Going over 1200 calories

Options
Forgive me, I am new to this and have never counted calories before. I just started on My Fitness Pal last week. Usually I am about 1200 calories or give or take 50 above. Some days i have been really below which i figure is fine but yesterday I went 600 above! Did I totally ruin everything?:ohwell:

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    No - you did NOT totally ruin everything.

The total number of calories UNDER determines the amount of weight you lose. Example: if you are under 3500 calories for say .. a week ...you lose 1 pound. If you are under 1,750 calories for the next week ... you lose 1/2 pound.

Not everyone can do 1200 calories long term. So, many people choose a higher number ... and lose a little slower. No biggie.

Also ... add some exercise for the day. That extra "activity" will EARN you calories.
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Forgive me, I am new to this and have never counted calories before. I just started on My Fitness Pal last week. Usually I am about 1200 calories or give or take 50 above. Some days i have been really below which i figure is fine but yesterday I went 600 above! Did I totally ruin everything?:ohwell:
    The only way you can totally ruin everything is to quit. If you say "Well, I was 600 over yesterday, so everything is ****ed and I'm just going to give up and eat whatever I want whenever I want and never exercise" then yeah, you've ruined everything. But if you say "Well, it's just one day, and I'm not going to make that mistake again" and recommit, then you're fine. I would be concerned about going "really below" 1200 calories more than going 600 over. I think you might need to think about why you're doing this so you can really commit to it. Going over or under every now and then isn't a big deal, but if you're all over the map all the time, that's worrisome.
  • kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    First, I love your Profile. Too funny.

Here's what I say it's no big deal to go over or under by a few calories here or there. Some people do a cyale where they do high a few days low others to even out to a weekly deficit goal. One day at 600 over won't hurt you, but don't make it a habit.

Also you only have 15 pounds to lose so depending on your height 1200 may be a little low. I would suggest figuring out your BMR and not going much lower than that. Check out the "In place of the Roadmap" thread by Helloitsdan it's really helpful!
  • SpiritRockBernie
    Options
    600 calories over is not a big deal, but you won't lose weight if you consistently go over. You may maintain your weight but you won't lose weight. if you want some support and encoruagement, you can add me on your Friends list.
  • Jenniferrylie8
    Options
    Help I'm always under the 1200 cal but I'm not dropping weight and I'm exercising everyday what might I be doing wrong my bmi is 25.3 it's over .3 so I'm consider over weight I'm 5"6 and 157 I would like to get back to 140 145 please any in put welcome I'm getting frustrated and about to give up on this :(
  • Nattie105
    Options
    No biggie! :)
  • kellicci
    Options
    Help I'm always under the 1200 cal but I'm not dropping weight and I'm exercising everyday what might I be doing wrong my bmi is 25.3 it's over .3 so I'm consider over weight I'm 5"6 and 157 I would like to get back to 140 145 please any in put welcome I'm getting frustrated and about to give up on this :(

You might start your own thread. But I went to the tools tab and put in your info and your BMR is 1445. You're not too far overweight so you might want to set a smaller deficit. if you set your goal to 1400 calories and eat that much and eat back at least some exercise cals it might work for you. It looks like 1200 isn't working what have you got to lose?
  • Kaiukas
    Kaiukas Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I think the most important thing is to get rid of the 'I ruined everything' mindset. This is why so many people quit their regimes: it is all or nothing!

This is a LIFELONG process, a marathon, not a sprint! As long as you adopt healthy eating and exercise habits that you will stick to 90% of the time for the rest of your life, it is impossible to 'ruin everything'. A little bit of indulgence here and there is NOT what makes people overweight, it is the habitual too much food/too little exercise ratio.

