More food required on lifting days

Options
I lift weights on Monday, Wednesday, and Fridays and cardio on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturdays. And have noticed that on days I weight training I require upwards of 300 more calories than on cardio days. Wondering has anyone else experienced that?

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    MFP is designed like this:

Your Calories + Exercise Calories = Your goal calories

So if you eat 2000 calories, and mark down 300 of exercise, it will give you 2300 as the goal.
  • Jose2828
    Options
    I didn't make it clear but was talking about my physical hunger, not this site calculations.
  • wellbert
    Options
    I didn't make it clear but was talking about my physical hunger, not this site calculations.

You quantify your hunger in number of calories?

Well, yes. It's normal for exercise to make you hungry. High fat/protein diets seem to reduce it for many people.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Normal.
  • flechero
    flechero Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    for what it's worth, I also am less hungry on days I run vs. days I lift. Can't quantify it in calories, but it is a very noticeable difference.
  • wellbert
    Options
    Have thought about it deeply.
    On days I lift, I'm about 2500 calories hungrier. (I say 2500, because I'll hit a 2000 calorie post workout meal and still be hungry.)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Completely normal.

I tend to feel 784 additional calories hungrier.
  • Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    How is it that you're an adult human being who has presumably been alive for decades, and you've never before noticed that doing stuff makes you hungry?
  • maxonehiphop
    maxonehiphop Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I think I experience the same thing but it is actually usually the day after that i'm crazy hungry which is technically on cardio days...but when I'm not lifting it doesn't seem to happen.

I'm waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more hungry when I'm lifting.
    Grappling which is considered cardio even though i'm lifting large men also makes me much hungrier...1000 calories hungrier.
  • Jose2828
    Options
    How is it that you're an adult human being who has presumably been alive for decades, and you've never before noticed that doing stuff makes you hungry?

I have been trying to eat pretty much the same amount in calories daily but what surprise me are the different degrees of hunger on weight lifting vs. cardio days. Hence will have to alter my strategy
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Completely normal.

Odd...must be because you are stacked....I am only 269.7 calories hungrier after my lift days.
  • Jose2828
    Options
    Everyone thanks for the confirmation.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    I do some extra on my gym days but I don't come close to "eating it back." I do swim and weights the same day. 2 mile swim gets my muscles and joints well warmed up. Then a no-rest half hour to 45 minutes of weights and core to keep my heart rate up.
  • Jose2828
    Options
    What precision!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Normal to feel that way. The two calorie calculators I refer to typically have me eat more on exercise days and less on non-exercise days.
  • Jose2828
    Options

Well, yes. It's normal for exercise to make you hungry. High fat/protein diets seem to reduce it for many people.
  • Jose2828
    Options

Quantification based on how many more calories for satisfaction
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Jose,
    I think you confused a lot of people. I too lift weights some days and run others. I can understand what you are saying, and it might be true that lifting leaves you hungrier than running. I get a lot of credit calories for playing tennis, but I definitely feel hungrier after lifitng than I do after tennis.
    It might be due to the fact that lifting supposedly raises your metabolism for a day or so, while cardio does not. I am not usually very hungry right away after exercise. The hunger comes later. That could be that lifting/metabolism effect.
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Completely normal.

Odd...must be because you are stacked....I am only 269.7 calories hungrier after my lift days.

lol, i think his muscle size may have something to do with it.
  • Jose2828
    Options
    Jose,
    I think you confused a lot of people. I too lift weights some days and run others. I can understand what you are saying, and it might be true that lifting leaves you hungrier than running. I get a lot of credit calories for playing tennis, but I definitely feel hungrier after lifitng than I do after tennis.
    It might be due to the fact that lifting supposedly raises your metabolism for a day or so, while cardio does not. I am not usually very hungry right away after exercise. The hunger comes later. That could be that lifting/metabolism effect.

Admittedly I am not a good writer, but had good intentions of validating my perceived degrees of hunger- lifting vs. cardio.