleansing helps get rid of the junk that has accumulated in your body. Some people love it, some hate it.

Specifically what toxins are you cleansing from your system that your liver & kidneys don't? What "junk" accumulates in your body?
  • larisabones
    Options
    My manager just came back from lunch saying that she's starting a major detox tomorrow and wants one (or more) of us to join her in "getting rid of the toxins" in our bodies so we can lose weight easier together.

Whenever I hear the word "toxins" I generally smile and nod and think to myself "ZOMG TOXINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" because that just seems like a trigger word these days. Am I crazy? This "you've got toxins making you fat!" thing is bulls*it, right?

Do you just smile and nod when people tell you about their crazy fad diet/detox things?

"This "you've got toxins making you fat!" thing is bulls*it, right? "

To put it simply: yep.
  • Litlbeast
    Litlbeast Posts: 340 Member
    Options

If you have a porcine toilet I suggest replacing it with a stainless steel one or go outside.

I'm sorry... but that just killed me. MY POTTY'S CONSTRUCTED OF PURE BACON GOODNESS! :laugh:
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Cleansing your body of toxins is good for your system. You can do a juice cleanse or take milk thistle, etc as an aid for your current diet. I do cleanse and I find it helps. I compare it to changing the oil in your car. Cleansing helps get rid of the junk that has accumulated in your body. Some people love it, some hate it.

Specifically what toxins are you cleansing from your system that your liver & kidneys don't? What "junk" accumulates in your body?

^ And this is the question that I've yet to see answered by anyone promoting or believing that detoxes are beneficial given a normally functioning liver/kidneys.

Also, I am wagering that drmerc was trolling, just for the record.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I usually write people off like that as very uninformed and under educated. There are hundreds of people on this site who have lost weight, the good 'ol fashioned way- diet and exercise.

I've lost 27lbs so far and not once have I worried about the "toxins" in my body preventing me from losing the rest. Unless your boss is drinking Clorox for breakfast, I think she's full of phooey.
  • _danjo_
    _danjo_ Posts: 134 Member
    Options

If I had been actually drinking coffee, it probably would have come out my nose just now.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options

Chemical X
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    And actually, I also relate the "toxin" people to the people who "go on Weight Watchers" for two months a year and think that they're a healthy eater because of it. "Why, yes, Brittany, I am "dieting" too. I can only have 20 points today." WTF? My diet doesn't include "points". It includes protein, carbs, fats, sugar, and sodium. NONE of which you know anything about. AND BY THE WAY- I'm not DIETING. I eat healthy. There's a difference. I bet I eat three times the amount of REAL food in a day than those WW people eat in that "point" rated garbage that's propagated by that company...........I probably shouldn't get started on that rant.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    And actually, I also relate the "toxin" people to the people who "go on Weight Watchers" for two months a year and think that they're a healthy eater because of it. "Why, yes, Brittany, I am "dieting" too. I can only have 20 points today." WTF? My diet doesn't include "points". It includes protein, carbs, fats, sugar, and sodium. NONE of which you know anything about. ANY BY THE WAY- I'm not DIETING. I eat healthy. There's a difference. I bet I eat three times the amount of REAL food in a day than those WW people eat in that "point" rated garbage that's propagated by that company...........I probably shouldn't get started on that rant.

You should make a thread about it actually. You might be surprised.

I actually think when you look at various weight-loss programs as a whole, WW is one of the better ones. They are at least trying to take some sort of approximation to intake needs and calories and use a point system as a method to approximate and simplify.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options

Chemical X

I would not want to cleanse Chemical X from my body.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    And actually, I also relate the "toxin" people to the people who "go on Weight Watchers" for two months a year and think that they're a healthy eater because of it. "Why, yes, Brittany, I am "dieting" too. I can only have 20 points today." WTF? My diet doesn't include "points". It includes protein, carbs, fats, sugar, and sodium. NONE of which you know anything about. ANY BY THE WAY- I'm not DIETING. I eat healthy. There's a difference. I bet I eat three times the amount of REAL food in a day than those WW people eat in that "point" rated garbage that's propagated by that company...........I probably shouldn't get started on that rant.

I actually think when you look at various weight-loss programs as a whole, WW is one of the better ones. They are at least trying to take some sort of approximation to intake needs and calories and use a point system as a method to approximate and simplify.

I agree with a bit of both here. While WW simplifies everything to points, I think it doesn't teach the fundamentals about how it works.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options

Hehe I agree with you!!!!! The liver and kidneys clear toxins from the body and they do a wonderful job of it too. If you did want to assist them just drink lot's of water and eat a lot of fresh whole foods. No need for crazy expensive detoxes!!!!!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Chemical X

I would not want to cleanse Chemical X from my body.
    I think people are just looking for excuses for packing warm coffee grounds in their poopchute.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    "toxins" gets on my nerves too xD

These people cannot name a single one of these horrible toxins they are trying to get rid of :P
  • RubyWare
    RubyWare Posts: 51 Member
    Options

People do that?!?! I'm curious now - just dry coffee grounds or brewed?

You need to use the whole beans. Its called Cafenima and I highly recommend it once a week. If you have a porcine toilet I suggest replacing it with a stainless steel one or go outside.

[/quote]

Instant......:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Seriously though......yes, people do that. :huh:
    [/quote]

That is just ...words escape me... :noway: :huh:
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options

It is one of the BETTER ones, but it's still not good. Teaching people they can eat as many veggies and fruit in a day without counting it is kind of absurd. I guess it depends on the persons starting point, if it's an improvement for them over their previous eating habits, fine, but when a WW leader tells you that you can eat 4 bananas in a day if you want and not count it (this was told to me) I start to question their system.

As for the original post, I agree what was said earlier, if you have a functioning liver and kidneys you don't need to do a detox. I had to do a liver detox once but that was because my liver WASN'T working properly and it was medically prescribed. I think doing a "detox" is more about people 'starting fresh', if that works for them, all the power to 'em, but it really isn't needed. I think the same "ZOMG TOXINS!" when I hear people say it to lol