Too much protein?

Options
I've been really loving MFP so far and its only been a few days. Its so easy to keep track of everything on here. One thing I am noticing is that I tend to go over on protein quite often, even when I'm under on everything else. Does anybody know if there is anything bad about getting too much protein? Obviously fats and carbs are not good to go too overboard with, but I really am uneducated on if too much protein is equally bad. Any imput would be appreciated.... :)

Replies

• ebh1024
    ebh1024 Posts: 186
    Options
    Glad you posted this...I have been noticing the same thing too. I know that protein is really good for you, but is going over bad? I hope we can find an answer.
  • Questfor250
    Options
    Too much Protein is NOT a problem. Protein is easily digestible and helps burn fat.
  • spritie
    spritie Posts: 167
    Options
    It depends on both what your protein level is set at, and how much your going over. It can also be linked to your activity status.

If you consume too much protein it can be really bad for your kidneys.

You don't need more than 1.4g protein per kg body weight per day, even when exercising.

Health range for sedentary individuals is 0.8-1g a day.

1.2 - 1.4 for moderate exercise

I've heard of 1.6 for elite level athletes, but haven't seen any scientific evidence to back that up.

Regardless make sure your drinking adequate water to try and take care of your kidneys.

hope that helps.
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    Check out this link from earlier in the day:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/81920-protien
  • freedMan
    Options
    When dieting, it seems this is a common occurence...why?

When dieting we tend to eat foods that provide a better bang for your buck (calorie-wise). Fat is 9 calories per gram and protein/carbs are 4 calories per gram.

Since we avoid the fat if at all possible because it means we can't eat as much, so we eat more protein and carbs!

Since carbs provide your energy, its best to eat those at your noon meal or before. Any later than that, we risk the carbs being stored since we don't need the energy when we sleep and its stored as fat.

So the safest solution is to eat protein! When you go over on protein, pat yourself on the back, because your doing a great job!
  • kiesha82
    Options
    i always go over too, but my trainer tells me that's good. that protein is way healthier than carbs and to ignore when MFP says i've went over. that as long as i'm drinking water i'm ok. and something is working i'm down 17lbs in 6wks and i ALWAYS go over lol. let me know if u get the answer though i would love to know myself
  • ebh1024
    ebh1024 Posts: 186
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies....that helps alot. I may go in and adjust my protein intake too. Thanks for the previous link too!