Winter Cardio Ideas

Options
Most of my cardio comes from walking/running outside so when the massive amounts of snow come, how do you guys get in your cardio?

(I do not have access to a gym and I live with other people so I can't spend a long time working out in the room)

Replies

• bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    If you really CAN'T get to a gym, then Zumba, P90X, Insanity and/or any other workout video.
  • SergeiKay
    SergeiKay Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    How's about's using the snow to your advantage and hop on some skis?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I run outdoors all year 'round (and we have cold, snowy winters here - if you dress properly it can be very enjoyable)

Skiing, snowshoeing - there are other options too that involve exercise and fresh air.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    How about jogging in place and calisthenics?
  • Zainia
    Zainia Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Maybe i should mention I'm in college. I have no car, no skis (or ability to ski lol), no DVD player for my 30DS and I can only exercise indoors when my roommates aren't there (i live in a tiny box). I like jumping jacks and I do the usual crunches/push-ups/hand-weights but I need some more fat burning ideas.
  • dlzal
    dlzal Posts: 7
    Options
    Have you considered trying strength training for fat loss?
  • Zainia
    Zainia Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    yeah but my little 3lb weights probably aren't going to be enough for strength training and fat loss.
  • drakechic08
    drakechic08 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Do you have a computer? 30DS is all on youtube along with a bunch of other work out videos.
  • NikkiSmo
    NikkiSmo Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Do you have stairs in your house / apt? Run up and down them - ALOT! If you dont I'm sure there is an apt or office building that does use those. I bet your college has a set of stairs somewhere..... be creative.
  • jessalleyne
    Options
    First you are going to have to decide that you really want to do this - all of us face constraints & for some it is easier than others. But success comes out of MAKING it happen - not just wanting it.

There are a ton of workout routines available through iTunes, shape magazine has published some - just research online. Intervals are great - going from upper body to lower body will raise the heart rate - so rotate between squats & pushups.

Figure out what you can do - small trampoline. Get a deck of cards and for each of the 4 suits you assign it something like, cardio for hearts, spades are abs, diamonds are legs and clubs are arms. You write down 13 exercises for each of these 4 areas. Shuffle the cards & pull one - 8 of hearts - hearts means you grab one of your cardio exercise cards... jumping jacks - do 8 of them.
  • yourmomdude
    Options
    Perhaps join a rec team like soccer? Ballroom dancing. Swing dancing burns a lot of calories and is super fun!
  • derekj222
    derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Your college MUST have a gym
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Ive gotten where I enjoy running outside in the colder weather (I did not say Frigid) Fortunate for me we dont have much of that or if we do it does not last very long. dont know what you financial situation is but maybe invest in some warmer winter running gear I did and makes my runs very enjoyable. I think I spent about 200.00 for some nice running gear not including my shoes add another 100 for the shoes I will buy in a couple months.