So...when you're sore...

Options
How do you go about relieving the pain?

I did squats yesterday in the squat rack (just a bar, no extra weight) and I'm wearing heels today...I'm walking funny and getting out of my chair/car is miserable!

I probably should have eased back into my lifting, but whatever, what's done is done. Best way to feel better so I can go back to the gym tomorrow walking normally (or as close to it as possible)?

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Do more
    Compression
    Ice
    And... Climber's Candy or vitamin I

Mostly nothing but time works for DOMS
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    lots of water, epsom salt bath . . . but really just go back in and add 5 lbs. to the bar every time. 5x5. keep at it!
  • tri10806
    tri10806 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I would ride a stationary bike or something easy. Just get the blood flowing, loosen up the muscles, and flush out the lactic acid. A lot of times after a long run or race I'll go out the next day and run an easy 2-3 miles or bike around the neighborhood. It really seems to speed my recovery.
  • tattedchic
    tattedchic Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I take BCAA supplement for muscle recovery post workout, it's great really helps eliminate soreness.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    First, make sure it's soreness. If it's sharp very localized pain, especially around the joints, STOP and get some more expert input. But soreness over a large area is a sign that you have worked your muscles beautifully, and now you owe them the tools they need to make the most of your efforts.

Tons and tons of water. Help your body flush the lactic acid out.

Good high-protein meals for a day or two. No, it won't help with the soreness, but it'll give your body the tools to turn that exercise into muscular improvements!

Perform the same exercises at a much lower intensity level for a day or two. This will help keep the muscles from stiffening up, and also help the body circulate blood into the muscles, delivering the water and nutrients needed to heal and build up the muscle.

Then, once they feel better, HIT THEM AGAIN. You'll find that the same intensity that caused the original soreness is your new "minimum", and you'll need (and want) to push it all the harder next time. Lather, rinse, repeat, and you'll be waltzing up mountains with a 50-pound pack like you currently climb a flight of stairs.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Well you know it's really bad if you have to brace yourself to sit down on the toilet :blushing: Having been there I either do a rest compression ice and possible aleve recovery or I have found the better choice is to get some cardio in to help warm up the muscles, I usually do a spin class or go for a short run and then take time to really stretch after. Or do some yoga :wink:
  • jennieodwyer
    jennieodwyer Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I guess I am old school. Advil and ice :laugh:
  • nphect
    nphect Posts: 474
    Options
    rest and protein
  • WeekndOVOXO
    WeekndOVOXO Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Supplements.

Oh I also advise you to look up "Self Myo-Fascial Release" fancy way of saying foam rolling. Increases recovery, range of motion, and correcting muscle imbalances
  • BRenkwell
    BRenkwell Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Well you know it's really bad if you have to brace yourself to sit down on the toilet :blushing: Having been there I either do a rest compression ice and possible aleve recovery or I have found the better choice is to get some cardio in to help warm up the muscles, I usually do a spin class or go for a short run and then take time to really stretch after. Or do some yoga :wink:

HA! I am, in fact, at the point where I'm bracing myself in the bathroom...my husband laughed his *kitten* off at me this morning! It's such a beautiful thing.

This isn't a localized pain, definitely just my quads revolting against my exercise yesterday. Looks like ill be stopping at the store for some aleve and Epsom salt and chug some h2o...I can always appreciate a good bath. Maybe I can even con my husband into giving me a massage.

Thanks y'all!
  • rjbalcer
    Options
    Keep moving and take Advil or Aleve if you can't stand it.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others. Water and working them again. I like heat also. Some people seem to have a problem with that but soaking in a hot bath or heat pad relieves the soreness for me.

Other than that it is just getting used to it. I have had some soreness in at least some of my muscles for over a year now. : ) Gotta keep pushing outside the comfort zone. :happy:
  • kmorganlfc
    kmorganlfc Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    It gets worse as you get older.
    For you, these are the good times.
    So sit back and enjoy.
    :tongue:
  • mariesa00
    mariesa00 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    -Epsom Salt bath.
    -Grapeseed Extract is known to help with soreness.
    -Myofascial release with foam roller.

These have helped me!

Make sure you stretch for at least 15 seconds (each muscle group) after working out.
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    drink tons of water. go for a walk. gotta get the acid moving. marathon runners often run a 10k the next day just for this reason.