Poop question

Options
What kind of foods can I add into my diet as a natural stool softener?

Replies

• noseovertail
    Options
    Any high fiber fruits & veggies. Apples & bananas work for me, but I know prunes work for many others. Psyllium Husk in your water or as a topper to cereal works very well too.
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :wink: Prunes! They work:drinker:

Laura:smile:
  • gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Some people have great results with prunes, apple sauce, fiber drinks or pills. Don't forget to drink lots of water.
  • veggieheadie
    Options
    my best is apples and carrots
    since having my last two babies, i've had all sorts of fun little issues and these two foods r what seem to help the most.
  • lazygalina
    Options
    blueberry works for me..
  • oAngieMaeo
    Options
    Flax seed is excellent Stool softener. I ate that in smoothies and yogurts after I had my daughter and didn't need any thing else!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Prunes and dark chocolate!
  • EmilyStrick
    Options
    eat vegetarian more often.
  • scarecrow41
    Options
    Strawberries and blueberries are natural diuretics. But the most important thing, as mentioned before, its lots and lots and LOTS of water.
  • augustbells
    Options
    I have chronic constipation so I eat a high fibre diet. I found what helps me is fruit & veggies, all bran cereal, beans, and Metamucil wafers (the apple flavor is pretty good) and tons of water. Also walking (or other exercise) helps as well. If this is just a once in awhile problem for you, you could try milk of magnesia (found in the pharmacy)...it tastes awful but it works! Lol
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    I've found MFP has my fiber too low, so I set mine at 25g and get at least that per day. Try it and see what happens! :) I used to eat double fiber bread and high fiber english muffins.
  • lynnie30
    lynnie30 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    make sure you are drinking enough water
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    When I did WW I noticed that when I stopped adding the 2 tsp. of healthy oil to my diet I had this problem. Adding back 2 tsp. of healthy oil (canola, olive are two) my stools were much softer.
  • CinthyNair
    Options
    bananas and papayas work for me :flowerforyou:
  • stef_e_b
    stef_e_b Posts: 593
    Options
    Thanks guys, you really helped me out!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Almonds do the trick for me!!
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with this too. I'm trying to get more and more fiber into my diet. I've heard that apples contain a different kind of fiber... there is soluble and insoluble. The type that is in most fruits is the heart healthy type not the bowel movement type. I could be wrong about this. One of my new favorite snacks is kashi honey sunshine cereal (About 6 grams of fiber in 3/4 cup). It's great to snack on- I like it dry better than with milk and you can have quite a bit for only 100 calories.

I'm going to look for those Metamucil crackers and try prunes (I don't know if I like them or not) Thanks for those suggestions!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Oh and coffee, but everyone's different. My bf says coffee stops him up but I can drink a cup of coffee and 5 minutes later be on the pot :happy:
  • suziblues2000
    suziblues2000 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    coffee
  • brandylmartin
    Options
    If you are an A blood type, your body may have a hard time digesting protein. Bromelain, which is pineapple enzyme, helps digest and help in elimination.