Does anyone plan their meals in advance?

Options
I think this would help me but I would like some imput. Has anyone tried this? Did it work for you?

Replies

• sarah5423
    sarah5423 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I plan my meals up to 4 or 5 days in advance, I know what to buy when shopping - it makes meal times less of a hassle and I have an overall idea of my weekly calorie intake - so for example if I do really well Monday to Thursday then I can plan a bit of a splurge on the weekend or allow for a meal out etc. Personally for me it works really well but everyone is different, try it for a couple of weeks and see how it goes...
  • slshaw23
    slshaw23 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I shop for weekdays and we have fun on the weekends but still healthy meals with one free day
  • amberaz
    amberaz Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I plan out all of our dinners a couple of weeks are a time so I never have to wonder what I need to cook for dinner. It also helps me to balance out different veggies, proteins and carbs throughout the week. As for MFP, I take a few minutes at night to put in what I will eat the next day just to give me a through plan to go by. If I need to change something or want something different, I just change things around. Works great for me!
  • Amandapandacakes
    Options
    I try to, but sometimes... I just don't follow the plan, but at least I try, right? :p
  • Dahllywood
    Dahllywood Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I always plan my meals for the next day, at least breakfast and lunch. It's worked great for me. Keeps me in check
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Kind of... I'll shoot for a different kind of meat every night of the week, and use leftovers for lunch or as sides the next day. (This week's a challenge, since there's been a huge recall of beef in my country. Steaks usually count for at least two nights.) Usually I'll grill or pan-fry; once in a while I get fancy. I try to get at least one veggie dinner in. I might do a roast on a weekend, if I'm home during the day.

I mostly have the same greens on hand (rotating between brussel sprouts, brocc, spinach, kale, green beans), which can be used a bunch of ways.

I keep things like ham, salmon & tuna to use in a pinch (in salads, soups, omelettes, & pasta things).

I also pick up the odd frozen cheat meal - pizza, chicken breasts, etc - for lazy days. I'm lucky that my local grocery store has a great brand of lighter, high protein versions of those.

Tons of greek yogurt, for practically everything. I sprinkle lentils on whatever I can.

Basically, I have a standard grocery list that's pretty versatile.
  • takingnameskickingbutt
    Options
    I plan EVERYTHING! Workouts and meals:

Remember, failing to plan is planning to fail!
  • csheltra26
    csheltra26 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I eat the same thing every day for breakfast, mid morning snack and afternoon snack. I do change up my lunches and dinners. That helps me figure out my calories relatively easy. I should note that this is M-F. Weekends I change up what I eat and I need to be better about tracking that for sure.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I normally have mine planned a day or two in advance. It stops me going over and I worry if I haven't done it. I think it's a must especially if you aren't on a lot of calories.
  • mommyshortlegs
    mommyshortlegs Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Every morning, using MFP's food diary, I draft (roughly estimate) my calorie day to provide myself a guideline to follow. At the very least, I enter in estimated dinner calories, our largest meal of the day, thus giving me an idea of the room I have to work with for my breakfast, lunch, and snacks. Prior to joining MFP (not quite a month ago) and trying to "healthify" my lifestyle, I used to plan my dinner menus in advance; now, as I painstakingly reassess what we're eating, making modifications along the way, slowly entering each recipe into MFP to ascertain the nutritional value, I've lately been planning from morning to morning.
  • m3isme
    m3isme Posts: 9
    Options
    Yep, I usually plan what I'm going to eat for breakfast and lunch, then I'll know how many calories I've got left to work with for dinner. I use MFP to log my first two meals the night before. If I change anything on the go, than I log onto my mobile app and change it...works well for me to help stick to my daily calorie goal.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    I think this would help me but I would like some imput. Has anyone tried this? Did it work for you?
    its part of the key to success.
  • moreORless50
    moreORless50 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    i am not one of lifes planners i may decide in the morn what to have for the days meals but can easaly change me mind by the time i open the fridge
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I'm curious as to how one grocery shops without having any sort of plan as to what to eat?

We make a list of every meal we're going to eat for the week, work out what we need to buy at the store to make all those meals, then go to the store and buy everything on our list.
  • Toxictwist
    Options
    I make my meals 3 days in advance, just saves me alot of time & i know my calorie intake/be able to plan around what i have packed if plans come up
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I do it everyday. Don't be ashamed of by planning your meals and/or workouts. You plan your daily routine: work schedule, kid's school drive, shopping, holidays, family events, dinners, birthdays, anniversary etc. Why can't we plan a few more things? What rule or social convention says we can't plan our meals and workouts?
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I usually do my diary for the next day on here and then just modify it a bit if it changes.
    Another reason I love the free tools here. The Recipes tool is great for home cooking and watching cals/sodium.
  • elizak87
    elizak87 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Every weekend I shop and make my meals for the week. I then weigh and portion my meals and snacks and freeze and store them. I make about four different meals and will grab what I feel like that day. The day you do it sucks and it feels like the longest day but the rest of the week there is no thought put in. I just defrost and eat. Each meal is about 350 calories so I don't mind if I mix upwhat I have. In saying that I live alone so it is so much easier to do. No one wants seconds or miscalculates serving size
  • cwanek726
    cwanek726 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I plan everything. I go to work with my breakfast, snacks, and lunch (and there's a bag of pistachios in my drawer for emergencies). I find that I'm more successful if I am completely prepared.
  • pamperedpenguin
    pamperedpenguin Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I plan at least 1 day in advance sometimes 2. That way in the morning I already know what I'm having and I don't have to guess and make a calorie mistake.
    Also knowing what I'm going to have makes taking lunch/snacks with me on the go easier.
    I would definitely recommend planning!