breastfeeding and weightloss

Options
Any thoughts?

Replies

• billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    if you fit breast milk into your weight loss goals you can drink it an lose weight.

or on the other end. I believe you add 300 calories into your daily intake.
  • sh4690
    sh4690 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Scientifically proven it helps you lose weight and tightens your stomach muscles due to the hormones released.

Not a magical cure, but it is beneficial!

Entirely personal choice though!

x
  • asprague917
    Options
    yeahhh....didnt lose at all..i was able to maintain a weight but i didnt lose anything. definitely dont count it as a sure way to lose anything
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose anything while breast-feeding that I can remember. I also could not eat anything I wanted without gaining weight like some people claimed. I felt cheated!
  • LK115
    LK115 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Been through this 3 times..Totally doable! You just need to be putting good foods (veggies, fruits, and proteins) in your body. Drink LOTS when I didn't eat or drink well I wouldn't have much milk. As long as your eating and drinking it's all good and even healthier for your little one! I always was told that breastfeeding alone will make you lose weight. Well, it didn't for me until I changed what I was putting in my mouth. As far as excercise just get down in the floor and play with your baby, go for walks with a stroller...Being a mom is exercise in itself. I wouldn't push to much on excercise unless your needing to to a set or two of situps a day to get the belly down.
  • thr33martins
    thr33martins Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose anything while breast-feeding that I can remember. I also could not eat anything I wanted without gaining weight like some people claimed. I felt cheated!

Me too, I'm afraid. Every time I tried to cut back my calories my milk supply dropped dramatically. I just decided to be plump for a year and took it off as soon as I weaned. With my second baby, I only nursed for 6 months, so I was able to start losing sooner, but never while nursing.
  • abirkel
    abirkel Posts: 60
    Options
    I lost consistently while my sons were exclusively nursing. As they ate more and more solids, though, I felt like I didn't lose as much.

Just make sure you're eating enough to maintain your milk supply, drink lots of water, exercise, get enough rest (LOL yeah right??)...and most importantly ENJOY nursing your baby. I miss those days....mostly. :)
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    As long as I eat enough, no problems losing while breastfeeding. With my first, and the first 4 months with my second, I was eating 1800-1900 calories, and stuck in the weight loss department. As soon as I upped to at least 2100, the weight started falling off.
  • purple_tux1
    purple_tux1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I lost tons of weight while breaestfeeding. Twice. Only problem was the weight crept back on after weaning. Twice. Doh!

I often wish I could borrow someone's twins. It would be alot easier than going for a hike.
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Been through this 3 times..Totally doable! You just need to be putting good foods (veggies, fruits, and proteins) in your body. Drink LOTS when I didn't eat or drink well I wouldn't have much milk. As long as your eating and drinking it's all good and even healthier for your little one! I always was told that breastfeeding alone will make you lose weight. Well, it didn't for me until I changed what I was putting in my mouth. As far as excercise just get down in the floor and play with your baby, go for walks with a stroller...Being a mom is exercise in itself. I wouldn't push to much on excercise unless your needing to to a set or two of situps a day to get the belly down.
    I agree. The excess weight melted off me while BF and eating uber healthy. I didn't do any exercise at all so wasn't fit but I definitely got slim.