adding protien without fat or carbs?

I've been tracking for a very short period of time and have found that I can't get the right ratio. I'm not getting near enough protein and going over in both fat and carbs. How can I add significant protein without increasing either of the others tremendously? Are there those that are willing to share their food journals so I can see how they eat? So far, I've been trying to eat lots of chicken and fish. I have a Shakeology shake (dh uses the stuff but doesn't drink shakes all the time so I drink his) with added protein powder. I know I need to add more fresh fruit and veggies but I am working on that. I've tried adding some light cheese and a fruit as a snack. I'm just so new to this and don't know how to really increase the protein.
Thanks

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    0% greek yogurt with a scoop of whey.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,010 Member
    chicken
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    the 0% fat greek yoghurt... protein powder... egg whites...
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 627 Member
    Lots of protein shakes that have minimal (1-2g) carbs.
  • rainlover711
    rainlover711 Posts: 74 Member
    you can look at my diary, I think it's open.
    started about a month ago on low carb, high protein.
    I don't always meet the goals, but it's getting better
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Egg whites (hard boiled eggs for on-the-go)
    Cottage cheese
    Greek yogurt

Feel free to look around my diary for ideas...
  • fish
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    I'm not on a low carb diet .... but those percents went down when I start focusing more on protein. Fats are not the enemy (my downfall) my diet could use more healthy fats too (nuts, nut butters, olive oil, avacado) ....increase these numbers & carb % will go down.

I have carbs for breakfast .... but add protien. Oatmeal made with milk and/or protein powder

Greek yogurt .... I add berries, nuts & high fiber cereal

Cottage cheese is a good option.... there arelots of recipes that use it
  • trixiemou
    trixiemou Posts: 554 Member
    Hi, I still find it very hard to keep my protein levels up as I eat very little meat. I even had to go out and buy a stock of tinned tuna as that was just about the easiest way to give it a significant increase. Oh and peanut butter, which I was not a fan of, almost a jar later I am getting better. Walnuts, almonds are another source which are lovely added to the greek natural yoghurt and fruit. Any of these, even in small amounts give an increase in protein. eating these naturally throughout the day may decrease your carbs and fat a little but most of them contain carbs and fat so it is a matter of playing around with your quantities.

My diary is open but am not sure how it would actually look to the outside world. Hope it helps
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Change your macros?
  • MacInCali
    MacInCali Posts: 1,012 Member
    Chicken and turkey ... try for the real breast, not luncheon meats (because of sodium).
    Non-fat plain greek yogurt and add your own berries to it.
    Cottage Cheese
    Egg whites
    Cheese (low-fat if you're trying to limit that macro)
    Beans

I manage anywhere from 140g-160g of protein a day without the use of protein shakes or powders. My diary is open if you'd like to take a look.
  • Love2lift72
    Love2lift72 Posts: 157 Member
    Thanks everyone. Did you find it took some time to get to this point?
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Lean meat such as chicken
    Protein powder (watch the carbs)
    Morningstar/Boca/Quorn products
    Lowfat cheese
  • justdoit52
    justdoit52 Posts: 24 Member
    I would try using protein powder.. i use proteins+, its a natural vanilla one and it has 25.0 g of protein with only 1.8g carbs and 0.2g fat!
  • I have to work at it too. Try egg white omelets (4 whites to one whole egg) , low carb protein shakes, cook lots of chicken breasts on the weekend and add those in to everything- even frozen dinners. I buy frozen tilapia filets and study how to cook fish so it's tasty.