Do I really have to eat ALL my calories??

Options
My suggested calorie intake from my nutritionist is 1800 daily, but since I've started MFP, I've only really eat about 1500-1700 calories a day because I'm not hungry.

For weight loss, do I really have to eat them all, or eating less a good thing?

Any insights?

Replies

• SashThompson
    SashThompson Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    It's definitely a personal thing, MFP and nutritionists can only offer a guide of what they think will help you towards your weight loss, if only eating 1500-1700 calories a day is working for you and your losing weight healthily then I'd stick to it.
  • anie8989
    anie8989 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    That makes sense. I've been tracking everything for the past month, and I have only lost 3lbs, but I have MFP set up to lost 1.5lbs a week, and I am lucky to even lost 1lb.

I am trying to lose atleast 1.5lbs a week, but I don't get hungry after I've eaten about 1600 calories... And as for eating back my exercise calories, that doesn't make sense to me because the point to work out is to lost calories... But I also understand you have to eat calories for your body to have fuel...

I never thought that weight lose would be this difficult and so complex... I am just getting irritated I suppose..

About 8 years go when I was bout 15 years old I weight about 170-180, and lost about 20-30lbs just like that and it was awesome, but I didn't eat barely anything, and I know that was bad, but since then I've gained much more back, and I just can't wrap my finger around what I really should be doing.
  • AmandaTWaH
    AmandaTWaH Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    A note about exercise calories... think of it this way.

If you have MFP set for you to lose 1 pound per week, your calorie goal is already 500 under what your body burns each day. Exercise is adding to that to make a BIGGER deficit. This isn't a bad thing, but you don't want too big of a deficit. If your deficit is very far over 1000, meaning you burn an extra 250 calories on a 1.5 pound per week plan, you may want to eat back at least part of your exercise calories.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Why not ask the nutritionist. They are probably privy to more details about your personal situation.
  • murphette2
    murphette2 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thanks Amanda! Makes sense. I was unclear on this also.
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    I always eat back 1/2 - all of my exercise calories.. depends on my hunger.

You should listen to your nutrionist ; but 1,650-1,700 is close enough to 1,800...so if somedays you are 100-200 less... don't sweat it.

The more you weigh, the more your body burns in rest. The nutrionist is calculating right; you might slow weight loss if you have too large of a deficit.
  • dsmpunk
    dsmpunk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I hardly ever eat all of my calories. I see it more as a ceiling than anything. That said, I do try to come somewhat close to it.

Just don't go over your allotted amount and eat until you are full.
  • deltalbarbie
    Options
    BUMP
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    if ur truely not hungry and you are trying to shed body fat... then the answer is simply no you dont eat.
  • ohheyy125
    ohheyy125 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Try 1400-1500
  • krisalexine
    krisalexine Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Disclaimer: this is just what works for me. I know people will have mixed opinions about it, but if you do, message me. I'd like to stay focused on the OP's question.

I never log my exercise. With that said, I guess I don't eat back any of the "exercise calories". It's been working for me.

If you're main goal is to lose WEIGHT, then no, you don't need to eat all your calories. However, if you eat too little calories, your body will cling onto fat for survival and drop muscle first. So the number on the scale will go down, but your body fat percentage could go up.