Best of luck on your journey!:flowerforyou:
  • stormywxs
    stormywxs Posts: 254 Member
    Options

I just saw this advice from Jillian Michaels. She's a bit harsh at times but if you can handle hard hard truth she has some good points. http://www.everydayhealth.com/weight/i-am-exercising-and-not-seeing-results-what-am-i-doing-wrong.aspx?xid=nl_EverydayHealthDietandNutrition_20121 002
  • TeaBea
    Options

Are we talking 1200 calories NET? Eat 1800 less 600 exercise calories = 1200

A couple of thoughts ....

1. The closer you are to goal, the more important it is to eat your exercise calories back. Just make sure your exercise calories are not exaggerated (easy to do ... machines & MFP overstate often). If you are eating calories back ... it may be too many.

2. If you are not eating your calories back (you eat calories back to fuel your workouts & keep muscle mass)..... then the calorie deficit is really too big. This is not enough food. Your body is trying to conserve energy. Look up eat more to lose weight thread .......
  • Jenniferrylie8
    Options
    Thank you not sure how to start my own thread I'm scared to eat 1800 cal I feel I will start gain and not lose weight
  • Jenniferrylie8
    Options
    Thanks
  • Jenniferrylie8
    Options
    When I exercise and it says you cam eat more calories I never do I stick to 1200
  • XYMF
    XYMF Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks everyone! The posts made me feel better and gave me the strength to keep on going!! But not keep on going over, that's what I mean!:tongue:
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    No you didn't ruin anything. I go 600 calories over 1200 most days and still lose. MFP's calculator is only basing it on the information you provide and most people input their info wrong out of fear or ignorance.
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I thought the calories set by MFP was the amount you should be eating to lose the amount of weight per week that you nominate when you first set it up. It takes the amount you should be eating then deducts calories automatically to give you a set amount to eat and still lose weight on. So you should aim to eat close to that amount, not aim to be 100 calories under that.

That's why it is important to eat back a good proportion of the calories you burn with exercise as well because you are already eating at a level that is designed to lose weight. If you don't then you risk being too many calories under and get near survival mode.

And FWIW one day of 600 over isn't going to hurt - we all have days where it won't be possible to stick to our calorie levels (I'm going to a charity ball on the weekend and I will drink my fair share of champagne and eat my canapes without guilt.) Just get straight back on it the next day. Some on this site don't log their weekend foods and still lose.
  • kellicci
    Options
    When I exercise and it says you cam eat more calories I never do I stick to 1200

Okay well you need to up them a little especially if you don't eat back exercise calories. Your BMR was over 1400 when I ran it and that mean your body needs over 1400 to keep your vital organs running properly. It's all just math. To lose a pound you have to burn 3500 more calories than your eat but the closer you get to your goal the harder that becomes to do as quickly as some would hope. If your BMR is 1450 that means your TDEE is somewhere around 1740 on the low end. If you NET your BMR you would still be at a 290 deficit per day which is half a pound a week. Pretty darn good for the last few pounds and you get to eat more. I say that's a win-win.

I eat back most of my exercise calories. I was in the same boat as you only needed to lose about 10 pounds. I set my goal to 1300 a little under my BMR (mine's low b/c I'm pretty short) b/c I probably underestimate food calories and overestimate calories burned like most people....and you know what I still lost weight 5 pounds in 45 days! I'm halfway there!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I focus on net calories for the week rather than daily calories
  • judykmmg
    judykmmg Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    5'6" and only eating 1200 or less? That is too little. Your body is holding your weight. It's called starvation mode. Go up on the calorie count a little. Also, take measurements. You may be losing fat and gaining muscle. It shows up in the measurements.
  • TeaBea
    Options
    5'6" and only eating 1200 or less? That is too little. Your body is holding your weight. It's called starvation mode. Go up on the calorie count a little. Also, take measurements. You may be losing fat and gaining muscle. It shows up in the measurements.

I really don't think you are gaining muscle..... not if you are consistantly under 1200 calories. Healthy weight loss gives you enough calories to KEEP muscle (1200 net recommended minimum) ..... building muscle usually requires even more calories.