Replies

• sarahslim100
    sarahslim100 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    i've heard thermomix is good too? just more expensive
  • thrudhammer
    thrudhammer Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Cook's Illustrated gave the Vitamix 5200 a great review, but they rated a cheaper blender, Breville Hemisphere Control, just as highly and it costs half as much.

+2

I've got a Vitamix and love it. Sturdy, effective, does everything I want and has for years. My only complaint is that for the price the dang thing ought to mow my lawn.

The folks at Cook's are penny-pinching food geeks that put their tools through a real world workout - when they have an opinion it's worth listening to.
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Still sounding very appealing, I'm not fussed about it being the vitamix brand, do we have a name for vitamix things? Or are they just marketed as blenders? (Aka, can I look for other devices with strong motors and blunt blades that will emulsify food)?

It's totally plausible they'll cost $700 for an Australian consumer, that's the price I was quoted.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I looked at a Vitamix a while back and they were insanely expensive here in Canada too, I ended up getting a factory refurbished Blendtec commercial model on eBay for a very reasonable price and have been very happy with it.
  • Yummamamma
    Yummamamma Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I bought a ninja blender for 100.00. happy with that one...
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    Cook's Illustrated gave the Vitamix 5200 a great review, but they rated a cheaper blender, Breville Hemisphere Control, just as highly and it costs half as much.

gddrdld mentioned the Blendtec. They gave the Blendtec Total a terrible review and said it couldn't crush ice properly, while over-blending a smoothy to soup-like thinness.

I don't own any of these products, but I have found Cook's to be pretty reliable in their reviews.

I had the Breville you are talking about. It died exactly 3 days after their 1 year warranty was up. Good thing I got it from Bed Bath and Beyond and they took it back eventhough I didn't ask them too. I got the Vitamis after my Breville died. It is backed by a 7 year warranty if bought through Costco.
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I've honestly never heard of a Vitamix blender (probably because $700 sounds more like the price of a car to me than the price of a blender) but I have the classic Oster beehive glass blender and have had it for over 2 years and I absolutely love it. I've never had such a nice blender and I believe it only had a price tag of $60.
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Bought mine nearly 20 years ago. Fantastic. Worth every penny, I have a tiny kitchen and have got rid of most of the small appliances. I would never let my vitamix go. I would give away my pots and pans first.
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I have had one for over a year. They are amazing and they are worth the money. Best tool in my arsenal next to diet and exercise. I've never met someone who regrets purchasing one.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    If I spend $700 on a blender, it had better get the ingredients, mix it the way I like it, wake me up, have my clothes laid out for me by the time I'm out of the shower and have the car pulled out and warmed up by the time I walk out the door.

I love our cheap blender. Use it every single day and it works just fine. I don't know what special mojo magic a Vitamix blender does that would be much different, but even if I did, I could buy so much more with $700 (or even $450) then purchase a blender. This, of course, is my personal opinion, and as far as I know, I have no need for anything more than what my current blender provides.

YMMV
  • derekj222
    derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Ninja blenders are super powerful as well...like $100.
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Bought mine nearly 20 years ago. Fantastic. Worth every penny, I have a tiny kitchen and have got rid of most of the small appliances. I would never let my vitamix go. I would give away my pots and pans first.

LOL, if my house was burning down... after gettting people and pets out I would next grab my Vitamix. I guess people that don't own one just can't understand.
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,107 Member
    Options
    Love Love Love ours!!! Worth every dollar we spent on it... got ours off QVC on the 5 install deal so it was like 93.00 bucks a month.. We went with the 64 oz. model and only thing I would suggest is if you do not have the cabinet height (it will not fit under traditional height cabinets..) We have an island area for ours so it is no big deal.. But if you are going to keep it out on the counter then go with the model with the 48 oz. pitcher. the motor units are the same they just make it with the 48 oz pitcher to fit under cabinet.. We make all kinds of stuff in ours....... Best of Luck

^^^^^^^
    Exactly!! WONDERFULmachine.
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I've had my blendtec for about 3 years now. Got it at Costco on sale for like $349 or something like that. I use it daily and LOVE it. I don't know why a review would say it doesn't hack ice-it sure does better than any other blender I've ever owned.
    For me, the #1 reason I love it-I don't have to take apart 800 pieces to clean the thing!
  • Navotc
    Navotc Posts: 97
    Options
    We love our Vitamix. We use it all the time. We have had it for almost 10 years, and one of the controls is starting to go, but the thing works like a champ. SO worth it. We have used it to make our own peanut butter, we have used it to grind up grain for flour, but mostly we use it to blend up fruit/veggies for smoothies.

We'll buy another one when this one croaks. LOVE it.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I got to sample some blends from a vitamix on the weekend, a green smoothie and raw soup, it all tasted amazing, but they cost $700. Has anyone splashed the cash? Was it worth it?

I've had mine for years and my husband uses it every day. He likes his protein shakes with lots of blended ice and most blenders could not handle that. We love it. We definitely got our money's worth having had it for about 10 years now.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Just my own .02 here. If you're wanting to do smoothies and all of this other stuff... try a cheaper blender first. Get a brand X and mix all of your stuff in it. Do it as often as you think you would with the superblender of your choice. If you see that you need the superblender and are going to keep it up as a regular thing, then jump on it. That's like wanting to learn how to ride a motorcycle, buying a harley, then just leaving it in the garage all the time. "That's a super nice bike, I just never ride it."
  • bluechip777
    bluechip777 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Love my Vitamix!!
  • Fittabulous
    Fittabulous Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    One of my shakeology customers bought one to use for her shakes, she started adding in spinach, avocado, nuts, banana, flaxseed and said it was awesome, and much better than her regular bullet... as far as worth the money... just depends on how bad you want your shake to be good. lol
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    We love our Vitamix. We use it all the time. We have had it for almost 10 years, and one of the controls is starting to go, but the thing works like a champ. SO worth it. We have used it to make our own peanut butter, we have used it to grind up grain for flour, but mostly we use it to blend up fruit/veggies for smoothies.

We'll buy another one when this one croaks. LOVE it.

Exact same story. LOL 10 years and if it dies I'm getting another one. Can't live without it!