AM vs PM workouts

Options
I cannot workout at the end of the day. After a long day of chaos, the last thing I want to do is workout. I'm going to have to make myself get up in the morning and hit the gym.

Do you workout in the AM or PM's?
If you workout in the morning... What motivates you in the morning to get your workout in? How long did it take you to get into a morning routine?

Replies

• summernite72
    Options
    I work out in the mornings, I like it better because I feel I have more energy throughout the day..kind of like a rev up. The alarm goes off at 5:00am, but I just think about wearing a bikini this summer and how good I will feel after my shower.

I do work out sometimes in the evening if I go into work earlier, I don't like it as much because I am all wound up and end up staying up later in the evening than I normally would. But I at least try to get it in after a stressful day. I can take it out on my workout instead of my husband. :)
  • Stephomie
    Stephomie Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I totally agree! The last thing I want to do after working all day and taking care of my family is workout. Plus, it wakes me up, so I'm up way later than I should be. I have been working out at 5 AM for the past 3 years, I just know that it's the only time of day that I can workout, so I have to get up and do it. I know how much better I feel all day long & how much more energy I have when I do workout than when I don't. I am very fortunate to workout with my husband, and a neighbor, every morning, so we all are accountable to each other. We know that someone will be coming over for a workout, so we have to get out of bed to open the door for him! LOL! But it's true, if you can find an AM workout buddy, it really helps get you motivated. I am trying to get to bed earlier so I can be more rested when I get up to workout, but that doesn't always work for me. Good Luck!
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I orkout in the mornings. It's still hard for me but it's the only time I get to go to the gym so I take it. It's my break from the kids and my 'me' time so I just do it.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I work out whenever I can. I prefer the morning but I will get it done in the afternoon or evening because I feel like a fatty if I don't do it.
  • skaal006
    Options
    I prefer to work out in the mornings because then you can move on with the rest of your day. Just think of working out early in the morning this way.....I was taking a cycle class at 6:30am and the instructor said "I heard my alarm go off this morning and didn't want tget out of bed, but I've never regretted an early morning workout!" This is so true because it feels so good once you are done with your workout early in the morning! This thought helps me to get up early, even when I don't want to.
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    I do both. It depends. I like a couple classes at the gym which are from 7-8pm. I will do my runs in the morning though. I like working out in the morning because it gives me energy throughout the day. At night helps me relieve stress from the day. However, by working out at night - I am wide awake for a lot longer than I would like to be.
  • soxinsc
    Options
    I've never been much of a morning person but I've been trying the past few days to at least spend 15-20 minutes with the Wii Fit in the morning. If I'm going to do anything more significant (i.e. going for a long walk or hike) I'll either do that on the weekend (when I don't have to go to work) or in the evening.

I've heard it said you boost your metabolism by working out in the morning. I've also heard it said working out in the evening helps bleed off the stress of the day. I don't think the timing of it is nearly as important as the fact you're doing it.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I hate mornings because I normally get a burst of energy around 9pm and keeps me up late. :yawn: But I prefer to workout in the mornings, because as most have already mentioned, I get it done and out of the way and it makes me feel better during the day. That and with the job I have I get so busy in the afternoons I can't get it in or am too mentally exhausted to do anything afterwards. Some days it's even a chore to cook dinner!

I also look at it this way: if I work out in the morning, then there's no doubt in my mind how many calories I have to work with for the day and I can portion/plan my meals better, so it's a win/win :happy:
  • fozzy33
    Options
    My schedule is very strange..I prefer to workout in the morning/early afternoon but unfortunately it does not work out that way sometimes.

I just try and get it in when I can LOL
  • ScarletTarah
    ScarletTarah Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm a morning girl it is easy for me since I have to take my son to school, then I go straight to the gym.
    The wierd thing is I don't need an alarm clock anymore ( not that i'm foolish enough to go without one) I wake up around 5:45 am and thats very new to me, before the gym I was waking up around 8 am forced awake by the alarm, but I seem to have so much energy now.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Since I work nights, I work out in the late morning...that way helps keep me on track because I don't want to eat a ton of junk and undo all the work I just did.
  • jclguru
    jclguru Posts: 123
    Options
    I work midnites. So I work out right after work. When my shift ends, I'm dead tired, but working
    out always wakes me up. I'll work out for about 60 to 90 minutes, get about 3 hours of
    sleep and work out for about another 30 to 60 minutes at home in the early afternoon.

Doug
  • hdelamore
    hdelamore Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    i work out whenever i have free time
    if its gym i go after college, as i dont have time to in the morning
    if i'm doing a fitess dvd i tend to do it in the morning :)