Headaches relating to working out?

Options
Hey all,

I haven't worked out in a long while, but for the last week or so I've been pushing myself pretty hard with cardio and strength training. It seems like ever since I started working out I've been getting horrible headaches! I'm assuming they're related since they only started happening when I was working out. Anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing them? Or had this problem and what did you do?

Replies

• Caz_P
    Caz_P Posts: 5
    Options
    Are you getting them after you finish, or during your workout? :O
  • Caz_P
    Caz_P Posts: 5
    Options

I used to get them awhile after finishing. Turns out I wasn't drink enough water!
  • laylaness
    laylaness Posts: 262 Member
    Options

I used to get them awhile after finishing. Turns out I wasn't drink enough water!

I was just going to say it's probably dehydration.
  • justdoit52
    justdoit52 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    It's not during my workout, it's normally after. I drink a fair amount of water, but maybe should start drinking more since I'm working out harder now, i'll give that a try and see if it helps
  • ThereseIShere
    ThereseIShere Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing and finally figured it out! I had migraine aura's with it. It could be a lot of things, but mine was because of a loss of electrolytes (specifically magnesium) from sweating. Once I supplemented with a Mineral supplement, they went away!

http://www.ultimateliving.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=0&idproduct=4
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    More water can help. There are reasons why you get headaches after working out, usually due to trying to do too much too soon or really long strenuous workouts. I used to get them when I first started running and I would push through intervals pretty hard, at least they were hard at the time!

If the headache is throbbing, occurs during and just after exercise and affects both sides of your head you have just pushed yourself.
    If you have all of those symptoms AND you throw up, black out, have trouble with your vision or your neck gets stiff you should go see a doctor right away.

I am not a medical professional so listen to your body and see a doctor if you need too sooner!

What worked for me was to make sure to have some gatorade or a GU packet if my workout went longer than about 45 minutes or I knew I was going to be working particularly hard.
  • Dianna00001
    Options
    First u need to see your DOCTOR!!!!!!! Then with any exercise u should start slow and build yourself up as not to get burned out and make sure u drinking water!!!!!!! An maybe have a banana or protein bar before exercise! Let us know how it goes!!!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • justdoit52
    justdoit52 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    If the headache is throbbing, occurs during and just after exercise and affects both sides of your head you have just pushed yourself.

This is almost exactly what it is except for it occurs just after not during.

I think I will try to really up my water intake and if that doesn't work in a couple days then maybe go see a doctor. Thank you all for your advice :)