Is it bad to count....

Options
My constant walking around work as "cardio"? Lol. I put it as the lowest one I found(2.5 mph leisurely pace) and I do not count every hour I work. I literally do go back and forth all day around the store doing this or that. I still go to the gym most days and log that!!

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    it's only a bad idea if you're trying to lose weight.
  • reelyjn
    reelyjn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Good or bad or indifferent, I include it.

Just to show I was active during the day, but like you, I put in the lowest possible. I don't have a job where I sit on my butt for eight hours. But I am not a construction worker either. lol. I don't put eight hours of walking. I clock the time I really am up moving around. I may take off a few minutes if I stand there chatting though.

However, I am trying to lose weight, so I don't hold much significance to it. The exercise I truly count is when I put some real effort into it.
  • Lisamb757
    Lisamb757 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm just trying to maintain now :) if I lose some that's fine, but. If not that's fine too.
  • knwitall
    knwitall Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't. It's part of a daily routine. I only count things that i do that are extra. :)
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I work in the city and walk approx 4 to 5 miles day with all the walking back and forth from the train station ect. I don't log it as your body is always burning calories, sitting, standing, sleeping it's just part of your TDEE. I only log my workouts.
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I only count what I call "exercising on purpose."
    :happy:
  • aussiemegs82
    Options
    This may sound silly but my motto is "If I can sing doing it, its not exercise". So basically, hard core work outs are the only things I log.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Count it...and then in a few weeks/months, see if you're happy with where you are. If so, carry on...if not, do something different.

Don't count it...and then in a few weeks/months, see if you're happy with where you are. If so, carry on...if not, do something different.

This isn't rocket science.
  • gmichaelguy
    gmichaelguy Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Get a fitbit and let it count your walking for you.
  • Lisamb757
    Lisamb757 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I want a fitbit! I used a pedometer a few times and In a 7-8 hr shift average 11k steps!
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    This should already be included in your "activity level" that you set...
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I think in the beginning where you're setting up your program and it asks questions about how sedentary you are - that's the place to count it.

I'm sedentary (desk job) so when I spent an hour walking around a store grocery shopping yesterday, I counted it as leisure walking.
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit and it does the counting for me. I don't think logging your work is a good idea. You should say you are active if you walk a lot at work and then go from there.
  • sariannach
    Options
    Definitely seconding a Fitbit or at least a pedometer. If you want to count your walking--it has to account for above-BMR calorie burn.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    count it if you don't take it into account for your activity level, if you do, then don't count it.
  • Inebriated
    Options
    I wouldn't count it but that's just me. I walk around a lot (and at a very fast pace 90% of the time) but I don't log it since I consider it something that's just a part of my normal routine. You could be overestimating your burn if you're logging it unless you have a fitbit or something of the sort.
  • bsharrah
    bsharrah Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is bad. You only give yourself another excuse not to do real exercise. Too many people patting themselves on the back for mediocrity already.
  • desiv2
    desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I don't count it, I chalk it up to being lightly active/moderately active.
  • lveh8lve
    lveh8lve Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Definately Fitbit it. Thats exactly what it will do for you!!! I do log my gym workouts differently though.
  • AmandaTWaH
    AmandaTWaH Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    That is what my FitBit is for, but if your activity level is set to "sedentary" than there is nothing wrong with logging it. If you are set to "lightly active" you probably don't want to.

FitBit recently released the Zip, a cheaper version of the FitBit that is pretty awesome if you want to more accurately track your activity level!