Weight lose Wednesday Questions

Options
Weight Lose Wednesday Questions...

I have been there and done that sort of speak. I lost 50 pounds and have worked my butt to keep the weight off. I know what it takes and know that it is NOT easy. So I want to give back.. help out as much as I can. I am currently on my way to getting my NASM personal training cert! So the questions will not only help me in my future job but will help you :) So get them coming and I will do my best to answer all of them after I get home from work tonight! :)

Replies

• missionPossibleIcan
    Options
    No questions?
  • rko78621
    rko78621 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Ok, I have a question. I try to go to the gym at least 3 days a week but not sure my workout routine is a good one or not. Here is what I do:

Treadmill for 30 minutes
    2 reps on 3 machines that are for the upper body
    2 reps on 3 machines that are for the lower body
    Bike for 15 minutes

My total time is about 45 mins to an hour.

Any suggestions on changes or tips will be appreciated.

Thank you,
    Rhonda
  • missionPossibleIcan
    Options
    Ok, I have a question. I try to go to the gym at least 3 days a week but not sure my workout routine is a good one or not. Here is what I do:

Treadmill for 30 minutes
    2 reps on 3 machines that are for the upper body
    2 reps on 3 machines that are for the lower body
    Bike for 15 minutes

My total time is about 45 mins to an hour.

Any suggestions on changes or tips will be appreciated.

Thank you,
    Rhonda

Rhonda,
    I am not sure how fast you go on treadmill or on the bike but I would change it up a bit. I am sure you probably do a certain speed the whole time? If you are walking at let's say 3.5... try walking at 3.5 for (2 minutes) then maybe 4.5 for (1 minute), then back to 3.5 for (2 minutes).....YOU can do any kind of variety even add an incline with the speed for a better workout. You want to keep the body thinking and tricking the mind that the workout is not so boring. Interval training is a GREAT way to keep the heart rate elevated and keep the calorie burn up high! Do the same thing for the bike! :)

2 reps of what?? 10? 15? I would do 3 sets of 10 reps and lift a little heavier than you think is normal. I honestly think it is best to do upper one day and lower one day....but if you do this every other day it should be fine!
  • ohheyy125
    ohheyy125 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I have always had larger, muscular calves. They are pretty darn big...15 inches and pretty firm. Definitely more firm and fit than my thighs. How can I slim/tone my thighs without bulking my calves more? I've read low intensity for longer periods instead of high intensity for shorter periods. is this true?
  • cherikasalzmann
    Options
    Hi there,

I have lost about 30lbs (25 since on MFP) in 6 months but Im not seeing any improvement in my belly! My pants are getting looser and things are fitting better but I have what looks like a beer belly, not attractive for a female. What can I do?
    Also, I have stalled. I've been up and down the same pound for the last two weeks, and I'm not sure why - my diary is open.
    I had to take a week off from working out due to an injury but I reduced my calories.....
    I take Zumba 4 to 7 nights a week, R.I.P.P.E.D 2x a week and walk the dogs about 5-7 miles a week.....I tried to change it up by adding a cross fit class but my back can not handle it.

Thank you in advance for your imput!
  • missionPossibleIcan
    Options
    I have always had larger, muscular calves. They are pretty darn big...15 inches and pretty firm. Definitely more firm and fit than my thighs. How can I slim/tone my thighs without bulking my calves more? I've read low intensity for longer periods instead of high intensity for shorter periods. is this true?

Girl I am right there with you on the large calves...god blessed me with 15 inches too. I don't even think about my calves.. I just kill my workouts and it all workouts. I have done insanity which is INTENSITY, ran a marathon, weight training...etc My measurements NEVER change in my calves but maybe .25 of an inch. So do the workouts that you think will help you slim the thighs the calves will just get stronger not bigger. Women don't have the hormones as men.

Did that help?
  • missionPossibleIcan
    Options
    Hi there,

I have lost about 30lbs (25 since on MFP) in 6 months but Im not seeing any improvement in my belly! My pants are getting looser and things are fitting better but I have what looks like a beer belly, not attractive for a female. What can I do?
    Also, I have stalled. I've been up and down the same pound for the last two weeks, and I'm not sure why - my diary is open.
    I had to take a week off from working out due to an injury but I reduced my calories.....
    I take Zumba 4 to 7 nights a week, R.I.P.P.E.D 2x a week and walk the dogs about 5-7 miles a week.....I tried to change it up by adding a cross fit class but my back can not handle it.

Thank you in advance for your imput!

I am going to guess you are a MOM? Sometimes the waist line will never go back the way it was :( Take a rubber band for instance...if you keep stretching it out and pulling on it...it sometimes will get smaller but it will never go all the way back. Same holds true with bodies of some mommies.

I would continue to do HARD cardio! When walking the dogs really push it. You have to get your heart rate up to a certain level to be in the fat burning category.
  • ohheyy125
    ohheyy125 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    It did. I'm starting to accept them more. But so far I've noticed these things help:

treadmill 3.5 and 5.0 with no incline is helping as long as I don't land on my toes (landing on the toes definately works my calves)
    Stationary bike low intensity for long periods
    the leg machine that works the inner thighs (where you open and close your legs) (again, less weight, more reps)
    and the leg machine that works the back of the leg

Just started at the gym last week though! learning every day!
  • missionPossibleIcan
    Options
    It did. I'm starting to accept them more. But so far I've noticed these things help:

treadmill 3.5 and 5.0 with no incline is helping as long as I don't land on my toes (landing on the toes definately works my calves)
    Stationary bike low intensity for long periods
    the leg machine that works the inner thighs (where you open and close your legs) (again, less weight, more reps)
    and the leg machine that works the back of the leg

Just started at the gym last week though! learning every day!

If I were you don't focus on the calves at all! Just work it like you should... the rest will fall into place :) Maybe even smaller calves! So you can get into knee high boots!