HAPPY FAT TUESDAY!

Options
WHAT on earth is the meaning of this FAT TUESDAY holiday?

Replies

• tasha30
    tasha30 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Got this from Wikipedia:

Mardi Gras is French for "Fat Tuesday" (in ethnic English tradition, Shrove Tuesday), referring to the practice of the last night of eating richer, fatty foods before the ritual fasting of the Lenten season, which started on Ash Wednesday.
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    most people here in LA say Happy Mardi Gras...actually we don't even say that...its just Mardi Gras or Fat Tuesday.

It is a total day of gluttony before the lenten season starts...i.e. Fat Tuesday

Back at ya.
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options

My weekly weigh ins are every Tuesday, and I've always called em "FAT TUESDAY" cuz of Mardi Gras! :laugh:
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options

My weekly weigh ins are every Tuesday, and I've always called em "FAT TUESDAY" cuz of Mardi Gras! :laugh:

That is so funny
  • MariSama44
    MariSama44 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Sounds like my kind of holiday.
  • polyesterchesters
    polyesterchesters Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Here in Pennsylvania, all the churches make a german donut called a fasnaught. It has something to do with lent, I believe. I did not have a donut today, and I will not have one tomorrow either....... give them up for lent! :)
  • Carleybby
    Options
    Pancakes!
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    Here in Pennsylvania, all the churches make a german donut called a fasnaught. It has something to do with lent, I believe. I did not have a donut today, and I will not have one tomorrow either....... give them up for lent! :)

Yup - to me, here in PA - Fat Tuesday means "donut day"
    LOL

and I did NOT have a fastnacht today... I took care of that yesterday :blushing:
  • zippy111
    zippy111 Posts: 2,241 Member
    Options

Yup - to me, here in PA - Fat Tuesday means "donut day"
    LOL

and I did NOT have a fastnacht today... I took care of that yesterday :blushing:

I'm in PA as well. My daughter works at a bakery and they have been getting ready for fasnaught day for weeks. People are literally lining up around the corner at 6:30 AM to get there fasnaughts!
  • madgoth
    Options
    yes, lots and lots of pralines!
  • wacka11
    Options
    I never knew that.
  • rvkirk
    rvkirk Posts: 37
    Options
    We call it Shrove Tuesday in the UK, or pancake day:) I didn't have any yesterday but British style pancakes, not the fluffy americaknsort or the thin Crepe sort, with lemon and sugar are to die for. My mum used to spend hours making us all pancakes when we were kids. The sugar was just to high though, maybe I'll make some a day when I've done a run :love:
  • tasha30
    tasha30 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    VERY interesting. Thanks for your input guys. You learn something new EVERYDAY! :wink:
  • Kristen81
    Kristen81 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Yep...basically stuff your face with all the terrible things or THING you plan on giving up for lent. Mainly though, people just stuff their face but give nothing up for lent!