Advice Appreciated

Options
I had been doing really well using my fitness pal, i'd lost almost 20lbs in about 10/11 weeks and i'd got into a great routine of logging my food, exercising a lot (zumba twice a week, swimming twice a week, gym twice a week and loads of walking!)

Now i'm 12 weeks pregnant with my third child and had the scan today, which showed all is going well. The thing is i've not posted on here for a few weeks and whilst i've been keeping an eye on my food intake, i've not been sticking to the original calories I had set because the information that I could gather suggested not cutting your calories so much when pregnant. I'd been on 1,480 cals and had increased it to 1,660 when I first found out, but I haven't been trying to stay under it, more be aware of how much I go over it.

I still find it hard to go over it too much, without choosing poor foods, I am still a naturally healthy eater, i've cut down on my exercise a little, but still want to do the walking, swimming and possibly the odd gym session, but more for my fitness and not too strenuous.

Has anyone else on MFP been pregnant during their weight loss journey and is there any advise as to the right sort of calories to be aiming for? I'm no longer trying to lose weight as much as I had been, but i'd rather not gain too much during the pregnancy as I still had a way to go before finding out my current situation ;)

Replies

• quietasariot
    quietasariot Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    As far as I've always been told, eat an extra meal a day. Some say an extra 500 calories; my meals are rarely that big but I think it varies for each person. You don't have to eat "for two people" (as I'm sure you know!) but you definitely need to eat more to feed the baby :D. Congratulations on your pregnancy!!
  • Moosical
    Options
    I've never subscribed to the 'eat for two' in all of my pregnancies, whilst i've not done too bad for morning sickness, i've always suffered from smell aversion and my appetite tends to wane, I make sure I eat, but i'm never in a mood for a huge meal.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Your doctor or midwife can give you really good advice on this and I would ask them. Weight is an important risk factor - you need to gain enough for your baby and not too much to put them at risk.

The heavier you start off, the less you need to gain. But nutrition is absolutely essential.

So ASK THEM!

I think pregnancy and nursing afterwards is the easiest time to lose weight in a healthy way.
  • ellybeann
    ellybeann Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    First congratulations, but think you should consult your doctor with these question.
  • jzaz903
    jzaz903 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    you could start by changing MFP to maintain your current weight.
    then i'd ask your doctor what they want you to do. explain that you love exercise and want to be healthy, but want to properly care for your child. i've heard anywhere between 0-500 calories over maintenance.
  • trickettmomma
    Options
    I was not on MFP but did loose weight while pregnant. Infact I did better while pregnant because of wanting to be healthy for the baby. As long as you eat healthy and stay in range you should be good. Your Dr would let you know if it was unhealthy or dangerous. Mine allowed me to continue as long as I ate and made healthy deciscions. It was after that I gained it back again and again!:ohwell:
    I just started 3 days ago and wish I found MFP years ago.
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Ive seen lots of women on here continue to lose weight while pregnant. I believe there is a group for that.

However, I personally dont think its a great idea to continue to agressively attempt to lose weight while pregnant. I have no science to back that up, just my opinion.