How much dairy is too much?

Options
So many people are going dairy free these days. I understand why, and wish I could do so myself.

I have half cup of greek yogurt, half cup of kefir, maybe some cheese, maybe a glass of milk. If I need more protein that day, I have more yogurt or kefir. This seems like a lot of dairy for only 1200-1400 calories a day. But being vegetarian it's one of my main sources of protein along with black beans, tuna, and eggs...

I'm curious to hear what you guys think of dairy, and if this is too much.

Replies

• frank513
    frank513 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    isnt tuna or eggs considered meat?
  • frank513
    Options
    to answer your question though. there is no too much. as long as it fits your calories, fats, protein and carb requirements
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Never too much IMO. Almost all of my protein comes from egg and dairy. I plan on eating my own body weight in feta and halloumi soon.
  • becki101_4
    becki101_4 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Be thankful that you can eat dairy. There are lots of us that can't. It's a great source of protein and calcium, so I say go for it. It's not like you're pounding back a 4L of milk every day.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    Options
    isnt tuna or eggs considered meat?

Tuna is. Eggs aren't.

Vegans don't eat eggs. Fish eaters are pescatarians (which is what I am).
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Don't know how much is good for you, for me it's probably half my daily food eaten. Play around with it and see what works. :)
  • LizCO2DC
    LizCO2DC Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I don't have a strong opinion one way or another about whether dairy is good or bad, but if you do eat that much dairy I HIGHLY recommend going organic. Animals are given so many antibiotics and hormones, most of which go directly into their milk. That way you can still get a lot of your protein without the bad additives.

You could also cut down on dairy a bit and try protein-rich nuts and veggies. I eat a lot of sunflower seeds, which are great for munching. Kale and spinach also is a great source or protein. I tend to add a big handful to my smoothies to make sure I'm getting enough.

I hope that helps!
  • nonentity018
    Options
    If you're a vegetarian how do you justify eating dairy at all? Dairy animals suffer just as much if not more than beef cows.
  • letjog
    letjog Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    i love dairy and have had a terrible day - eaten 500g of that 0%fat greek yoghurt! the belly aches have started....
  • frank513
    Options
    If you're a vegetarian how do you justify eating dairy at all? Dairy animals suffer just as much if not more than beef cows.

andthe rabbits,gophers and small animals the harvester run over and splatter dont suffer either!
  • shelbyfrootcake
    Options

People are veggie for numerous reasons. I don't eat meat, that doesn't mean I give a crap about animals.
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Not all vegetarians are so because of moral/ethical justifications. Personally, I became a vegetarian because I hate the taste of all meat products. I recently decided to try being vegan, but before that I ate eggs and dairy products.
  • squirmmonster
    squirmmonster Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I agree with what's been said about going organic if you eat a lot of dairy. Although I don't think one to two cups is "a lot". If you exceed two cups worth of dairy products a day, then I might worry about it. Just because it makes up a lot of your daily calories doesn't mean you're eating a lot of it.

Ia, Ia, cthulhu vetagan!
  • Kanlassak
    Kanlassak Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I think too much dairy might be that challenge where you try to drink a gallon of milk in one go.

If you're eating enough other things to get the nutrients not in dairy, and you don't have any problems digesting it, you're fine.