Exercise for handicapped folks??

Options
13»

Replies

• christchick7
    christchick7 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Hi Jana,

I would echo what everyone else has said about weights...maybe two or three pounds to start. Once you get used
    to that you can build from there. I know you said you're not crazy about cardio, but may I make a suggestion ? Try
    Leslie Sansone's one mile walking programs. I have cerebral palsy and other than a five pound dowel and sit ups
    this is the only program I can do. She has programs from one to five miles and I just recently worked my way up
    to six. I think the one mile, which is 15 minutes, would be enough for you because you're not looking for a big burn.
    It sounds like you just need a gentle walk to maybe help with your circulation. You can try her walks for free at her
    website, or buy through Amazon. I would wish you the best with whatever program you choose!

Sue
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Hi Jana,

. I know you said you're not crazy about cardio,

Sue, I didn't say that. I just can't do any cardio that requires legs. With my knees,. I can barely walk without screaming in pain. Seriously. To go from my office chair to the kitchen wears me out. But thank you for the suggestion. Wish I COULD do it!
  • JanaCanada
    Options

OMG, this gal is great! Thanks, Lostin!
  • jlreser
    jlreser Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    http://www.dumbbell-exercises.com/index.html

Try that site. Its has little pictures of everything, adopt the one you can do seated

Enjoy and best of luck

Thanks for the link! I'm in her same boat with bad knees and have two herniated discs. I hope these help!
  • amandazylstra
    amandazylstra Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I don't have any wonderful exercise advise,I read the posts below and there is some great stuff. I want to comment on your 1 pound weight loss. Go to the fridge, take out a pound of butter. Look at it. REALLY look at it....it is 1 pound of fat. That is tangible, that is how much fat is no longer on your body!! I had a leader in Weight Watchers tell me that years ago, now when I feel like 1 lb isn't an accomplishment, I go to the fridge and look at the butter and feel so much better. It makes it real.
    Exercise is important, but it isn't the most important thing in weight loss. I have had multiple surgeries due to an auto immune disease requiring the removal of several organs. Months of recovery and pain and immobility. I started seeing a Natural-path for all that. When I started talking about losing weight, she told me that it is 85% what you eat, and only 15% exercise. At that time, I changed how I was eating and not how I was moving. The weight came off. Slowly, but off it came. Of course, it went right back on again when I started to eat badly and here I am again!
  • JanaCanada
    Options
    Go to the fridge, take out a pound of butter. Look at it. REALLY look at it....it is 1 pound of fat. That is tangible, that is how much fat is no longer on your body!! I had a leader in Weight Watchers tell me that years ago, now when I feel like 1 lb isn't an accomplishment, I go to the fridge and look at the butter and feel so much better. It makes it real.

Ooooh, that's gooooood. :)
  • Live4More
    Live4More Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I am pretty much in the same situation as you. In fact I am scheduled for knee replacement surgery on October 22nd. I went to see a friend of mine who is a personal trainer and he worked up a routine for me that is zero-impact on my knees. Message me and I'll be happy to share all the details with you.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Did you try it? How did it feel? Could you see it working?
  • TaraMiley
    TaraMiley Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If you have a Y near you (or community pool) look into water aerobics, it's virtually non impact and you get a full body workout.
  • I have seen "chair" workout DVD's at our local library. Also water aerobic classes and non stress and non impact. Plus any
    weight lifting (free weights of nautilis) on all parts that dont use knee will help. I hope that helps.
    Joy:smile:
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Love to know if this person had any luck with it?
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    My husband teaches a tai chi class that is done entirely sitting. Most instructors will let you participate from a chair - the upper body workout and relaxation are great.
  • JanaCanada
    Options
    Love to know if this person had any luck with it?

Yes! I have been doing the "Get Fit While You Sit" video on Youtube by Tiffany Rothe. Excellent! I actually feel a burn afterwards!

I also signed up for water aerobics. Told the instructor I was scared of water, so she put me in with the seniors (which is fine by me, as I am 53 so I'm not too far off!). My first class is next week!

Thanks for all the suggestions, peeps! :flowerforyou: :heart: