an odd question about GPS watches/pedometers etc.

Options
This is very off topic, so I apologize but I couldn't think of a better place to ask this question. My dad wants to use my Garmin Forerunner 205 for when he goes deer hunting. The reason he wants to use it is because he wants to be able to keep track of how far he goes into the woods, when to turn, etc. Is my Garmin the best tool for this? Is there another watch or even a phone app that would better suit this purpose? He wants to be able to walk in and say, ok when I get to .24 miles, I head west and then when I .36 head north, or whatever. I think the Garmin would work fine for this? any ideas? And thanks, I know this has nothing to do with fitness/weight loss, but I know so many of you use a variety of these watches!

Replies

• kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    there a lot of smart phone apps that could probably accomplish the same thing. I use RunKeeper to GPS my runs, and so far it's been very accurate. It even tracks elevation gain.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    He probably can but it's not the best tool for the job. Most of them don't display a compass heading. At best they will have a very rudimentary ability to navigate simply because of their tiny screens. A hand-held GPS is purpose-built for that sort of thing and will allow following headings, marking waypoints, back-navigating, following terrain, etc...
  • tressatnt
    Options
    He probably can but it's not the best tool for the job. Most of them don't display a compass heading. At best they will have a very rudimentary ability to navigate simply because of their tiny screens. A hand-held GPS is purpose-built for that sort of thing and will allow following headings, marking waypoints, back-navigating, following terrain, etc...

Yeah he looked at those but didn't like them. He's very finicky when it comes to techie stuff and he gets frustrated easily! LOL
  • Melolicious
    Melolicious Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Check out runwalkjog.com, it has an app too and I love it!
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    If he doesn't like that, then trying to navigate with a running GPS will drive him totally bonkers. The only way he might be able to do it is if he uses a compass for direction and just uses the watch for distance measurement.
  • nphect
    nphect Posts: 474
    Options

Yeah he looked at those but didn't like them. He's very finicky when it comes to techie stuff and he gets frustrated easily! LOL

maybe he just doesn't want to bring a gps mapping device with him , maybe he just wants to do it "oldschool".