46 and determined to fight the belly fat myth!

Options
Hi
I am 46, and I've lost approx 60lbs over the last year. I've always heard that you just, at a certain age cannot lose that hip/belly fat and I'm determined to prove this wrong. It's like the world would have me settle and well, I just wasn't made for settling.

So my goal is to chisel it away..exercise, nutrition, green tea, coconut oil, giving up alcohol(gulp) all the while dealing with perimenopause, kids, a house a husband and my writing work.

Anyone have a similar goal?

Looking for friends to hang out with to stay motivated

Replies

• tmuster
    tmuster Posts: 72
    Options
    I am also with you. I am fixing to turn 40 and will not give up the battle to lose that belly fat. Here's to you girl.
    Friends request sent
  • MARTYJOE48
    MARTYJOE48 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am with you - I look forward to Christmas - I am determined to be where I want to be by then.......a gift for myself. :)
  • marcusg23
    Options
    I hope you're right. I need to get some belly fat off myself. It's one of the last places I do lose weight and the hardest to get and keep off. I hat that!
  • banshishi
    banshishi Posts: 197
    Options
    same here, rapidly heading to 42..determined to get to 43 in a lot better shape
  • CSYounce
    CSYounce Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am with you all!! 42 heading toward 43 here.

I will not accept this is "just what happens in your forties". If one more person - including doctors - says that to me I am going to scream!!!

I am motivated - I am funny (don't take myself too seriously) - and I am looking for kindred spirits on this journey!

Carolyn
  • daniedgex
    Options
    Wow - inspirational! Giving up alcohol - that's a toughie :(
  • littleandysmom
    littleandysmom Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'm 46 and it's just been in the last year that I've a problem with belly fat.
    I too am fighting it! Until recently I never counted calories and always thought I had a high metabolism.
    I've tried to drastically reduce my sugar intake and it's helping! Thank goodness for MFP!!!
  • breezedaze
    breezedaze Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody! I'm not giving up alcohol forever but I have had 1 glass of wine in 6 weeks and it's not been difficult. Helps that I'm outgoing and don't really need it for anything other than a drink/prop and sparkling water in a wine glass is just as nice. I've researched and I'm going to win this one...it's coming along. I've also had 4 children, 2 in my late 30's but nope..still not gonna lose this belly!
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    I think we can do it! I'm gonna make it my mission...
  • lisarosenstock
    Options
    Me too. I am 49 and have a long ways to go. My oldest daughter doesn't want to lose weight but she is going to go to the gym with me to TONE up. Tomorrow will be my first day. Fighting menopause and the weight gain, I have decided enough....So the mission begins 10/4/12.

Wish me luck. Any ideas on menu planning?
  • LeslieC1970
    Options
    I am 42 and started my journey about two months ago. I decided to splurge on the trainer and have been pretty strict with my diet. I believe that age does not need to determine fat on the belly. I haven't given up the alcohol just yet but I plan it in my calorie deficit if I am going out. Once I am closer to my goal I just may need to reconsider that. Add me if you like.
  • MonicaWalls
    MonicaWalls Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    sounds awesome! I have polycystic ovarian syndrome and it causes belly fat but I am also determined to lose my belly!!! :smile:
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I am 46, and I've lost approx 60lbs over the last year. I've always heard that you just, at a certain age cannot lose that hip/belly fat and I'm determined to prove this wrong. It's like the world would have me settle and well, I just wasn't made for settling.

So my goal is to chisel it away..exercise, nutrition, green tea, coconut oil, giving up alcohol(gulp) all the while dealing with perimenopause, kids, a house a husband and my writing work.

Yup and I achieved my goal at age 50. I had to ignore everyone that said I could not do it because this is just what happens when you are older.

BTW the only way to get rid of the tummy fat is a calorie deficit.

Exercise to make your body pretty once the fat is gone, not for weight loss. But exercise is necessary.

And lifting weights is KEY. I recently had my DXA scan done and at 51.5 years of age I have the bone density of a super athletic 30 year old. That is a direct result of lifiting for over 30 years. Now if that is not scientific proof that lifting weights keeps you younger I don't know what is! Also the technician told me I had .06 lbs of visceral fat. That is pretty much ZERO tummy fat, and believe me I had quite a bit before I started this journey. IT CAN BE DONE.

My story--> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740340-i-lost-60-lbs-at-age-51-anyone-can-any-workout

Exciting stuff happening for me now. My life is totally changed --> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/752246-i-m-afraid-to-try-an-new-weight-lifting-program-now

Some of my muscle "experiments"

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/742284-lets-see-some-muscle-chicks-real-ones

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/746754-how-to-get-abs-with-pics

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/734011-desserts-always-make-me-wake-up-ripped-with-pics

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/734137-the-new-me-pictures-not-posing
  • tmgibson
    tmgibson Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm 42 and I have been struggling with this myself. My hips are rapidly decreasing while my belly is slowly decreasing and I do mean slowly. I'm a curvy woman but at this rate my hips will be smaller than my belly. YIKES!
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    It can be done! I just turned 50 and in less than a year have lost 5 inches from my hips and 3 1/2 from my waist.
  • jemimasmum
    jemimasmum Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Oh no it can't be true! \I'm 47. I have coped with needing reading glasses since I was 45, that's p'd me off enough. I have grey hair appearing but that's no big deal - the fat is going!
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Turning 45 in 2 months and fighting the same battle! We can do this.

edit - you look awesome intrepid - congrats on your progress.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I'm 42 and I have been struggling with this myself. My hips are rapidly decreasing while my belly is slowly decreasing and I do mean slowly. I'm a curvy woman but at this rate my hips will be smaller than my belly. YIKES!

Yeah, at 49 my hips ARE smaller than my belly. Fortunately I look old enough that people don't ask me when my baby is due!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Hi

I with you! I'll be 54 in a few weeks. When I started going through perimenopause a few years ago my mid-section ballooned ugh!!!!. I joined MFP, stuck to my calorie goal (1500), kept my protein intake up (between 85 - 100 grams), started lifting weights like I mean it and I got results!!! F menopause! It can be done!!
  • trixiemou
    trixiemou Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Ditto about the belly fat! I know I have to do more exercise to get that bulge to decrease. I am slowly losong that weight which is helping but the battle of the bulge is gonna take more than that. I have that last 10 lbs to go and really have no idea what the struggle will be like, But here goes.......... Add me! x