You call yourself my friends...

Options
You call yourself my friends. If you are truly my friends, then we care about each other's success and wellbeing. I care about your success and wellbeing. That is why I want to share a thought with you that, above all others, is the reason why I have lost 48 pounds in around 2 months on here. It is not original, but it has changed my life. I hope it changes yours too.

Most of us gained our unwanted weight because we traded what we always wanted-- health and fitness-- for what we want right now.

Every time I am tempted to "cheat," I remember that quote. I printed it out, folded it up and put it in my wallet. I hope it helps you when you are tempted to eat something you know you shouldn't, or to skip or cut short your next session of exercise.

Have a happy rest of your Wednesday.

Replies

• RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Well said, sir! Thanks!
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Most of us gained our unwanted weight because we traded what we always wanted-- health and fitness-- for what we want right now.
    Thank you for that! And it has occurred to me that it doesn't only apply to weight loss. It applies to anything in our lives where our immediate desires work against our long-term goals. Partying instead of studying in school. Sleeping in when we should be working. Spending money we should be saving. It's a hard lesson.
  • lncgurley
    lncgurley Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    LOVE IT, thanks!
  • lepow
    lepow Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thank you! You truly are an inspirational friend!
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options

Love it. Have to remember that when I want to cheat, because I'll only be cheating myself!
  • rudy7020
    Options
    I have lost 36 of the 40 lbs I wanted to lose. I plan on staying here after I'm finished to track my calories and help me maintain. Now I have another reason to hang around, I want to be here to cheer you along and help you celbrate when you reach your goal.
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I love your posts. All of them!
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    So true. I went by a local orchard this afternoon which has really good cider donuts. Almost stopped and got one but then literally thought..its going to taste great right now but I really love how I look and feel and want to continue my progress, so no donut.
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    That's an excellent point. Every time I see something at the store that I think I want, my brain interrupts and reminds me about how good it feels to see the number on the scale, measuring tape, or size tag go down. The "reward" of seeing those numbers go down is greater than the pleasure reward of food.

I'm far from perfect, but I'd say I skip the crap about 95% of the time instead of giving in. I'm so much happier losing weight than I ever was eating a pint of ice cream. Weight loss is permanent; ice cream is a temporary fix that ended up leaving me depressed anyway (since I knew I was fat because of it).
  • pen_thief
    pen_thief Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Immediate gratification is the cause of so many regrets, it's true.
  • SpiritRockBernie
    Options
    nicely said!
  • Kat082
    Kat082 Posts: 13
    Options
    well said!! Thank you!!!
  • MsNewBooty83
    MsNewBooty83 Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    great job!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m2ykhhAA0K1qke924o1_500.png
  • bininj
    bininj Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I say to myself 'I don't really want that because I already know what it tastes like'. It seems to work most of the time.
  • MiniMansell1964
    MiniMansell1964 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    most of us gained weight because the friends we have in real life where too nice and polite to ever actually tell us we where piling on the pounds.
    sometimes it takes a strangers honesty to get us on the road to success.
  • katthouse499
    katthouse499 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I wrote a note to myself 8 years ago and still carry it with me
  • Grey_1
    Grey_1 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Love it, thank you. :)