Dizziness when working out

Options
DISCLAIMER: I am not asking for medical advice - just wondering if others have experience with this and/or have found the cause for it when they experienced it.

So... Ten minutes into my workout last night (30 Day Shred, Level 1, in case you're curious) my legs went heavy and I just got very dizzy. (Heavy, as in, I simply couldn't move them. It was bizarre). I stopped the workout and grabbed some water but it took some time before the legs could move and the head stopped spinning.

Anyone ever experience this? Have any idea what the cause would be?

Edited to Add: I feel like I should add that my normal workouts consist of hour long cardio sessions and I've done 30DS before (all 30 days) without ever experiencing this. So it's a new thing and a weird thing.

Replies

• jstandfield
    jstandfield Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I get dizzy or light headed when I do heavy lifting like squats or deadlifts and only when it's really heavy, almost to my max. In that case it means the body is really exerting itself. There is nothing you can do about that, Some exersises that require bending over and raising up quickly can do the same thing, In that case I focus my vision on one point on the wall through the entire movement and it doesnt happen.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I sometimes experience this when I forget to have a snack before my workout or I haven't been keeping up with my water intake that day. It doesn't happen to me very often, but it's almost always that I'm either hungry of thirsty and my body simply doesn't have what it needs to meet my demands.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I sometimes experience this when I forget to have a snack before my workout or I haven't been keeping up with my water intake that day. It doesn't happen to me very often, but it's almost always that I'm either hungry of thirsty and my body simply doesn't have what it needs to meet my demands.

I was thinking it might be this... the nights I have had the hardest time with a run are the days I haven't been diligent in water intake and/or calories.

And jstandfield - in my experience muscle fatigue feels a bit different from what this was... But I'll keep this in mind! No more quick rising for me!
  • mearlie
    mearlie Posts: 224
    Options
    That's similar to what happens to me when my blood pressure drops. I have that problem when I let myself go too long without food.
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Happens to me sometimes. Usually it's dehydration, sugar dropping, or my thyroid going nuts.
  • mearlie
    mearlie Posts: 224
    Options
    Happens to me sometimes. Usually it's dehydration, sugar dropping, or my thyroid going nuts.

yes, I think my blood pressure issues are due to hypothyroidism.
  • Cathleenr
    Cathleenr Posts: 332
    Options
    It can be a couple of relatively minor things. This happens to me all the time when I have a weighted bar on my shoulders, like for squats or in a standing press. The weight is pressing on the lymphs and vessels that run in the neck, restricting flow of various fluids. I stop, let it pass and carry on. I have never actually passed out.
    Another cause is PAD, or peripheral artery disease and that CAN be serious. It's basically the inability of the valves in the lower extremities to close properly after each heartbeat so that volume is maintained. When there is less blood in the head, you get dizzy. That may also account for the feeling of weakness/heaviness in your legs. You can get an ultrasound mapping of the bloodflow from a vascular surgeon who specializes in varocose vein treatment...thats how I was able to see how poorly my blood was circulating in my legs. I had a procedure and I feel much better now.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    It happens to me, I have found a few solutions. One I usually did not eat or hydrate well that day and a GU packet and some water seem to revive me, I'm guessing from what I have read it is most likely due to starting intense exercise and blood sugar levels drop too quickly. Just about 100 calories with water or gatorade helps.

Second, I have allergies and if my sinuses are inflammed my ears get inflammed too and cause some dizziness, not usually any weakness issues like above. I try to avoid medications like benadryl and other allergy meds that have any drowsy side effects and try to stick to more natural remedies if possible.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Great advice guys! Thanks to everyone for the input.
  • kramalicious
    Options
    It happened to me the first day of my workout when I tried running stairs . So, now I make sure to stay hydrated, (start drinking lots of water two hours before you workout) eat lots of protein at least an hour before. I still get that way every now and then after extreme exertion. The main thing is realizing when it is approaching and just take a break- drink water, catch your breath. Stopping for a minute won't kill you, better to be able to continue working out than to max yourself out so you can't do anything and strain yourself.
  • Kathleeni1
    Options
    To:
    penrbrown:

This happened to me on my first day of workout. My trainer told me that it is due to dehydration!!! Drink more water...BEFORE...DURING...and AFTER your workouts.
    I have and I'm no longer dizzy.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Likely low blood sugar. Try eating a banana thirty minutes prior to workout and see if it helps.
  • Shrelana
    Shrelana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Think back to what you ate before working out...this happens to me occasionally...and it's always if I don't eat enough before working out...could be your body just didn't have enough fuel for your workout - even though you are used to doing this workout.