If you like frozen dinners...

Options
If you like frozen dinners occasionally, then you have to try Amy's Organic. I have had all sorts of frozen dinners, and this is BY FAR the best one I have ever had. The food tastes like food, like what it's actually supposed to taste like. It's not overly sweet or salty. I had a verde cheese tamale, and I could taste all of the quality ingredients. Amazinggggggg and only 360 cals!

Only con: double the price of my regular Lean Cuisine :( but since I only eat one per week, I can splurge!

Replies

• sprags
    sprags Posts: 56
    Options
    Have you tried any of the curries? I always see them at the store and I'm SOOO tempted to try them!!
  • bethie0828
    bethie0828 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My friend and I shop together a lot. She always get the Amy's Organics...esp the curries. She happens to love them. She also really likes the Trader Joe's Indian frozen meals. I love the Trader Joe's Black Bean and Corn Enchiladas. Very reasonable in price and calories.
  • auntbliz
    auntbliz Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    They have some gluten free stuff too, which is important in my house, so we love them for the occasional splurge into "fast food."
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I love Amy's foods!! I take one of her 'meals' to work 4 days a week (the other day is either Kashi or non-boxed). The convenience is worth the price, considering that they have nothing artificial in them.
  • K1sses
    K1sses Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Trader's has a good Shrimp Etoufee also. I think is 370 cals. Not bad for a quick bite between meetings.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Many of Amy's dishes have higher levels of sodium than I am comfortable with,--particularly the Mexican style dishes--so I do a lot of label reading, but not much buying. I prefer Kashi brand.

Also, if you like curry, try the Trader Joe's Chicken Vindaloo. Comes in a single serve container. Can't recall what paid for it, but it couldn't have been too much or I wouldn't have bougnt it.has 290 calories and 590 mg of sodium
  • K1sses
    K1sses Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Congrats on being smoke-free! You should be so proud of yourself. Quitting is one of the hardest things in the world to do. I know . . . I'm a respiratory therapist!
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    This was the first one I had tried. I love curry, so perhaps I will get that one next! And we don't have Trader Joe's here :( I would have to drive to the next big city to go there, so I just get to shop in a little "all natural/organic" section of Kroger. We do have Whole Foods here though, but it's too expensive for me!

The sodium in this meal was only 780mg, which I didn't think was too bad. I figure the convenience is worth the sodium sometimes! I also like Kashi meals--I had the mayan harvest bake and it was great!
  • tanzmitpalmer
    tanzmitpalmer Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Amy's = Heck yeah. I can totally jack up some enchiladas and veggie-loaf. The rice bowls are pretty delicious, too. I rarely get the chance to have them, though... only if they go on sale.
  • aveluv
    Options
    steamer bowls, hands down. 2nd best is TJ's chicked enchiladas/ both types under just 300 calories and dont taste like frozen dinners.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    CourtneyL--Sorry there is no TJ's near you. Compared to other processed foods, I guess 780 mg of sodium is relatively low, but I try to stick things that are under 650 mg sodium per serving--due to being on HBP meds. If the rest of your diet is low in sodium, your Amy's choice sounds like a good thing.

I also like the Mayan Harvest Bake by Kashi. There is another one--Lemongrass, something--might be chicken? can't remember. As i recall it was pretty good.
  • estherguas
    estherguas Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I also love Morning Star Farms entrees.. The Lasagna is soo good and very filling...the cost is a bit high at 3.50 per entree but it's worth it I think... I'll have to try the Amy'd brand.
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    I think I'm going to try the Amy's lasagna next. It was roasted veggie and looked tasty. I have never seen Morningstar entrees. Is that the same company that makes the vegetarian "meat?" I bought some of their "sausage" and it was pretty good. I only got it because I couldn't find my regular frozen turkey sausage! I have never had fake meat before, and I was pleasantly surprised. It had the same texture as sausage and tasted like herbs. Good alternative if you don't eat meat.
  • estherguas
    estherguas Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I also buy the morningstar sausage crumbles and veggie burgers my favortie flavors are spicy black bean, tomato basil pizza burger, original garden patty and the triple mushroom... I also love veggie patch brand meatless meatballs.. a year ago you would have never seen me even talking about meatless or veggie anything but I am very surprised with how good they taste and how full I get.

I think I'm going to try the Amy's lasagna next. It was roasted veggie and looked tasty. I have never seen Morningstar entrees. Is that the same company that makes the vegetarian "meat?" I bought some of their "sausage" and it was pretty good. I only got it because I couldn't find my regular frozen turkey sausage! I have never had fake meat before, and I was pleasantly surprised. It had the same texture as sausage and tasted like herbs. Good alternative if you don't eat meat.