Restaurant workers

Options
At the moment I'm working at a restaurant to put myself through college. I've been working there for over a year but keep battling the same issue.

The food we offer is not... the greatest and I work there about 30-40 hours a week, on top of school, which messes with my ability to eat healthy on so many levels.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to get through longer shifts without gorging myself on bread? When I remember, I bring a Clif bar or something of the ilk, I just can't bring in real food. I'm lucky to get in a food bar of some sort thanks to a letter from my doctor due to my low blood pressure.

So does anyone have other suggestions? The same issue? Healthier bar/ideas for me when I go into work? I'd appreciate the help!

Replies

• Culley34
    Culley34 Posts: 224
    Options
    You can't bring your own food?
  • h_met
    h_met Posts: 15
    Options
    No, as I work in a restaurant, I am not allowed to bring in my own food. We're supposed to eat before or after our shift. There are county health issues with food prepared in a kitchen vs at home and them being mixed. Also, if I were to bring in something like a sandwich, my other coworkers would ask why they aren't allowed it.

The snacks I bring in are supposed to be prepackaged. Sometimes I try to get away with carrot sticks.
  • skellyness
    skellyness Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why you can't bring a sandwich tbh.. sounds like they are trying to get a captive audience. Are there any healthier food places around near where you work?
  • h_met
    Options
    A food court. At a mall. Which isn't healthy in the least. I'm not given breaks during my shift, so I couldn't leave to go find food half way through.

The sandwich could contaminate food, fall into other people's plates, and then there's the issue of food stuck in my teeth, guests seeing me eat the sandwich, no where to store it, etc.
  • dalgirly
    dalgirly Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Is there any way you can throw something like nuts into you bag??

Its weird you cannot eat your own food. I worked at a restaurant throughout University, and they were happy to let us bring our own food.

Also, are there things like fruit or veggies you can eat while there??
  • jzaz903
    jzaz903 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    i work at a dunkin donuts, and they let me eat a little on shift.
    obviously i can't stop working in the middle of the morning rush, but when we're not so busy i take a break, go into the back(where customers can't see me) and eat. i bring my own food, usually a sandwich, oatmeal, fruit, etc.

you could try to make sure you eat plenty before your shift starts, go outside and eat a banana or something during a break(of course they might not give you real breaks, but you could take a "cigarette break" or "bathroom break" and eat. i've gone out to my car to "smoke a cigarette"(even though i don't smoke) and eaten something there.)
    you just have to plan for those things. i work long shifts too.
  • h_met
    Options
    I don't have a bag either. I work in a corporate chain, their rules are vastly different. I used to work for a small restaurant on my campus as well, and anything went.

I have an apron with two medium pockets, that's the best I can bring in. Bags aren't allowed for space reasons. I could probably bring in nuts of some sort.

Also, we aren't allowed to "smoke" so I couldn't say that I'm going out for a "smoke break" or else I could be potentially fired.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I used to work in the fast food industry. My tip is to log log log. Keep track of everything you eat. That way you can make sure you're staying within your goal. It's way to easy to eat more than you realize over the course of a long shift.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I work at an all you can eat dining center as a culinary intern during the week. I just sip on some water and avoid eating anything while I am there for the most part. Or I grab a banana or something
    Self control and will power are needed for that kind of job
  • preaser
    preaser Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Unless you really love your job or they pay extremely well, maybe it's time to look for something different that's not in the food industry.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    . This is really stupid, and I would call bullsh*t on it, but that's me. For you, leave it in your car, go out to your car and eat. Issue solved.
  • chef84
    chef84 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hold on ...how many hours you have to work in the row? 8? Without a break???
  • KH9107
    KH9107 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    So bizarre! I've worked in 2 different chain restaurants and I was able to bring my own food in at both. Also, the smokers were able to take smoke breaks! I guess different managers may = different rules. :-/

Anyway, I'm sure there are healthy options right in the restaurant. I worked in a place where people are gaga over the cheddar biscuits. After awhile, they were gross to me. I lost a bunch of weight while working there by eating grilled chicken, burgers without the bun with a side of broccoli, plain baked potatoes, salads with oil and vinegar. It may get redundant, but there are options!

Also, if they are such sticklers for the rules, they are legally required to give you a break if you work a certain amount of hours. Pack your food in a cooler and eat it in the car.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Could you get away with taking a protein shake in? I do that sometimes, it's pretty much the same as a drink so no-one really minds if I have it at work. I don't get breaks either ;-(
  • harrietlg
    harrietlg Posts: 239
    Options
    sounds like my job except they all get half hour breaks on their 8-12 hour shifts and can eat what they like. Those rules are weird, i prepare my own food at work all the time since i'm a chef, i quite often bring my own foods in but i'm allowed to eat whats in the kitchen and I can make it healthy. You'll have to eat a big meal before, a protein snack in the middle and a meal after, your job is ridiculous though, i know I don't get breaks but if i'm on my own it's difficult, you guys should, you run around more, perhaps you should appeal to head office the rules may not be what they seem?
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    A food court. At a mall. Which isn't healthy in the least. I'm not given breaks during my shift, so I couldn't leave to go find food half way through.

The sandwich could contaminate food, fall into other people's plates, and then there's the issue of food stuck in my teeth, guests seeing me eat the sandwich, no where to store it, etc.

How many hours are you working per shift?
  • SMJ1987
    SMJ1987 Posts: 368
    Options
    Provided your shifts are longer than 4 or 5 hours this seems to violate some pretty important labour laws...no?
  • vbrent07
    vbrent07 Posts: 115
    Options
    They have apple and carrot snack packs, maybe those would be okay?
  • duchessglencairn
    Options
    How about a meal replacement shake? You could put it in one of their cups so it looks like you are using their products.
  • lovemykids58
    lovemykids58 Posts: 195 Member
    Options

By law they HAVE to give you breaks depending on the amount of hours you work. If you are wotking 30-40 hours you should be given 2 15 min breaks and a lunch.... I'd look for another location to work